Applying the Manual For Living: Exercise &…

Applying the Manual For Living: Exercise & Meditation Guidebook

by Seth David Chernoff

159647,891 (4)1

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is apparently a recipe book for "New Age Groupies" with a sub-title " Exercise & Meditation Guide Book"; for those, who have refrained from a "yoga" path as "just too much work" and need a quick fix short-cut.. ( )
  Naren559 | May 19, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Great book. A companion to Manual for Living.
  WriteNowCoach | Jul 6, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I must not be in the right place in my life for this book. I tried a few times to pick it up again and follow through, but just couldn't. It is well written and I hope to someday be at the place in my life to use it. ( )
  pwagner2 | Apr 15, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm not big on manuals, but this is one of the best I've seen (well, it would be more accurately titled a workbook). I don't think you really need the original text this was based on to get something out of the manual. Also the availability of online videos is a great idea. But it would probably take up to a year to work through all of the sections -- there is a lot to consider in this large volume. Substantial spiral binding allows for hands-free use. (Covers are flimsy and could use strengthening, since it will take quite a while to get through the exercises.) Nicely done workbook. ( )
  CreativeArtist | Feb 28, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I admire Seth David Chernoff's desire to teach others what he learned as he faced serious challenges in his life and to help people achieve the necessary insights to transform their own paths in life.

While I have not read the Manual for Living, the companion guidebook seems to stand alone just fine without it. I undertook the daily program of meditation and exercises for the period of a month. Although it is a 90-day program, I didn't want to wait so long to submit my review.

The book guides us through a daily program in which we look at the various areas in our lives where we may be experiencing blockages in our energy and our ability to succeed. The day begins by viewing a short video on Mr. Chernoff's website. Although many of the videos are not yet available, the lack of video links for each lesson is not a serious handicap since they seem to be mainly for the sake of face-to-face encouragement. Each lesson also includes a short passage from the Manual for Living, and that is sufficient to get the thought processes moving in the direction that Mr. Chernoff wants us to travel.

The next step is a daily exercise requiring one to think deeply about one's life and to gain clarity about one's situation. On the basis of this exercise, one may be asked to do some exercises throughout the day to keep pondering the subject. There is also a daily mantra that is meant to be read at various moments during the day to help keep oneself on track and continuing to observe one's life. The last step of the day is an evening meditation on a seed thought or affirmation related to the theme.

I had gone through a much more intensive self-exploration and consciousness-expanding program in the past, so I had already evolved beyond many of these exercises and had already experienced a transformation in my life. Nevertheless, I think this program is a good beginning for someone who is not ready to commit to such an intensive program. Once one makes the first step onto the path of self-discovery, the soul takes over and brings forth opportunities to stay on the path and continue the process of the evolution of consciousness. This program is definitely a good first step. ( )
  JolleyG | Nov 7, 2012 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Seth David Chernoff's book Applying the Manual For Living: Exercise & Meditation Guidebook was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,458,038 books! | Top bar: Always visible