Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty

At first, I didn't connect with Jessica. I felt even slightly ridiculous at the thought that I could even be interested in reading young adult because I was so desperately searching for anything that allowed me to relate to my 20-something self. Then, the more I read, the more I got into Jessica and her insecurities. They were just like mine. And the fact that the book ended in a cliffhanger drove me nuts. That's why I bought the second book and I'm reading it now. ( )
  lapiccolina | Jun 23, 2017 |
Loved it! I feel like I'm gonna have a special place in my heart for these books. Jessica Darling reminded me of myself a few years ago, growing up with all those anxieties. I could identify with her all through out the book and I couldn't put it down. ( )
  miss_booklion | Nov 6, 2016 |
I actually really loved this. It's smart, funny, irreverent.. and surprisingly moving. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
Lib notes: Not published as YA but suitable for high school readers. Lots of mention of sex, drinking and drugs. Jessica is a virgin but drinks a lot at parties.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Originally read in September 2010. As much as I love the Alice series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, this is the series I wish I would have read in high school. Jessica Darling is so real, trying to fit in, trying to make a name for herself, trying to get through high school safely, balancing friendships and relationships. Even though I had read the series before, so much of the story seemed new to me because I really love the writing style and the journal presentation. Excited to keep re-reading the series. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |

“My parents suck ass. Banning me from the phone and restricting my computer privileges are the most tyrannical parental gestures I can think of. Don’t they realize that Hope’s the only one who keeps me sane? . . . I don’t see how things could get any worse.”

When her best friend, Hope Weaver, moves away from Pineville, New Jersey, hyperobservant sixteen-year-old Jessica Darling is devastated. A fish out of water at school and a stranger at home, Jessica feels more lost than ever now that the only person with whom she could really communicate has gone. How is she supposed to deal with the boy- and shopping-crazy girls at school, her dad’s obsession with her track meets, her mother salivating over big sister Bethany’s lavish wedding, and her nonexistent love life?

A fresh, funny, utterly compelling fiction debut by first-time novelist Megan McCafferty, Sloppy Firsts is an insightful, true-to-life look at Jessica’s predicament as she embarks on another year of teenage torment--from the dark days of Hope’s departure through her months as a type-A personality turned insomniac to her completely mixed-up feelings about Marcus Flutie, the intelligent and mysterious “Dreg” who works his way into her heart. Like a John Hughes for the twenty-first century, Megan McCafferty taps into the inherent humor and drama of the teen experience. This poignant, hilarious novel is sure to appeal to readers who are still going through it, as well as those who are grateful that they don’t have to go back and grow up all over again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:06 -0400)

When her best friend moves away, sixteen-year-old Jessica is devastated and finds it difficult to deal with the girls at school, her obsessive parents, and her lack of a love life.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,157,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible