Darkness, Be My Friend by John Marsden

Darkness, Be My Friend (1996)

by John Marsden

Series: The Tomorrow Series (4)

English (14)  Dutch (1)  All languages (15)
It is amazing how much detail I had forgotten with these books. It really was like reading the series for the first time, even though I knew what the endgame was.

These kids though, damn. If I was ever stuck in a warzone I'd want to be trapped with these guys. They have a great knack for survival ;)

4 out of 5 stars for me. It was like meeting an old friend for the first time in years, and realising how many gaps there are in my memory of them. ( )
  whimsicalwattle | Sep 27, 2013 |
This book was much like the 2nd book in the series for me, in that the tone of the book was more exhausted and futile in the efforts of Ellie and friends. But I would guess that would be what it is like when you are engaged in war. Not everything goes your way and people do die. Another great book in the series and I'm still looking forward to book 5. ( )
  ABShepherd | May 15, 2013 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Mar 31, 2013 |
The fourth book in the tomorrow series - and the one that stretches my suspension of disbelief to breaking point.

Having been rescued from the invaded territory in Australia, the group of guerrilla teens are returned without any training to support a team of professional soldiers. Then, it proceeds back into the dichotomy of "teens are good, adults are dumb". ( )
  horuskol | Nov 4, 2011 |

John Marsdenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dougherty, SuziNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Neil Elliot Meiers
Born 10th January 1984
Left 29th December 1995
for another adventure
I didn't want to go back.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 043985802X, Paperback)

There are only five of them left now. Ellie and her four friends, Lee, Homer, Kevin, and Fi, have reluctantly returned to New Zealand from Australia to lead more guerrilla attacks on the enemy (who invaded their country in the previous book, Tomorrow, When the War Began). The group has staged raids on their captive hometown Wirrawee from the wilderness sanctuary they call Hell, blowing up and burning enemy headquarters and bridges and supply depots, and killing with their bare hands when they must. By the end of the two sequels, The Dead of Night and A Killing Frost, they are strong and resourceful, but tired and soul-sick with the pervasive violence. Two of them have been killed, and one has killed himself in despair. When they were rescued and airlifted to New Zealand, they thought the nightmare was over. But now they have been sent back to Wirrawee to guide a party of adult raiders on a planned sabotage of a strategic airfield. Something goes wrong; the adults never come back from the raid, and Ellie and her friends are again left on their own to do what they can--and must--to survive.

Like John Marsden's other books, this story is immersed in darkness and dread. It's packed with almost unbearable suspense and breathtaking action, as the personalities and relationships of these decent country kids are eroded by the imperative for violence. Marsden fans will elbow each other aside for a copy of this one, and will look forward to the three new installments on the way. (Ages 12 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:58 -0400)

As survivors of an enemy invasion of their homeland, Ellie and her friends return to Australia as guides for soldiers from New Zealand who plan an attack on the Wirrawee airfield.

86 wanted2 pay10 pay

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,698,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible