Boomerang by Michael Lewis

by Michael Lewis

Recently added byrabry7, LT_Ammar, ehelmke, private library, jdjdjd, nbcarmel, shawn0122, xMMynsOtcgan5Gd47

Michael Lewis ratcheted up the quality of his work with this book, a natural outgrowth of his excellent "The Big Short." It is funnier by miles than many of his other works, more well-researched by many degrees, broader in scope yet finely detailed, and flummoxing with the revelations of jaw-dropping particulars. I understand something about Lewis now, he likes to tell stories through the eyes of outlandish and outsized human beings. They're in spades here. Great read. ( )
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
To adapt the old saying, I'd read a phone book if it was written by Michael Lewis. As a spin-off from The Big Short this isn't one of his seminal works, but it still contains plenty of fine vignettes; best of all are the two top Greek economists who insist on meeting the author separately because they can't stand each other. "This, I'm told, is very Greek." ( )
  alexrichman | Mar 24, 2015 |
A remarkable book about economics that made me laugh out loud, cringe at the things greed causes people to do, and grimace with fright at how fragile the global economy can be. ( )
  eapalmer | Dec 20, 2014 |
Michael Lewis is a good writer. He can bring clarity to a very complicated issue. I listened to this one. Dylan Baker was a good reader. My husband joined me for parts of the book and it opened up interesting discussions. ( )
1 vote njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
This tour of both foreign and domestic economies is equal parts enlightening and frightening. I think the conclusion of this journey is much more complicated than what Lewis conveys in summation. But this book is a strong first step for the layman. ( )
1 vote Angelina-Justice | Feb 3, 2014 |
To Doug Stumpf, gifted editor and gentle soul, without whom it never would have occurred to me to tour the ruins
This book began accidentally, while I was at work on another book, about Wall Street and the 2008 U.S. financial disaster.

As Pogo once said, "We have met the enemy and he is us."

The tsunami of cheap credit that rolled across the planet between 2002 and 2008 was more than a simple financial phenomenon: it was temptation, offering entire societies the chance to reveal aspects of their characters they could not normally afford to indulge.

Icelanders wanted to stop fishing and become investment bankers. The Greeks wanted to turn their country into a piñata stuffed with cash and allow as many citizens as possible to take a whack at it. The Germans wanted to be even more German; the Irish wanted to stop being Irish.

Michael Lewis's investigation of bubbles beyond our shores is so brilliantly, sadly hilarious that it leads the American reader to a comfortable complacency: oh, those foolish foreigners. But when he turns a merciless eye on California and Washington, DC, we see that the narrative is a trap baited with humor, and we understand the reckoning that awaits the greatest and greediest of debtor nations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:31 -0400)

Presents the author's darkly humorous investigation of the effects of the 2008 financial bubble on other countries before taking aim at greedy debtors in California and Washington, D.C.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,762,167 books! | Top bar: Always visible