The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz

The House of Silk

by Anthony Horowitz

1,3321075,829 (3.83)1 / 100

English (100)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (105)
Mystery, Sherlockiana
  craso | Apr 24, 2016 |
This really, really should have been good. But there are ethical problems, things left hanging where Holmes and Watson just don't seem to care. Fun references to the Doyle novels throughout, though. ( )
  lisahistory | Apr 16, 2016 |
With the approval of the Conan Doyal Estate, Mr Horowitz does a wonderful job capturing and bringing to life the House of Silk with Holmes and Watson on the case. ( )
  yvonne.sevignykaiser | Apr 2, 2016 |
This book is a great departure from Horowitz's usual style. I was sucked into the atmosphere of 1890s, smoggy London and loved the attention to small (historic) details which made the story feel so atmospheric and authentic. I've not read any Conan Doyle so only knew Sherlock Holmes by his reputation. Well, I wasn't disappointed.
The story is conveyed wholly from the point of view of Watson (Sherlock's doctor companion) and I enjoyed Watson's quirky observations of Holmes and his humour and his candour as events spiral ever deeper and more mysterious.
I gave this book four stars due to its rather slow, ponderous start. I suppose this might be in keeping with the style, but the first few chapters dragged somewhat as Watson goes on about events previous to this book which led him to be recording this adventure. However, once the story gets going for real it's a great one with plenty of twists. Horowitz cleverly weaves two (seemingly) unconnected mysteries together and I particularly enjoyed how he brought both to culmination, step by tantalising step. The main crime itself was also interesting - I wonder if Conan's Sherlock ever investigated such a modern crime? Recommended. ( )
  AnnGirdharry | Mar 30, 2016 |
This book is a mystery, and the mystery is presented well. But it is not a thriller. Mysteries-thrillers can be unputdownable. Minus the thriller element, this book is merely clever.

The author does an excellent job of carrying on the story of Sherlock Holmes as it had been written. It wasn't a thriller before, either. But Holmes was clever berore. He still is. ( )
  techeditor | Mar 11, 2016 |
So, all of the elements are there: the data, the data, the data. Nothing of consequence overlooked. And yet can Horowitz, like Holmes, make from these drops of water the possibilities of an Atlantic or a Niagara? Can he astonish us? Can he thrill us? Are there "the rapid deductions, as swift as intuitions, and yet always founded on a logical basis" that we yearn for?

Emphatically, yes. The characters are, as Conan Doyle himself would have them, as close to cliché as good writing allows. Horowitz's Watson cleverly excuses himself right at the start from any complaints about style or content by reminding us of Holmes's oft-stated judgment of the stories: "He accused me more than once of vulgar romanticism, and thought me no better than any Grub Street scribbler." We must take them on their own terms, then: Mr Carstairs, the troubled dealer in fine art, who is being watched by a mysterious stranger in a flat cap with a "livid scar on his right cheek". Carstairs's wife, the mysterious foreign adventuress. Cornelius Stillman, the bumptious American millionaire. The dastardly Boston Irish gang, led by the ruthless O'Donaghue twins. The madwoman in the attic. The creepy reverend who runs a home for boys. The big set-pieces: the train robbery; the escape from prison; the freak show; the high-speed horse-drawn carriage chase.

Dorothy L Sayers understood the rules of the Holmesian game when she remarked that "it must be played as solemnly as a county cricket match at Lord's: the slightest touch of extravagance or burlesque ruins the atmosphere". Horowitz plays a perfectly straight bat. This is a no-shit Sherlock.

Horowitz, Anthonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jacobi, Sir DerekNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wardle, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
12,13,14 ASH
For my old friend, Jeffrey S. Joseph
I have often reflected upon the strange series of circumstances that led me to my long association with one of the most singular and remarkable figures of my age. If I were of a philosophical frame of mind I might wonder to what extent any one of us is in control of our own destiny, or if indeed we can ever predict the far-reaching consequences of actions which, at the tie, may seem entirely trivial.

The Game is afoot
Baker Street Irregulars
Lead dangerous lives
(amweb)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316196991, Hardcover)

For the first time in its one-hundred-and-twenty-five-year history, the Arthur Conan Doyle Estate has authorized a new Sherlock Holmes novel.

Once again, THE GAME'S AFOOT...

London, 1890. 221B Baker St. A fine art dealer named Edmund Carstairs visits Sherlock Holmes and Dr John Watson to beg for their help. He is being menaced by a strange man in a flat cap - a wanted criminal who seems to have followed him all the way from America. In the days that follow, his home is robbed, his family is threatened. And then the first murder takes place.

Almost unwillingly, Holmes and Watson find themselves being drawn ever deeper into an international conspiracy connected to the teeming criminal underworld of Boston, the gaslit streets of London, opium dens and much, much more. And as they dig, they begin to hear the whispered phrase-the House of Silk-a mysterious entity that connects the highest levels of government to the deepest depths of criminality. Holmes begins to fear that he has uncovered a conspiracy that threatens to tear apart the very fabric of society.

The Arthur Conan Doyle Estate chose the celebrated, #1 New York Times bestselling author Anthony Horowitz to write The House of Silk because of his proven ability to tell a transfixing story and for his passion for all things Holmes. Destined to become an instant classic, The House of Silk brings Sherlock Holmes back with all the nuance, pacing, and almost superhuman powers of analysis and deduction that made him the world's greatest detective, in a case depicting events too shocking, too monstrous to ever appear in print...until now.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:32 -0400)

With approval from the estate of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, a best-selling novelist and Sherlock Holmes expert brings the greatest detective in literary history back to life on Baker Street for the first time since 1930.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible