Legend by David Gemmell

Legend

by David Gemmell

Series: Drenai (1)

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (infiniteletters)
    Sword in the Storm by David Gemmell (Kaczencja)
    Vengeance by Fabrice Colin (corporate_clone)
    corporate_clone: Considérée comme une oeuvre mineure de Colin, Vengeance est pourtant un roman remarquable pour amateurs d'heroic fantasy brutale et masculine. Un très bon choix pour les fans de l'univers de Drenai.

English (30)  French (5)  All languages (35)
I remember liking this book a great deal at the time, and I've gotten advice to read some other books of this series as well... on the list like everything else. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jan 26, 2016 |
Although I am not usually a fan of military fantasy, I really enjoyed Legend. It examined what it means to be a Hero and a Legend. As the characters stand up to impossible odds, they must learn about their own flaws and strengths. What does it take to be a Hero and become a legend? Can a man live up to the stories and legend that have been told about him? Should you stand and fight when failure is assured? I would definitely recommend Legend. ( )
  Cora-R | Jan 13, 2016 |
This is my first David Gemmell book and I confess that I am not a great fan of Fantasy books. On starting to read this book I almost put it down. It seemed a bit juvenile for me at first and the language was pretty modern with little or no attempt to set the language in the past... for me that is a bit of a turn-off.

So I gave it the standard 100 page read before I came to a conclusion and slowly I found I liked the characters and their development. The story line was pretty good too, the battles well described. I liked the section on training and preparations for the seige battles. It was also a bit unpredictable in places.

I think this is Gemmell's first book. I will read more and see if his writing improves with time. ( )
  Lynxear | Aug 19, 2015 |
Maybe if I didn't have so many other books to read, I'd settle down with this as it seems a generic fantasy tale about men and their staffs. Er, penises. Er, swords. But I'm sure there must be better stories told, with better characters and better writing. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
Really delightful discovery. This is rattling good military fiction wrapped up in mythical clothing. A page turner with lots of great character building, but also loads of insight and wisdom. ( )
1 vote Matt_B | Mar 19, 2015 |

David Gemmellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harrison, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Máyer, JúliaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Picacio, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tiritilli, JerryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warner, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated with love to three very special people. My father, Bill Woodford, without whom Druss the Legend would never have stood on the wall of Dros Delnoch. My mother, Olive, who instilled in me a love of stories in which heroes never lied, evil rarely triumphed, and love was always true.

And my wife, Valerie, who showed me that life can be like stories.
The Drenai herald waited nervously outside the great doors of the throne room, flanked by two Nadir guards who stared ahead, slanted eyes fixed on the bronze eagle emblazoned on the dark wood.
Book was published as "Legend" and as "Against the Horde" - please don't separate

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345379063, Mass Market Paperback)

Druss, Captain of the Axe, was the stuff of legends. But even as the stories grew in the telling, Druss himself grew older. He turned his back on his own legend and retreated to a mountain lair to await his old enemy, death. Meanwhile, barbarian hordes were on the march. Nothing could stand in their way. Druss reluctantly agreed to come out of retirement. But could even Druss live up to his own legends?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:18 -0400)

Druss, an old man, and Rek, a top swordsman, band together with the citizens of Dros Delnoch to defend the city against the thousands of invaders of Nadir

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,721,677 books! | Top bar: Always visible