The Legend of Sleepy Hollow [graphic novel]…

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow [graphic novel]

by Bo Hampton, Washington Irving

Many have seen some tv or movie variation of this story and are familiar with the storyline. I had read it in school and even watched the movie Legend of Sleepy Hollow that came out. I liked the movie, but there is always something about a good story that always beats out the movie especially when it comes to a mystery or scary story.

The story is set in 1790 in a place called Tarry Town that is in a glen called Sleepy Hollow. We meet Ichabod Crane who is a schoolmaster and who wants to marry an 18 yr old wealthy farmers daughter, Katrina Van Tassel. However, he has some competition with Abraham Van Brunt who also wants her hand. One night there is a party where all are in attendence. When Ichabod leaves he finds he is pursued by the Headless Horseman. He is the ghost of a Hessian trooper who had his head shot off by a stray cannonball during a "nameless battle" during the American Revolutionary War. Ichabod mysteriously disappears from town after that fateful night which leaves Katrina to marry Brom Bones. The story leaves in mystery saying only that Brom would look "exceedingly knowing when the story of Ichabod was related".

This is a fun story that is wrapped in love, mystery, and legend. Definitely worth the read and being free what could be better! ( )
  jesssika | Sep 9, 2014 |
This is such a classic tale...one that I know well even though this is the first time I've actually read it. Growing up on Long Island, NY, I remember visiting Washington Irving's home in Tarry Town as a child and hearing the story of Ichabod Crane at that point. I also vaguely remember watching the 1948 Disney version when I was younger (and I just re-watched on youtube...amazing how much the coquettish Katrina resembles Disney's Cinderella! ;)). However, I am so glad that I finally read Washington Irving's story, effectively set in the framework of early post-Revolution America, with its beautiful descriptions of the Hudson Valley region and eerily suspenseful language which really leaves the reader wondering "What REALLY happened to Ichabod Crane?" ( )
  KindleKapers | Jan 6, 2012 |

Hampton, Boprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Irving, Washingtonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
This is the Image Comics graphic novel adaptation of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, not the original book.

A superstitious schoolmaster, in love with a wealthy farmer's daughter, has a terrifying encounter with a headless horseman in this graphic novel adaptation of the classic story. This is Bo Hampton's 1993 Legend of Sleepy Hollow, a faithful adaptation of Washington Irving's tale surrounding the ghostly inhabitants of Tarrytown, New York around the time of the American Revolution. The cast of characters is headed up by the Headless Horseman himself! This edition boasts new covers and 16 pages of new material, including numerous preliminary sketches of scenes and characters.… (more)

3 wanted9 pay16 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,406,942 books! | Top bar: Always visible