The Unreal and the Real: Selected Stories…

The Unreal and the Real: Selected Stories Volume One: Where on Earth (edition 2012)

by Ursula K. Le Guin

Member:quilted_kat
Title:The Unreal and the Real: Selected Stories Volume One: Where on Earth
Authors:Ursula K. Le Guin
Info:Small Beer Press (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:short stories

The Unreal and the Real: Selected Stories Volume Two: Outer Space, Inner Lands by Ursula K. Le Guin

Ursula Le Guin has been a significant force in my reading life since I borrowed A Wizard of Earthsea from North Watford library, around age 8 or 9. This career-spanning selection of short stories was an interesting and moving experience to revisit old favourites (‘The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas’), to discover some new-to-me tales (especially ‘The Poacher’, a variation on Sleeping Beauty), and to be reminded of the early roots of both the Hainish universe and Earthsea. Ursula Le Guin is one of my all time favourite writers, because the worlds she creates have grown and changed over time, challenging me to reflect, grow and change too. And because she tells brilliant stories, whether a few or a 100 pages long, at novel length, or across the now six books following Ged, Tenar and others on their life’s journeys across the islands of Earthsea. ( )
  Bernadette877 | Apr 28, 2015 |
  Bernadette877 | Apr 28, 2015 |
Fabulous.

Is there anything that Ursula does wrong?

Didn't think so. ( )
  coolsnak3 | Feb 3, 2015 |
This volume of Le Guin's stories contains the work that is perhaps furthest from what you expect of her, which would usually be science fiction and fantasy. These are her realist works, which doesn't mean straight forward or more serious or anything like that. It just means that they do, or could, take place in the world we're used to.

While Le Guin's writing is always beautiful, and I love the atmosphere of her stories -- there's something cool and clear about them, something steady and patient and knowing -- I'm not a big fan of most of these stories. They're very literary, sometimes to the point where I find them a little overdone, maybe pretentious. I'm not quite sure what the word I want is, but anyway, a lot of these don't work for me. They make me feel not clever enough, or just frustrated with their meandering. ( )
  shanaqui | Jun 8, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ursula Le Guin's short stories are always provocative and beautiful in their language. While I had read most of these stories in other formats before, this is a marvelous collection to cherish of many of her most important works. ( )
  ronincats | May 21, 2014 |
There are dozens of definitions of what "science fiction" is; few are useful and none is definitive. (from Introduction)
With a clamor of bells that set the swallows soaring, the Festival of Summer came to the city Omelas, bright-towered by the sea.

Where on Earth explores Le Guin's earthbound stories which range around the world from small town Oregon to middle Europe in the middle of revolution to summer camp.Companion volume Outer Space, Inner Lands includes Le Guin's best known nonrealistic stories.… (more)

13 wanted1 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Unreal and the Real: Outer Space, Inner Lands by Ursula K. Le Guin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,298,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible