Boomerang by Michael Lewis

Boomerang

by Michael Lewis

Who knew it could be so enjoyable reading about the financial crisis, explained with examples from several key areas of the world? Fascinating. Iceland, Greece, Ireland, USA -- these are some of the countries in what he calls the New Third World. We have been undone by our ancient lizard nature of greed, where short term satisfaction overwhelms common sense. Hilarious and sobering all at once. ( )
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |
A very interesting, and entertaining, look at the financial crisis mainly of 2008-2011. Primarily Greece, Ireland, Iceland, Germany, and California [US]. As an interesting juxtaposition I was reading this at the same time as reading Steinbeck's "Travels with Charley" while being trapped in a 30" snowstorm in PA. Lewis is an exceptional writer at getting to what something is - why it is - why it works - why it doesn't work - and the people behind it all. His actual travels to Iceland, Ireland, Germany, and Cali are all detailed and the collection of people he interviews comes to life easily and intelligently. You get behind the people and understand the financial crisis - which in the terms of these banks and the way the different collapses happened for these different places isn't the easiest to understand (for a non-Economic bent mind like myself). ( )
  BenKline | Jan 31, 2016 |
Michael Lewis is an outstanding financial and business writer. His investigation and connecting the dots are interesting and educational. He is able to illuminate complex subjects in an engaging manner. ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
A very funny account of countries and people affected by the great financial meltdown of 2008. The author calls it financial disaster tourism.
  danoomistmatiste | Jan 24, 2016 |
  kkhambadkone | Jan 17, 2016 |
To Doug Stumpf, gifted editor and gentle soul, without whom it never would have occurred to me to tour the ruins
This book began accidentally, while I was at work on another book, about Wall Street and the 2008 U.S. financial disaster.

As Pogo once said, "We have met the enemy and he is us."

The tsunami of cheap credit that rolled across the planet between 2002 and 2008 was more than a simple financial phenomenon: it was temptation, offering entire societies the chance to reveal aspects of their characters they could not normally afford to indulge.

Icelanders wanted to stop fishing and become investment bankers. The Greeks wanted to turn their country into a piñata stuffed with cash and allow as many citizens as possible to take a whack at it. The Germans wanted to be even more German; the Irish wanted to stop being Irish.

Michael Lewis's investigation of bubbles beyond our shores is so brilliantly, sadly hilarious that it leads the American reader to a comfortable complacency: oh, those foolish foreigners. But when he turns a merciless eye on California and Washington, DC, we see that the narrative is a trap baited with humor, and we understand the reckoning that awaits the greatest and greediest of debtor nations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:31 -0400)

Presents the author's darkly humorous investigation of the effects of the 2008 financial bubble on other countries before taking aim at greedy debtors in California and Washington, D.C.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible