Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World by…

Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World

by Michael Lewis

Recently added bywodenthewanderer, desmondb, mstudios, ajapt, private library, MikeMonje, dwl121212, DaddyRobz

I am usually a fan of Lewis's work, but this book came across as snarky and glib. I couldn't help but feel that Lewis was phoning it in a bit after the huge success of Moneyball and The Big Short. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
3.5 stars. Interesting & informative, even to a politics & economics non-lover. Sometimes even amusing, in a somewhat scarey & depressing way. ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
Not Lewis's best. They guy is in position to get paid to go around and see what of interest he can find. He may not even quite know the question. It is a good job. And then, with his name, all he has to do is report on what he finds. He is a gifted enough writer that the reporting is passable. ( )
  Mark-Bailey | Jul 1, 2017 |
Didn't know there were different kinds of hobbits ( mentioned in part one ) ( )
  Baku-X | Jan 10, 2017 |
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
To Doug Stumpf, gifted editor and gentle soul, without whom it never would have occurred to me to tour the ruins
This book began accidentally, while I was at work on another book, about Wall Street and the 2008 U.S. financial disaster.

As Pogo once said, "We have met the enemy and he is us."

The tsunami of cheap credit that rolled across the planet between 2002 and 2008 was more than a simple financial phenomenon: it was temptation, offering entire societies the chance to reveal aspects of their characters they could not normally afford to indulge.

Icelanders wanted to stop fishing and become investment bankers. The Greeks wanted to turn their country into a piñata stuffed with cash and allow as many citizens as possible to take a whack at it. The Germans wanted to be even more German; the Irish wanted to stop being Irish.

Michael Lewis's investigation of bubbles beyond our shores is so brilliantly, sadly hilarious that it leads the American reader to a comfortable complacency: oh, those foolish foreigners. But when he turns a merciless eye on California and Washington, DC, we see that the narrative is a trap baited with humor, and we understand the reckoning that awaits the greatest and greediest of debtor nations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:31 -0400)

Presents the author's darkly humorous investigation of the effects of the 2008 financial bubble on other countries before taking aim at greedy debtors in California and Washington, D.C.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,033,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible