Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty

Loved it! I feel like I'm gonna have a special place in my heart for these books. Jessica Darling reminded me of myself a few years ago, growing up with all those anxieties. I could identify with her all through out the book and I couldn't put it down. ( )
  miss_booklion | Nov 6, 2016 |
I actually really loved this. It's smart, funny, irreverent.. and surprisingly moving. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
Lib notes: Not published as YA but suitable for high school readers. Lots of mention of sex, drinking and drugs. Jessica is a virgin but drinks a lot at parties.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Originally read in September 2010. As much as I love the Alice series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, this is the series I wish I would have read in high school. Jessica Darling is so real, trying to fit in, trying to make a name for herself, trying to get through high school safely, balancing friendships and relationships. Even though I had read the series before, so much of the story seemed new to me because I really love the writing style and the journal presentation. Excited to keep re-reading the series. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
As a formerly home-schooled high schooler, I'm always intrigued by stories of the social complexities, angst, drama, hormones, fill-in-the-blank...in the halls of teen academia.

Call my interest in this genre a morbid fascination, or exposure to the differences of experience, or perhaps a case of the grass being greener? I remember being a teenager garble~farble years ago, just one with a limited social life. Reasons notwithstanding, packing off to high school every morning is as foreign to me as living in a petting zoo, arguably with just as many annoying co-occupants, complex hierarchy statuses, poo-flinging, and questionable eating habits.

Not that I'm feeling left out by what I missed but more so, feeling enlightened enough to say that I don't feel like I missed anything. (Say that 10x really fast)

Overall, this was an easy, light, and fun read. Megan McCafferty has a way of making your inner-teen cringe, laugh, nearly cry, and or wonder how she got into your head so many years ago. The main character's inner dialog and hamster-wheel thinking is something I absolutely related to, especially in my teen years.

Perhaps some may stamp this as another teen-girl chick-lit book but for me, it was a fun, well-written peek into my unknown experiences. Which is why we all read, wouldn't you agree? ( )
  fueledbycoffee | Jun 21, 2015 |

“My parents suck ass. Banning me from the phone and restricting my computer privileges are the most tyrannical parental gestures I can think of. Don’t they realize that Hope’s the only one who keeps me sane? . . . I don’t see how things could get any worse.”

When her best friend, Hope Weaver, moves away from Pineville, New Jersey, hyperobservant sixteen-year-old Jessica Darling is devastated. A fish out of water at school and a stranger at home, Jessica feels more lost than ever now that the only person with whom she could really communicate has gone. How is she supposed to deal with the boy- and shopping-crazy girls at school, her dad’s obsession with her track meets, her mother salivating over big sister Bethany’s lavish wedding, and her nonexistent love life?

A fresh, funny, utterly compelling fiction debut by first-time novelist Megan McCafferty, Sloppy Firsts is an insightful, true-to-life look at Jessica’s predicament as she embarks on another year of teenage torment--from the dark days of Hope’s departure through her months as a type-A personality turned insomniac to her completely mixed-up feelings about Marcus Flutie, the intelligent and mysterious “Dreg” who works his way into her heart. Like a John Hughes for the twenty-first century, Megan McCafferty taps into the inherent humor and drama of the teen experience. This poignant, hilarious novel is sure to appeal to readers who are still going through it, as well as those who are grateful that they don’t have to go back and grow up all over again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:06 -0400)

When her best friend moves away, sixteen-year-old Jessica is devastated and finds it difficult to deal with the girls at school, her obsessive parents, and her lack of a love life.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,259,741 books! | Top bar: Always visible