The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz

The House of Silk

by Anthony Horowitz

1,2941036,055 (3.83)1 / 93

English (97)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (102)
I loved this! It "felt" like a Holmes novel and had all the requisite intrigue and characters. Great read. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
I haven't read any of the classic Sherlock Holmes stories, but because this one was contemprorary I felt like it would interest me in the way I felt the classic stories wouldn't.

Horowitz draws you in from the start, and you get absorbed in the story fairly quickly. I haven't read any of the classic stories, and this really didn't impact on my enjoyment of the story overall. I did feel it was abit to drawn out in some places, and wasn't as fast paced as I expected but nonetheless, I found it thoroughly enjoyable.

The case was interesting and complex, and I wasn't disappointed at all in terms of the quality of the story I was expecting. All in all a very good book. ( )
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
After watching Foyle's War, I was already aware that Anthony Horowitz knew his way around historical detail and could tell an engrossing tale. All that I needed to discover was how Horowitz's Holmes and Watson compare to all the other versions I've read.

Very, very good, that's how. Holmes and Watson are true to Doyle's originals without limiting the author in any way. The investigation held my interest from first page to last, and I have to admit that I really enjoyed the voice of Watson.

One scene in particular stays in my memory: a laugh-out-loud moment following a hair-raising action scene in which Holmes asks Watson if he has a future as a cab driver. I'll let you find out Watson's reply!

Clues to the solution of the case were planted along the way, but all I did was mentally point them out as I sat back and enjoyed the read. I'm not about to compare my deductive skills with the great consulting detective-- although I am certainly going to be indulging in more Holmes' tales written by Anthony Horowitz! ( )
1 vote cathyskye | Jan 29, 2016 |
This was a wonderful Sherlock Holmes listening. There were several locations where the murder of people and thefts had to be solved but Holmes came to pass in danger and was arrested. Therefore it was Dr. Watson's turn to manage a part of these puzzles on his own. A part of this story was a sad subject about sexual abuse of boys and when reading or listening about it, I always get very angry. Pedophilia is something of the most terrible that there is and it is never a gentleman offense. ( )
  Ameise1 | Jan 7, 2016 |
This was a very well-written story and it echoed Conan Doyle's style very well. I thought the 'crime' covered a very dark and unpleasant area that I doubt the original author would have tackled.
However, it was a gripping tale and great to revisit some old friends.
  rosiezbanks | Nov 14, 2015 |
So, all of the elements are there: the data, the data, the data. Nothing of consequence overlooked. And yet can Horowitz, like Holmes, make from these drops of water the possibilities of an Atlantic or a Niagara? Can he astonish us? Can he thrill us? Are there "the rapid deductions, as swift as intuitions, and yet always founded on a logical basis" that we yearn for?

Emphatically, yes. The characters are, as Conan Doyle himself would have them, as close to cliché as good writing allows. Horowitz's Watson cleverly excuses himself right at the start from any complaints about style or content by reminding us of Holmes's oft-stated judgment of the stories: "He accused me more than once of vulgar romanticism, and thought me no better than any Grub Street scribbler." We must take them on their own terms, then: Mr Carstairs, the troubled dealer in fine art, who is being watched by a mysterious stranger in a flat cap with a "livid scar on his right cheek". Carstairs's wife, the mysterious foreign adventuress. Cornelius Stillman, the bumptious American millionaire. The dastardly Boston Irish gang, led by the ruthless O'Donaghue twins. The madwoman in the attic. The creepy reverend who runs a home for boys. The big set-pieces: the train robbery; the escape from prison; the freak show; the high-speed horse-drawn carriage chase.

Dorothy L Sayers understood the rules of the Holmesian game when she remarked that "it must be played as solemnly as a county cricket match at Lord's: the slightest touch of extravagance or burlesque ruins the atmosphere". Horowitz plays a perfectly straight bat. This is a no-shit Sherlock.

Horowitz, Anthonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jacobi, Sir DerekNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wardle, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
12,13,14 ASH
For my old friend, Jeffrey S. Joseph
I have often reflected upon the strange series of circumstances that led me to my long association with one of the most singular and remarkable figures of my age. If I were of a philosophical frame of mind I might wonder to what extent any one of us is in control of our own destiny, or if indeed we can ever predict the far-reaching consequences of actions which, at the tie, may seem entirely trivial.

The Game is afoot
Baker Street Irregulars
Lead dangerous lives
(amweb)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316196991, Hardcover)

For the first time in its one-hundred-and-twenty-five-year history, the Arthur Conan Doyle Estate has authorized a new Sherlock Holmes novel.

Once again, THE GAME'S AFOOT...

London, 1890. 221B Baker St. A fine art dealer named Edmund Carstairs visits Sherlock Holmes and Dr John Watson to beg for their help. He is being menaced by a strange man in a flat cap - a wanted criminal who seems to have followed him all the way from America. In the days that follow, his home is robbed, his family is threatened. And then the first murder takes place.

Almost unwillingly, Holmes and Watson find themselves being drawn ever deeper into an international conspiracy connected to the teeming criminal underworld of Boston, the gaslit streets of London, opium dens and much, much more. And as they dig, they begin to hear the whispered phrase-the House of Silk-a mysterious entity that connects the highest levels of government to the deepest depths of criminality. Holmes begins to fear that he has uncovered a conspiracy that threatens to tear apart the very fabric of society.

The Arthur Conan Doyle Estate chose the celebrated, #1 New York Times bestselling author Anthony Horowitz to write The House of Silk because of his proven ability to tell a transfixing story and for his passion for all things Holmes. Destined to become an instant classic, The House of Silk brings Sherlock Holmes back with all the nuance, pacing, and almost superhuman powers of analysis and deduction that made him the world's greatest detective, in a case depicting events too shocking, too monstrous to ever appear in print...until now.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:32 -0400)

With approval from the estate of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, a best-selling novelist and Sherlock Holmes expert brings the greatest detective in literary history back to life on Baker Street for the first time since 1930.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,177,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible