SantaThing sign up ends in 2:38 hours (5:00 PM EST) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

Darkness, Be My Friend by John Marsden

Darkness, Be My Friend (1996)

by John Marsden

Series: The Tomorrow Series (4)

English (14)  Dutch (1)  English (15)
Darkness, Be My Friend by John Marsden is the fourth book in the series about a group of teens who return from a wilderness camping trip to find their country has been invaded and their families taken prisoner. With very few options they become guerrilla fighters, but after a particularly dangerous mission they found themselves being hunted down.

After a perilous rescue at the end of the last book, Ellie and her friends have been living safely for the past five months in New Zealand. Even though they have suffered terrible losses and are sick with fear at the thought of returning, when they are asked to go back, they know there is only one answer.

This is an excellent YA series that really takes a hard look at war and what it can do to the individuals who are swept up in it’s tumult. As there is a lot of hiding and waiting in this particular volume, the book delves into Ellie’s feelings about being responsible for the death of others, even though they are enemies and how she and the others are coping with the overwhelming grief they feel over the loss of loved ones. I have been rooting for this group since the first book and these books are ones that I look forward to reading. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jan 7, 2016 |
259 pages , Fiction. This the 4th book of 7 that chronciles the stories of a group of kids during the invasion of their homeland. The book is diary of their experiences.
  Cataloger623 | Nov 8, 2014 |
This book was much like the 2nd book in the series for me, in that the tone of the book was more exhausted and futile in the efforts of Ellie and friends. But I would guess that would be what it is like when you are engaged in war. Not everything goes your way and people do die. Another great book in the series and I'm still looking forward to book 5. ( )
  ABShepherd | May 15, 2013 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Mar 31, 2013 |

John Marsdenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dougherty, SuziNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Neil Elliot Meiers
Born 10th January 1984
Left 29th December 1995
for another adventure
I didn't want to go back. That sounds pretty casual, doesn't it? Like saying, "I don't want to go to the movie," "I think I'll give that party the flick," "I don't feel like it today."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 043985802X, Paperback)

There are only five of them left now. Ellie and her four friends, Lee, Homer, Kevin, and Fi, have reluctantly returned to New Zealand from Australia to lead more guerrilla attacks on the enemy (who invaded their country in the previous book, Tomorrow, When the War Began). The group has staged raids on their captive hometown Wirrawee from the wilderness sanctuary they call Hell, blowing up and burning enemy headquarters and bridges and supply depots, and killing with their bare hands when they must. By the end of the two sequels, The Dead of Night and A Killing Frost, they are strong and resourceful, but tired and soul-sick with the pervasive violence. Two of them have been killed, and one has killed himself in despair. When they were rescued and airlifted to New Zealand, they thought the nightmare was over. But now they have been sent back to Wirrawee to guide a party of adult raiders on a planned sabotage of a strategic airfield. Something goes wrong; the adults never come back from the raid, and Ellie and her friends are again left on their own to do what they can--and must--to survive.

Like John Marsden's other books, this story is immersed in darkness and dread. It's packed with almost unbearable suspense and breathtaking action, as the personalities and relationships of these decent country kids are eroded by the imperative for violence. Marsden fans will elbow each other aside for a copy of this one, and will look forward to the three new installments on the way. (Ages 12 and older) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:44 -0400)

As survivors of an enemy invasion of their homeland, Ellie and her friends return to Australia as guides for soldiers from New Zealand who plan an attack on the Wirrawee airfield.

63 wanted3 pay10 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,650,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible