The Reason I Jump by Naoki Higashida

The Reason I Jump

by Naoki Higashida

English (102)  Dutch (2)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (105)
Essential reading for everybody. A beautiful translation too. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
Good book for anyone who knows someone with autism. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
What Made Me Read It A friend of mine has an autistic child and I was curious to know more about the condition, to try to imagine what must have been like to face that challenge.
What It's About "The Reason I Jump" is written by Naoki Higashida himself, a 13 year old Japanese boy diagnosed with non-verbal autism. The book is written in a Q&A format, with Higashida answering a series of questions most frequently asked about common behaviors of autistic people, using his own voice and experience of what it's like to be someone like him. Higashida explains his behavior, thought process and hopes, giving us a glimpse into the heart, mind and soul of a boy unable to communicate easily with the world around him. "The Reason I Jump" includes a short story, also written by Higashida, about a boy called Shun who dies and goes to heaven but still sees his old family and the pain they are in. "The Reason I Jump" are the personal experiences of a particular individual, Naoki Higashida, from a specific culture, Japan. This book is a short read and by no means meant to be a textbook guide on autism. This disorder is complex and varied, each individual unique in both personal experiences and culture influence so not all autistic people will think, feel and behave the same way this 13 year old Japanese boy does. Still, it can give us a general understanding of how people with autism experience and conceptualize the world around them, which makes it particularly helpful for parents, relatives and friends of autistic people.
Read the full review on: https://literaryportals.blogspot.com/2018/07/book-review-reason-i-jump-inner-voi...
Final Rating Recommended for those in close contact with people in the autistic spectrum and anyone interested in this condition. ( )
  LiteraryPortals | Nov 9, 2018 |
An amazing book that everyone should, giving an insight into the mind of a boy with Autism and his view on the world and how it interacts with him. ( )
  booksonshelves | Oct 27, 2018 |
I have mixed feelings about this book. First of all, I wish I had read this when I still worked with children with autism. I was an ABA therapist for two years, and the insight that this book has to offer would have added another dimension to my work.

Despite the often insightful passages, there are several problems with this book. It is difficult for me to believe that this book was written by a 13-year-old nonverbal Japanese boy. There is little explanation as to how Naoki physically write this book, and just how much his mother assisted him. I agree with Michael Fitzpatrick, a medical writer known for his work on autism, when he says that The Reason I Jump is full of "moralizing" and "platitudes" that sound like the views of a middle-aged parent of a child with autism. "I have spent much time pondering what is going on in the mind of my autistic son," Fitzpatrick said in a 2013 Spiked article. "But I have come around to agreeing with the pioneering Austrian pediatrician Hans Asperger that 'the autist is only himself' – there is nobody trapped inside, no time traveler offering redemption to humanity...I believe that my son enjoys swimming pools because he likes water, not because, in the fanciful speculations of Higashida, he is yearning for a 'distant, distant watery past' and that he wants to return to a 'primeval era' in which 'aquatic lifeforms came into being and evolved'."

Overall, this book is a quick read and worth your time. A lot of people LOVE this book. Just take it with a grain of salt. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |

Naoki Higashidaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Damsma, HarmTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kai & SunnyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Middelthon, MariusOvers.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miedema, NiekTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, DavidTranslator and Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Picasso, TomNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yoshida, K ATranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I was small, I didn't even know I was a kid with special needs.

You’ve never read a book like The Reason I Jump. Written by Naoki Higashida, a very smart, very self-aware, and very charming thirteen-year-old boy with autism, it is a one-of-a-kind memoir that demonstrates how an autistic mind thinks, feels, perceives, and responds in ways few of us can imagine. Parents and family members who never thought they could get inside the head of their autistic loved one at last have a way to break through to the curious, subtle, and complex life within.

Using an alphabet grid to painstakingly construct words, sentences, and thoughts that he is unable to speak out loud, Naoki answers even the most delicate questions that people want to know. Questions such as: “Why do people with autism talk so loudly and weirdly?” “Why do you line up your toy cars and blocks?” “Why don’t you make eye contact when you’re talking?” and “What’s the reason you jump?” (Naoki’s answer: “When I’m jumping, it’s as if my feelings are going upward to the sky.”) With disarming honesty and a generous heart, Naoki shares his unique point of view on not only autism but life itself. His insights—into the mystery of words, the wonders of laughter, and the elusiveness of memory—are so startling, so strange, and so powerful that you will never look at the world the same way again.

In his introduction, bestselling novelist David Mitchell writes that Naoki’s words allowed him to feel, for the first time, as if his own autistic child was explaining what was happening in his mind. “It is no exaggeration to say that The Reason I Jump allowed me to round a corner in our relationship.” This translation was a labor of love by David and his wife, KA Yoshida, so they’d be able to share that feeling with friends, the wider autism community, and beyond. Naoki’s book, in its beauty, truthfulness, and simplicity, is a gift to be shared.

Advance praise for The Reason I Jump

The Reason I Jump is a wise, beautiful, intimate and courageous explanation of autism as it is lived every day by one remarkable boy. Naoki Higashida takes us ‘behind the mirror’—his testimony should be read by parents, teachers, siblings, friends, and anybody who knows and loves an autistic person. I only wish I’d had this book to defend myself when I was Naoki’s age.”—Tim Page, author of Parallel Play and professor of journalism and music at the University of Southern California

“[Higashida] illuminates his autism from within. . . . Anyone struggling to understand autism will be grateful for the book and translation.”Kirkus Reviews

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:17 -0400)

Written by a very smart, very self-aware, and very charming thirteen-year-old boy with autism, this is a one-of-a-kind memoir that demonstrates how an autistic mind thinks, feels, perceives, and responds in ways few of us can imagine. Parents and family members who never thought they could get inside the head of their autistic loved one at last have a way to break through to the curious, subtle, and complex life within. With disarming honesty and a generous heart, Naoki shares his unique point of view on not only autism but life itself. His insights--into the mystery of words, the wonders of laughter, and the elusiveness of memory--are so startling, so strange, and so powerful that you will never look at the world the same way again. In his introduction, bestselling novelist David Mitchell writes that Naoki's words allowed him to feel, for the first time, as if his own autistic child was explaining what was happening in his mind. This translation was a labor of love by David and his wife, KA Yoshida, so they'd be able to share that feeling with friends, the wider autism community, and beyond.--From publisher description.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Naoki Higashida's book The Reason I Jump was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,139,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible