Red Heart Tattoo (Lurlene McDaniel) by…

Red Heart Tattoo (Lurlene McDaniel)

by Lurlene McDaniel

This book follows the lives of a number of senior students before and after a bomb is detonated inside the school leaving death and destruction in its wake. Unfortunately, the grief didn't ring true for me and events happened far too quickly to be really believable.

Although there were a few main characters, Morgan was certainly the lead protagonist. She was okay, but my favourite was Roth, tough, a bit of a loner and a suspect in the bombing, but underneath the ink and piercings a caring, kind young man.

The ending was also disappointing. The book finished too quickly and without closure, so I was left with a number questions about some of the main characters. I think the author should have finished the book at the last chapter. The epilogue was unnecessary, it fast-forwarded a year but left the book incomplete. A so-so read. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
When someone sets off a bomb in school, nothing is normal anymore. Nine students are killed instantly, scores injured, and one blinded.

Read rest of review at: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2012/07/23/red-heart-tattoo-lurlene-mcda...
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
Lurlene McDaniel was always one of my favorite authors when I was a teenager and to this day I still read everything she writes. As a teenager most of her books were about teenagers dying from one disease or another and how the family copes with it. In more recent years Lurlene McDaniel has taken on many topics that are in happening in society today. This one deals with a school bombing and how it effects so many people - students, teachers, parents, hospitals. ( )
  TeamDewey | Apr 30, 2014 |
This is the first book I’ve read by Larlene McDaniel, I was given a copy to review through NetGallery and find myself now trying to write a review. Larlene has written many novels as far as I can tell, she writes about love, loss, death, illness, and trauma that young people face today face.

The story starts with the explosion, 7:45 am a bomb goes off at Edison High, the explosion happened in a nanosecond, bursting first with a brilliant flash of white, followed by deafening roar....when the blast was over nothing that existed before would ever be the same.pg1

We are introduced to Morgan, high school president, her boyfriend Trent, football player, her best friend Kelli, and of course Roth, who has a reputation of the bad boy status who happens to have a wild crush on Morgan and Liza who is madly in love with Roth.
The book explores the main characters and the author gives us a view of what their life’s are like before the explosion and how it affects their lifes after.

This book touches on what it is like for high school students, not just the popular ones we get a bird’s eye view on the one’s standing off on the sidelines. The struggles youth have today with just being different. It is a good story and Larlene McDaniel does a great job of writing this book, she makes you hope Morgan can move on and be happy, you end up loving Roth and you feel bad for Liza and you want the best for them. If an author can do that with her writing I say she is a great writer.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading y/a novels.

TanaT | Aug 7, 2013 |
Red Heart Tattoo by Lurlene McDaniel
Delacorte for Young Readers – July 24, 2012
224 pages

Facebook: Yes
Twitter: @LurleneMcdaniel
Source: Publisher via Netgalley
Rating: This was an okay read for me. I am disappointed that it did not live up to its potential.
I received a copy of this book, free, in exchange for my honest review.

The lives of Edison High School students are changed dramatically and permanently after a bomb is set off inside the atrium. Morgan, the student council president and Trent the football star are the cutest couple. Mark, another football stara dn Kelli, the tumbler for the cheerleading squad are best friends with Morgan and Trent. All are part of the popular crowd. Roth is the local bad boy, an image protected as a shield to cover childhood pain. Liza, best friends with Roth and carries a long-hidden crush and another dangerous secret. Executioner and Apocalypse are students that exist on the fringes of the high school world.
I have to admit that I was really looking forward to Red Heart Tattoo. I was excited that someone had decided to fictionally tackle the violence and terror of school bombings. Unfortunately, it fell flat in way too many ways for me to say that I enjoyed this story. I remember the Paducah, Kentucky School shooting of 1997. I remember the Columbine School shooting that followed two years later. I remember the icy fingers of terror that stretched across the entire United States and the extreme reactions that followed. There were the desperate attempts to protect all the students but also to understand how people could reach this point or terror, violence and deeply-rooted hurt.
I won’t remember Red Heart Tattoo. I don’t want to because it did nothing, it didn’t put me in the mind of the bomber(s) or the victims. While, I don’t think the bombing should be glorified, there should be enough to feel something- anything. Instead, it was treated as if the school shut down for renovations. The bombing barely touched the community surrounding Edison High School, so it’s not surprising that no one else cared about what happened. Even the ending upset me. Out 224 pages, the ending sounds more of a wrap –up summary than a conclusion. I don’t agree with the reason that was given by the bombers and the diagnosis given to the lead bomber. (“Because I can” and sociopath). I think that just shows how little effort the author did to understand the mind of those who perpetuate school violence. While narcissistic sociopaths may exist in high school, they tend to do things more complicated than bombings (tend to be more like a serial killer than a mass murderer). I’m not sure if the reactions of the victims were believable.
Besides not getting into the story, I feel a little offended that this wasn’t handled better. Maybe I feel this way because I remember, I’m not sure.

Recommendation: I would not recommend this book to anyone.
What’s Next? Her website has not been updated with any news of upcoming books.

Always Shine,
Starr K
  StarrK | Aug 6, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038573462X, Hardcover)

At 7:45 a.m. on the day before Thanksgiving break, a bomb goes off at Edison High. Nine people die instantly. Fifteen are critically injured. Twenty-two suffer less severe injuries. And one is blinded. Those who survive, struggle to cope with the loss and destruction. All must find new meaning for their lives as a result of something they may never understand.

Lurlene McDaniel's signature expertise and finesse in dealing with issues of violence, death, and physical as well as emotional trauma in the lives of teens is immediate and heartrending.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:26 -0400)

Tells the story of a school bombing, portraying the relationships and events leading up to the incident as well as its repercussions.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,548,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible