dismiss

The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz

The House of Silk

by Anthony Horowitz

Series: Anthony Horowitz's Sherlock Holmes (1)

2,1061255,178 (3.85)1 / 139
It is 1890. A year after Holmes's death, Watson--now in a retirement home--narrates a tale of Sherlockian detection that could tear apart the very fabric of society. The story opens with a train robbery in Boston, and moves to the innocuous setting of Wimbledon.

English (121)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (125)
This was an excellent Sherlock story and Derek Jacobi was most excellent as the narrator. I recommend this audiobook to any fans of Sherlock Holmes stories. ( )
  Charrlygirl | Mar 22, 2020 |
Well done Mr. Horowitz!! I never tire of Sherlock, Watson and all who are brought together by Conan Doyle. ( )
  Klatooo | Feb 8, 2020 |
I'll say it again, Anthony Horowitz is a hell of a writer. I can't get enough of him.
For fans of Sir Conan Doyle, this is the book you must read. This books reads like it was written in the 1890s. The language, the tone, the pacing...it's just spot on. I hate to say, this book is better written then the original books. Conan Doyle invented an amazing, timeless, classic character, but to be honest, he wasn't the best writer (at least to modern eyes). Anthony Horowitz invents a classic Holmes story, but tells it better.
I can't praise it enough. ( )
  hhornblower | Feb 1, 2020 |
READ IN DUTCH

Sherlock Holmes has been immensely popular, ever since the first publication of the novels by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Fan fiction about the characters of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John H. Watson has been written since. Not always has this been a good idea though. But now, after the recent success from BBC Sherlock and American Elementary, The House of Silk certainly made a good impression.

What I liked best about it is that it just reads like a Sherlock Holmes novel by Arthur Conan Doyle. The story feels like other Sherlock Holmes' stories without feeling repetitive. Anthony Horowitz has done a great job recreating the style and world of the original Sherlock Holmes world. For that reason I just really liked the book, and I would definitely recommend this novel! ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
Before I even start to review the contents of this book I need to spend time on the cover. I picked up a hard cover copy and the jacket was what initial drew me to it. It is a rich midnight blue in colour, and the feel of it... well it feels like silk. The choice of cover was very well thought out and fits perfectly with the book.

As to the book itself, if you are a die-hard Sherlock Holmes aficionado the statement of it being a Sherlock Holmes novel may be the hook for you; combined with the fact that it has been approved and endorsed by the estate of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and you would possibly be running to have the bookstore take your money. It is at this point I feel I need to warn you, this is not, obviously written by ACD. In fact anyone who reads this would do well to remember that it is written by a current, modern day Author Horowitz and therefore will deviate dramatically from those early ACD novels.

Having said this, Horowitz does an outstanding job of staying as true as possible to the original characters, including Mycroft; they all possess the same sense of presence that carried them through the earlier novels by ACD. My only complaint with the characters, and this was mainly a dialogue issue with Watson, was his insistence in places throughout the novel to call Holmes by his given name of Sherlock. I may have missed it when reading the original works, but I can’t ever remember him doing this on any of those pages. Horowitz excellently propels old favourites such as Mrs. Hudson in the hands of the younger reader, and she is still the long suffering landlady older readers will remember. One aspect of the characters I did like from this Author, was the way in which he addressed the disdain Holmes always had for Lestrade and also how, with the hindsight that comes as we age, the way in which Watson was able to really analysis his relationship not only with Holmes, but with his marital partner.

The locales in which this novel takes place are equally invocative of the older novels, while at the same time adding a new dimension to the Holmes legacy. As ACD was writing about his famous detective as living in the same time period as himself, it was difficult for him to be objective or even, in some cases to see what exactly was going on in the streets of London and beyond; Horowitz is not limited by this as he has the annals of history to use to flesh out the era. He uses this to great effect, and also to put into context some areas of society that ACD would not have included either through his own ignorance of them, or because he did not want to offend his readers. Through the words of this Author, London in this time period came more to life than they ever did for me in the ACD novels, and this greatly added to my enjoyment of this novel.

This is no loose modern remake, and I would highly recommend this book to all readers who enjoy a good mystery, also lovers of historical fiction as it satisfies both genre requirements.

Originally reviewed on: http://catesbooknuthut.com/2014/03/07/review-the-house-of-silk-a-sherlock-holmes...

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
  TheAcorn | Nov 8, 2019 |
So, all of the elements are there: the data, the data, the data. Nothing of consequence overlooked. And yet can Horowitz, like Holmes, make from these drops of water the possibilities of an Atlantic or a Niagara? Can he astonish us? Can he thrill us? Are there "the rapid deductions, as swift as intuitions, and yet always founded on a logical basis" that we yearn for?

Emphatically, yes. The characters are, as Conan Doyle himself would have them, as close to cliché as good writing allows. Horowitz's Watson cleverly excuses himself right at the start from any complaints about style or content by reminding us of Holmes's oft-stated judgment of the stories: "He accused me more than once of vulgar romanticism, and thought me no better than any Grub Street scribbler." We must take them on their own terms, then: Mr Carstairs, the troubled dealer in fine art, who is being watched by a mysterious stranger in a flat cap with a "livid scar on his right cheek". Carstairs's wife, the mysterious foreign adventuress. Cornelius Stillman, the bumptious American millionaire. The dastardly Boston Irish gang, led by the ruthless O'Donaghue twins. The madwoman in the attic. The creepy reverend who runs a home for boys. The big set-pieces: the train robbery; the escape from prison; the freak show; the high-speed horse-drawn carriage chase.

Dorothy L Sayers understood the rules of the Holmesian game when she remarked that "it must be played as solemnly as a county cricket match at Lord's: the slightest touch of extravagance or burlesque ruins the atmosphere". Horowitz plays a perfectly straight bat. This is a no-shit Sherlock.

Horowitz, Anthonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jacobi, Sir DerekNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wardle, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
12,13,14 ASH
For my old friend, Jeffrey S. Joseph
I have often reflected upon the strange series of circumstances that led me to my long association with one of the most singular and remarkable figures of my age. If I were of a philosophical frame of mind I might wonder to what extent any one of us is in control of our own destiny, or if indeed we can ever predict the far-reaching consequences of actions which, at the tie, may seem entirely trivial.

The Game is afoot
Baker Street Irregulars
Lead dangerous lives
(amweb)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,625,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible