Pecos Bill: The Greatest Cowboy of All Time…

Pecos Bill: The Greatest Cowboy of All Time (1937)

by James Cloyd Bowman

Ok, it was long, but still a fairly quick read. Definitely a boys' book, with fistfights, practical jokes, braggadocio, etc. Poor Slue-foot Sue gets put in her place but good. Also glorifies the process of clearing the plains for Indians and buffalo to make way for cattle.

But it's an engaging story, readable and accessible even to modern children. If I were a parent I'd read it with my child and use the controversial bits as teachable moments. There are good bits about courage, honor and egalitarianism, etc., too. And the pictures are marvelous - so alive, expressive, and joyful.

What struck me most significantly is that this version of [b:Pecos Bill|1558260|Pecos Bill|James Cloyd Bowman|https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/nophoto/book/50x75-4845f44723bc5d3a9ac322f99b110b1d.png|1023021]'s story is a narration, told almost straight. Sure, most of the tall-tale episodes are here, but they're not told in the familiar style that I associate w/ other tall-tale tellings. There's too much detail of sequence, too much depth of character - tall tales that I'm more familiar with are concise listings of anecdotes, with an emphasis on the humor of the exaggeration. Despite the claim in the intro. re' broad humor," I didn't find this all that funny.

And now I'm going to read my childhood favorite, [b:Pecos Bill and Lightning|9572074|Pecos Bill and Lightning|Leigh Peck|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1288033620s/9572074.jpg|14458911]" ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
These are some of the original Pecos Bill stories and if you grew up on Pecos Bill as I did you will love this volume! Some very nice plates too. ( )
  OnwardToOurPast | Mar 4, 2013 |
Full review: ( http://bachlab.balbach.net/coolread4.html#pecosbill ) in summary: probably the best collection of stories of the apocryphal legend of Pecos Bill, winner of the 1938 Newbery Honor and beautifully re-produced with original artwork. ( )
  Stbalbach | Oct 18, 2007 |

Relates some of the legends of Pecos Bill, from the moment he bounced out of his family's covered wagon to the day his long-lost brother appears and explains that Bill is not like the coyotes that have raised him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,536,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible