The Weight of Glory by C. S. Lewis

The Weight of Glory (1980)

by C. S. Lewis

2,208124,365 (4.29)23
    Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist by John Piper (atimco)
    atimco: "The Weight of Glory" is Lewis's sermon that sparked the whole idea of Christian hedonism in John Piper. Piper quotes it extensively in Desiring God, but it's good to read Lewis's thoughts in their full context.

This book is part of my C.S. Lewis collection. I went through a huge phase where I was just obsessed with anything and everything by him. While I don't agree with all of his theology, I do love his writing style and the things he has to say about faith. He was a good one. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Jul 31, 2018 |
I find it difficult to write a review of C.S.Lewis' writings... They are so intense, so deep, and varied. And that is why it takes me extra long to read and absorb anything Lewis has written.

This book is a collection of essays, presentations, addresses, full of insight and wisdom. In The Weight of Glory , my favorite of them, Lewis writes of Heaven. And it is indescribably inspiring and logical.

Here is one of the many passages I underlined:

Now, if we are made for heaven, the desire for our proper place will be already in us, but not yet attached to the true object, and will even appear as the rival of that object..... In speaking of this desire for our own far-off country, which we find in ourselves even now, I feel a certain shyness. I am almost committing an indecency. I am trying to rip open the inconsolable secret in each one of you- the secret which hurts so much that you take your revenge on it by calling it names like Nostalgia and Romanticism and Adolescence... (the desire) we cannot tell it because it is a desire for something that has never actually appeared in our existence.

Passages like this just make you sit and think. And they reveal so much of your inner perhaps yet unrealized thoughts and desires..

I'm glad I own this book as it's one I'm going to re-read for sure. ( )
  homeschoolmimzi | Mar 31, 2018 |
Beautifully crafted essays, full of wonderful ideas and arguments. ( )
  tangentrider | Aug 27, 2015 |
'Transposition' and 'On Forgiveness' were the two most powerful addresses to me. In transposition, he shows that scientists are always trying to show the way spiritual truths can be explained by physical scientific evidence. These proofs should not bother us because they are seen through a worldly lens. This is God's world and he designed it that way. God not only sees things through spiritually, but also physically. His works are intricate and loving. Just because there are physical explanations to spiritual truths does not negate the truth of their spirituality. It is just one level of their existence. 'On Forgiveness' emphasizes that we should be slow to excuse our own shortcomings and quick to forgive others as is often not the case. These addresses remind me that I have not read enough of C.S. Lewis. ( )
  erinjamieson | Jan 3, 2013 |
I loved this book, and I loved taking my time reading it. It is a collection of essays on life and faith. I think that even someone who does not consider themselves to be Christian would find something of value here. My favorite essays were "The Weight of Glory", "Is Theology Poetry?", "The Inner Ring", and "Membership".

The Weight of Glory
It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you can talk to may one day be a creature which, if you say it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship... It is in light of these overwhelming possibilities, it is with the awe and the circumspection proper to them, that we should conduct all our dealings with one another, all friendships, all loves, all play, all politics. There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub and exploit - immortal horrors or everlasting splendours.

Is Theology Poetry?
I believe in Christianity as I believe that the Sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.

The Inner Ring
And if in your spare time you consort simply with the people you like, you will again find that you have come unawares to a real inside, that you are indeed snug and safe at the centre of something which, seen from without, would look exactly like an Inner Ring. But the difference is that its secrecy is accidental, and its exclusiveness a by-product, and no one was led thither by the lure of the esoteric, for it is only four or five people who like one another meeting to do things that they like. This is friendship. Aristotle placed it among the virtues. It causes perhaps half of all the happiness in the world, and no Inner Ring can ever have it.

Membership
How true membership in a body differs from inclusion in a collective may be seen in the structure of a family. The grandfather, the parents, the grown-up son, the child, the dog, and the cat are true members (in the organic sense), precisely because they are not members or units of a homogenous class. They are not interchangeable...If you subtract any one member, you have not simply reduced the family in number; you have inflicted an injury on its structure. ( )
  nittnut | Aug 23, 2012 |
The weight of glory: If you asked twenty good men today what they thought the highest of virtues, nineteen of them would reply, Unselfishness.
Learning in War-Time: A university is a society for the pursuit of learning.
Why I am not a pacifist: The question is whether to serve in the wars at the command of the civil society to which we belong is a wicked action, or an action morally indifferent, or an action morally obligatory.
Transposition: In the church to which I belong this day is set apart for commemorating the descent of the Holy Ghost upon the first Christians shortly after the Ascension.
Is theology poetry: The question I have been asked to discuss tonight - "Is theology poetry?" - is not of my own choosing.
This work contains nine essays. Do not combine with editions containing only five. "The Weight of Glory" has been published in two major editions. The first, identical with "Transposition and other Addresses", was published with five essays in 1949 and intermittently until 1980, when an expanded edition was published, with four additional essays.

Those with pre-1980 five-essay works are invited to separate out and combine their editions with "Transposition and other Addresses".

Selected from sermons delivered by C. S. Lewis during World War II, these nine addresses offer guidance and inspiration in a time of great doubt.These are ardent and lucid sermons that provide a compassionate vision of Christianity.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:14 -0400)

Publisher's description: Selected from sermons delivered by C. S. Lewis during World War II, these nine addresses offer guidance and inspiration in a time of great doubt. These are ardent and lucid sermons that provide a compassionate vision of Christianity.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,402,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible