Cold Snap by Eileen Spinelli

Cold Snap

by Eileen Spinelli

After awhile, the illustrations with all the wonderful details started to remind me of Katy and the Big Snow. I love how almost every single thing mentioned in the text was there in the pictures somewhere (the only things I couldn't see were the thermometer at zero and the doughnuts at the bonfire). ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
The illustrations really elevate this title from a fairly innocuous picture book to something more beautiful. The story tells the tale of a town experiencing a cold snap - it's getting colder and colder every day; the icicles are getting longer and longer; people start wearing more and more layers; etc etc. The story goes on to tell how people attempt to stay warm in the increasingly bad weather and ends with a big bonfire organized by the mayor.

I enjoyed the flat perspective, folk-artish style of the illustrations. The colors are vibrant, the sense of movement is surprisingly lively given the flat perspective, and the illustrator does a really good job of contrasting the shivery coldness of the outdoors scenes with the bright warmth of things like ovens, lighted windows, steaming bathtubs, etc. ( )
  allawishus | Dec 14, 2013 |
There is a cold spell in a town and the community tries several things to warm up but nothing seeing to help. The mayors wife has a big bonfire and the whole town gets together and they are finally warm. This is a good book to have in the classroom to teach students about sharing and community. This is suitable for grades 1 and 2.
  Kitrina | Nov 13, 2013 |
The small town of Toby Mills, named after its founder General Toby, whose statue stands in the town square, experiences a cold snap in this charming wintry picture-book from author Eileen Spinelli and illustrator Marjorie Priceman. As the temperature drops and drops, the townsfolk go from happy enjoyment - the kids sledding and building snowmen, everyone partaking of hot soup and stew at Sullivan Diner - to irritation at the continued cold, and their constant efforts to stay warm. The, their mayor, conscious of their slackening morale, organizes a wonderful community event...

With the recent snowstorms here in the northeast U.S., and the continued low temperatures, Cold Snap couldn't have come at a better time in my reading schedule. I definitely identified with the freezing residents of Toby Mills, and found the tale of their wintertime doings engaging. The vibrant artwork, done by Marjorie Priceman in gouache, is colorful and appealing, capturing the community's active lifestyle. I don't know that it really speaks of winter to me - something more restrained, in paler shades, would better capture the beauty of the snowy world, I think - but then, it's depicting people in winter, rather than a winter landscape. All in all, this was a sweet little wintertime book, and is recommended to young readers looking for seasonal fare. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 12, 2013 |

It's snowy cold in the town of Toby Mills. The thermometer is sinking toward zero, and the icicle hanging from the nose of General Toby's statue is growing closer to the ground. The newspaper headline reads "COLD SNAP!" The people of the town are losing hope—and the feeling in their toes—until the mayor's wife saves the day with a toasty treat.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:29 -0400)

A cold snap has everyone in the town of Toby Mills feeling down, until the mayor's wife thinks of a way to warm things up again.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,499,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible