History of a Suicide: My Sister's…

History of a Suicide: My Sister's Unfinished Life

by Jill Bialosky

Reading this book hit hard on all my emotions. There were times I was moved to tears, I was bored, I was angry, I was heartbroken, I was speechless. Most often, I was frustrated - because this could have been a great book, and it is not.
Jill Bialosky often describes her sister, Kim, as a phantom after her suicide. So, too, is Kim a phantom for readers.
I never felt I really came to know Kim, though I very much wanted to. I had pieces: she did drugs, she killed herself, she had a difficult relationship with her father and she loved stuffed animals. But I so wanted a picture - both physically (there are no photos in this book) and emotionally. I wanted to hear from people who knew her other than the author. I wanted to imagine her life, her favorite places and her school days and her passions. I wanted to care very much about her as an individual - but I never really got to know her.
What I did not want, and what permeated the book, was the author's poems, stories about her son and poems by Sylvia Plath. I imagine this helped Bialosky work through her grief, but they are not part of her relationship with her reading audience - they tell us nothing about Jill or Kim, the main characters here, and just drag down the book.
It is a sad book because it is about suicide and despair. But that's a given. How much more extraordinary it would have been if the author had let readers come to know Kim, and see her, and care about her ourselves. ( )
  Eliz12 | May 17, 2013 |
Book Title: "History of a Suicide”
Author: Jill Bialosky
Published By: Atria
Age Recommended: 18+
Reviewed By: Kitty Bullard
Raven Rating: 5

Review: Jill Bialosky takes us on a deeply emotional journey through the life she feels her sister must have lived before ending it. At some points this novel is very hard to read as it delves deeply into the emotions of a young woman hurting so bad and not knowing how to ask or who to turn to for help.
This novel is one that will give you a closer look into the mind of a manically depressed woman and brings you to the realization of how they could perceive suicide as an escape. Be prepared to get out the tissues, you’re going to need them. ( )
  GMTAPublishing | Aug 2, 2012 |
When I picked up Jill Bialosky's new book, I thought: finally, someone who might understand, someone who might have answers. Suicide makes for a different kind of grief. An incomprehensible one: your mind can’t find its logic. Even though our losses and circumstances are quite different, her story resonated with my own journey toward acceptance, forgiveness and reconciliation. Jill Bialosky tries to understand why her sister, Kim, took her own life at the age of 21 in 1990. During the past 20 years, Bialosky has been an editor at W.W. Norton as well as an acclaimed poet and novelist, nursing along her own brilliant memoir of grief.

As a reader, I rode a wave of grief memoirs that began with Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking and continues today with Joyce Carol Oates' A Widow's Story. Other fine examples include Meghan O'Rouke's The Long Goodbye, Gail Caldwell's Let's Take the Long Way Home: A Memoir of Friendship, Heather Lende's Take Good Care of the Garden and the Dogs, and Kate Braestrup's Here If You Need Me: A True Story. Local Ithaca author Diane Ackerman has recently published, One Hundred Names for Love, a memoir of anticipatory grief.

The deaths of husbands, mothers, fathers, children, friends, even pets, have been the subject of touching, recent, bestselling memoirs that affirm readers who suffer similar kinds of losses and create compassion in those who can’t even imagine. But none of these recent books tells a story about losing a loved one to suicide.

History of a Suicide begins with the simple facts surrounding her sister’s suicide in 1990 and opens up a narrative on the impact suicide has on those who remain behind. The book starts out like a good mystery or detective story. Jill Bialosky wrote this page-turner in plain language. She weaves together her sister’s diaries and the words of Melville, Dickinson, Wallace Stevens and Sylvia Plath across the weft of words from doctors and psychologists. The author speaks straight into the reader’s heart with unflinching bravery. A voice filled with emotional honesty, Jill Bialosky offers reader both solace and clarity.

In 1897, Durkheim, the father of sociology, published Suicide. He studied the death statistics of France over time and discovered patterns in the aggregated cases. Downturns in the economic market, health epidemics, prospects of war and other social factors correlated to rates of suicides. What predisposing conditions, what circumstantial events, what triggers in social relations lead to self-annihilation? After more than a century we seem to know less, not more about why.

Jill Bialosky doesn’t find the answers in social demographic factors or family dysfunction. The abandonment of Kim’s father at an early age and their mother’s depression are tragic elements, but not explanations. Bialosky offers a profoundly personal and poetic investigation of her sister’s death. Part psychological autopsy, part love letter to Kim’s unfinished life, Bialosky’s memoir mirrors the minds of those loved ones left in the wake of suicide. While the details of her story are unique, the relentless search for meaning is not.

The unanswered questions left in the wake of such an unexpected end haunt survivors. Bialosky writes beautifully and sensitively about this quiet quest. She will never really know what it was like for Kim in those final moments, or, if anyone had done anything differently, would it have changed the trajectory of her sister’s short life. For all the forensic analysis applied to one young woman’s decision to end her life before it had really begun, at the end there is only the mystery. The reader is left with a sense that this feeling of no end to the “what ifs” is central to grieving in a way distinct from all other kinds of grief.

Twenty years of mourning Kim makes her an expert on what happened and how, not why. Bialosky helps the reader understand Kim and the inevitability of her death. Without judgment and filled with compassion, she lets Kim tell her own story and she shares her own with these opening words: “Kim’s suicide has forever altered the way in which I respond to the world around me.” ( )
  SwensonBooks | Dec 2, 2011 |
I'm torn. I don't want to criticize the author for such a personal and sad story. At times, I found it to be unbearably self-punishing and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone trying to recover from a loved ones suicide. There are some questions that cannot be answered and it is heartbreaking to "witness" someone on a search for those unanswered questions. ( )
  Hazel66 | Aug 1, 2011 |
This is a true story and based on the research and diary journals the author, Jill Bialosky, has compiled together. In doing this, she hopes to have a better understanding to the events that led to the suicide of her younger sister, Kim. Most of all, it is an opportunity to bring closure from her sister’s death that was not only untimely, but unexpected. This story weaves diary entries, along with police records, interviews of family and friends, and Jill’s personal recollections of her sister’s life.
This book is by no means a “how to” book, rather it sheds light into the impact suicide has to survivor’s. The series of losses both sisters experience is tragic and shows how differently they both coped. Not minimizing Kim’s life story, Jill Bialosky shares her own struggles and bouts of depression. This also is a way for Jill to not only honor her sister through telling her story, but it also shows that despite the finality of death, the soul and spirit live.
It is a book I would recommend to those working with suicidal clients and families, as well as those affected by suicide. This is also a great book for those who love memoirs. While this book does deal with serious subject mater, there are moments where both sisters experienced some great memories. ( )
  booksintheburbs | Jul 14, 2011 |

The author presents an account of her sister's suicide, and the lifelong impact that the suicide has had on her own life and the lives of the other members of her family.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,322,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible