Boomerang by Michael Lewis

Boomerang

by Michael Lewis

Michael Lewis is a good writer. He can bring clarity to a very complicated issue. I listened to this one. Dylan Baker was a good reader. My husband joined me for parts of the book and it opened up interesting discussions. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
This tour of both foreign and domestic economies is equal parts enlightening and frightening. I think the conclusion of this journey is much more complicated than what Lewis conveys in summation. But this book is a strong first step for the layman. ( )
  Angelina-Justice | Feb 3, 2014 |
Didn't know there were different kinds of hobbits ( mentioned in part one ) ( )
  BakuDreamer | Sep 7, 2013 |
Lewis is a journalist who specializes in political analysis. This is a thoroughly documented history of economic meltdown in Iceland, Germany, Ireland and Greece resulting from unregulated banking and socioeconomic policies that have failed these countries and that threaten much of the western world as well. It is a warning to those who will listen. While the topic may seem heavy, it is well written and relatively easy to read, as well as being entertaining. It is a "must read" for anyone even remotely interested in world economic failures and current policies. ( )
1 vote mldavis2 | Jul 22, 2013 |
330.9
  offblack | May 9, 2013 |
To Doug Stumpf, gifted editor and gentle soul, without whom it never would have occurred to me to tour the ruins
This book began accidentally, while I was at work on another book, about Wall Street and the 2008 U.S. financial disaster.

As Pogo once said, "We have met the enemy and he is us."

The tsunami of cheap credit that rolled across the planet between 2002 and 2008 was more than a simple financial phenomenon: it was temptation, offering entire societies the chance to reveal aspects of their characters they could not normally afford to indulge.

Icelanders wanted to stop fishing and become investment bankers. The Greeks wanted to turn their country into a piñata stuffed with cash and allow as many citizens as possible to take a whack at it. The Germans wanted to be even more German; the Irish wanted to stop being Irish.

Michael Lewis's investigation of bubbles beyond our shores is so brilliantly, sadly hilarious that it leads the American reader to a comfortable complacency: oh, those foolish foreigners. But when he turns a merciless eye on California and Washington, DC, we see that the narrative is a trap baited with humor, and we understand the reckoning that awaits the greatest and greediest of debtor nations.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:40 -0400)

Presents the author's darkly humorous investigation of the effects of the 2008 financial bubble on other countries before taking aim at greedy debtors in California and Washington, D.C.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,603,111 books! | Top bar: Always visible