The River of Doubt: Theodore…

The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey

by Candice Millard

The Lost City of Z by David Grann (VaterOlsen)
    In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the U.S.S. Jeannette by Hampton Sides (davesmind)
    The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris (CSL)
    CSL: Those looking for more about the most remarkable Theodore Roosevelt couldn't do better than to consult this first volume of Edmund Morris' (hopefully) three volume biography of the 26th President.

This is the true story of the expedition led by Teddy Roosevelt and Cândido Rondon down an unexplored Amazonian river in 1913-14. The trip was plagued by bad decisions, lost canoes, low rations, bugs, disease, hostile indigenous people, bugs, piranha, fish that make piranha look friendly, bugs. And Roosevelt thought that losing an election was the worst that could happen to him.

It's not the kind of book I would have picked out (book club choice), but I'm glad I read it. I enjoyed the Saturday morning adventure movie parts of it more than the natural history part or the political biography part, but that's just me.I wonder if it would have drawn more of my careful attention if I read it instead of listened to the audiobook. ( )
  CasualFriday | May 17, 2015 |
The author tells the story of T. Roosevelt's adventure down an uncharted river in the Brazilian Amazon, after his 3rd party bid for the presidency failed. Very well told, excellent detail, especially the descriptions of the jungle itself. Highly recommend. ( )
  addunn3 | Apr 30, 2015 |
Exciting and interesting. I read it because my dad did. I've not read enough other similar books to judge it objectively or say anything really, but I did really like it. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
We listened to this audio book during our camping trip in the swamps of Georgia - it was certainly a fitting tale for our adventure! The book focuses on Theodore Roosevelt's journey in the Amazon, where he successfully attempts to navigate through uncharted territory known only as the River of Doubt. What a story! Even though I knew he would survive, the facts are so amazing, you simply can't believe some of the things that occurred. Definitely a page turner. The only downside for me was a few sections where the author went into elaborate background detail for unrelated (or semi-related) concepts, which I selfishly admit I enjoyed when I cared about the topic, and was slightly bored when I didn't care as much.

With regards to the audio - we both really enjoyed this particular narrator. He has a good speaking voice, and did a great job differentiating between the characters. ( )
  skrouhan | Apr 9, 2015 |
Great story of T. Roosevelt's Amazon journey, after he was president, and how he barely survived it. ( )
  kslade | Apr 7, 2015 |
The line outside Madison Square Garden started to form at 5:30 p.m., just as an orange autumn sun was setting in New York City on Halloween Eve, 1912.
Teddy takes a trip
Murder, illness, starvation
Sloop John B was right
(amweb)

At once an incredible adventure narrative and a penetrating biographical portrait, The River of Doubt is the true story of Theodore Roosevelt’s harrowing exploration of one of the most dangerous rivers on earth.

The River of Doubt—it is a black, uncharted tributary of the Amazon that snakes through one of the most treacherous jungles in the world. Indians armed with poison-tipped arrows haunt its shadows; piranhas glide through its waters; boulder-strewn rapids turn the river into a roiling cauldron.

After his humiliating election defeat in 1912, Roosevelt set his sights on the most punishing physical challenge he could find, the first descent of an unmapped, rapids-choked tributary of the Amazon. Together with his son Kermit and Brazil’s most famous explorer, Cândido Mariano da Silva Rondon, Roosevelt accomplished a feat so great that many at the time refused to believe it. In the process, he changed the map of the western hemisphere forever.

Along the way, Roosevelt and his men faced an unbelievable series of hardships, losing their canoes and supplies to punishing whitewater rapids, and enduring starvation, Indian attack, disease, drowning, and a murder within their own ranks. Three men died, and Roosevelt was brought to the brink of suicide. The River of Doubt brings alive these extraordinary events in a powerful nonfiction narrative thriller that happens to feature one of the most famous Americans who ever lived.

From the soaring beauty of the Amazon rain forest to the darkest night of Theodore Roosevelt’s life, here is Candice Millard’s dazzling debut.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:21 -0400)

Chronicles the 1914 expedition of Theodore Roosevelt into the unexplored heart of the Amazon basin to explore and map the region surrounding a tributary called the River of Doubt, detailing the perilous conditions they faced.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,148,178 books! | Top bar: Always visible