The Novel in the Viola by Natasha Solomons

The Novel in the Viola (2010)

by Natasha Solomons

Recently added bycherilove, Patti16, private library, arena55, chellebuck79, missmas

English (33)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (36)
If you liked loved Jane Eyre, Rebecca or The Little Princess this is the book for you! Very reminiscent with hints of all these favorites blend into this story.

Elise Landau comes from an affluent Austrian Jewish family. Needing to leave her family to escape the increasing Nazi persecution in her beloved country she travels to the rural English costal village to serve as a maid. Though realizing she was fortunate to land such an assignment she struggles with her new role as a servant. Terribly homesick and missing her family she agonizes with wait in receiving correspondence from her loved ones.

Compromising precedented social boundaries with her position Elise becomes friendly with the estate's heir Kit Rivers. She soon learns however that while these boundaries can be broken they cannot always be accepted.

Truly a "coming-of-age" story we witness Elise transform before our eyes from a innocent girl to a young woman wise beyond her years. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and highly recommend it.

How I acquired this book: Either Half.com or Amazon.com
Shelf life: Less than a year ( )
  missjomarch | Nov 8, 2014 |
While the plot line held my interest, I felt like the author of this book was more interested in trying to prove that she can write well. I found myself skimming once I got about halfway through the book because the descriptions of various places and things became monotonous and I felt myself searching for the story. Sometimes less is more when one is trying to convey a feeling. I did, however, enjoy the process of Elise leaving home and heading to Tyneford. I think I would enjoy a nonfiction book about this subject matter more, or maybe just one that was written a little better. But I'm glad I read it since it has turned me on to a possible new genre of non fiction! ( )
  ASmithey | Aug 31, 2014 |
  ASmithey | Aug 31, 2014 |
I loved this book! I read it slowly so that I would not reach the end on my first day of reading it. Also, I bought this book because of the "blurb" on the back comparing it to one of my very favorites, which is The Forgotten Garden. It fell slightly short of that mark because I figured out the end. It was the perfect read for a rainy day though. ( )
  Laura_Jones | Apr 11, 2014 |
Decent book to read in flight. ( )
  SaftaBC | Mar 17, 2014 |
For Mr. S
When I close my eyes I see Tyneford House.

In the spring of 1938 Elise Landau arrives at Tyneford, the great house on the bay. A bright young thing from Vienna forced to become a parlour-maid, she knows nothing about England, except that she won't like it. As servants polish silver and serve drinks on the lawn, Elise wears her mother's pearls beneath her uniform, and causes outrage by dancing with a boy called Kit. But war is coming and the world is changing, and Elise must change with it.

At Tyneford she learns that you can be more than one person - and that you can love more than once.

"It's the spring of 1938 and no longer safe to be a Jew in Vienna. Nineteen-year-old Elise Landau realizes her only means of escape is to advertise her services as a domestic servant in England. Fate brings her ad to the attention of Christopher Rivers, handsome scion of the aristocratic Rivers family and master of Tyneford. An anxious Elise arrives at Tyneford and immediately falls under its spell. When Christopher's young son, Kit, returns home, the two strike up an unlikely friendship that will change Tyneford--and Elise--forever"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,364,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible