Amazonia by James Rollins

Amazonia (2002)

by James Rollins

Temple by Matthew Reilly (tottman)
    tottman: Bot are excellent adventures set in South America with secrets lurking in the jungle.
    The Ocean Dark by Jack Rogan (Scottneumann)
    Burial Ground by Michael McBride (Scottneumann)

English (32)  Italian (1)  All (33)
I'm always amused at those who want popcorn fiction to be Dostoevsky and base their reviews on this. James Rollins is fun reading. His books are like a summer blockbuster. They're supposed to be. There's nothing wrong with that. If you don't like those types of books, that's fine, but don't read them and gripe about that it's not Dostoevsky or whatever.

But yes, while Rollins is known for the Sigma Force series, this book is an early stand-alone. It is like his other books: there are secret forces of nature, mysterious plant and animals species, heroic men and animals, and intelligent women who aren't bra burning feminists, and the romance that results in an unplanned pregnancy and willing marriage. If you hate these tropes, move on. If they don't bother you, and you enjoy a good action-adventure story, then read Amazonia and every other Rollins' book you can get. ( )
  neverstopreading | Jun 28, 2018 |
Verdict: DNFed at 59%.

1.5 stars.

Let's begin with the good stuff about this book: I liked the idea of it, the exotic setting, the entire mystery aspect and its medical/science grounds. Also, I really appreciated the fact that the science throughout the book was explained extremely thoroughly - the downside of that being, of course, that the book pretty much read like a textbook.

Characters flat; writing flat; plot flat and repetitive.

I particularly did not enjoy the cheap thrills that kept being flung my way: Oh my God, deadly alligator strikes again! Please.

People died left and right - I didn't even like them that much when they were alive, so was them being savagely murdered by crazy amazon fauna supposed to make me root for anyone? I did not care one whit about any single one of them.

Overall I would say, the premise proved to be greatly intriguing; the execution - not so much. The only thing that kept me reading for as long as I did, despite my numerous misgivings, was wanting to find out what the mystery all came down to at the end - but even that urge dwindled away at some point. While I do still vaguely wonder about the outcome, I know I'm not going to revisit this novel. The plain truth is, it's simply not worth the haul.
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
I almost read the entire book in one evening, I just couldn't stop. James Rollins is master when it comes to writing adventure books and this book is so incredibly engrossing that I just couldn't stop reading. Just one more chapters, and suddenly it's two hours later. The only drawback? The romance, I don't know why, I just wasn't fond of it. I'm not against romance in adventure book, but I want it to feel real, and the romance between the main characters, well it was just corny, one step away from a harlequin novel, but beside that the book was really good! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
This book makes you think a lot deeper than your average book. It hooks you from the preface and keeps you hooked throughout the entire book till the end. Nathan Rand is tasked with going into the Amazon jungle to find clues as to where his father's research team had disappeared to, and to find out what the team had found in their research. They are plagued with horrible, unthinkable events along the way as teammates fall to peril in the jungle. This is actually one of my favorite books. Sucked me in and never let go. I love books that I can't put down and you will definitely not want to put this one down. ( )
  bookescapest | Jul 5, 2017 |
My first Rollins - and still one of my favorites ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |

James Rollinsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Molinari, AndreaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A John Petty e Rick Hourigan
amici e co-cospiratori

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060002492, Mass Market Paperback)

The Rand scientific expedition entered the lush wilderness of the Amazon and never returned. Years later, one of its members has stumbled out of the world's most inhospitable rainforest--a former Special Forces soldier, scarred, mutilated, terrified, and mere hours from death, who went in with one arm missing . . . and came out with both intact.

Unable to comprehend this inexplicable event, the government sends Nathan Rand into this impenetrable secret world of undreamed-of perils, to follow the trail of his vanished father . . . toward mysteries that must be solved at any cost. But the nightmare that is awaiting Nate and his team of scientists and seasoned U.S. Rangers dwarfs any danger they anticipated . . . an ancient, unspoken terror--a power beyond human imagining--that can forever alter the world beyond the dark, lethal confines of . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:29 -0400)

A former special forces soldier who was part of a missing expedition to the Amazon returns with only hours to live, inexplicably possessing two arms where he only had one. Nnathan Rand leads a new team to discover the truth, finding an ancient power beyond human imagining.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,235,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible