Looking Good Dead by Peter James

Looking Good Dead (2006)

by Peter James

6581920,998 (3.7)35

English (13)  Danish (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (19)
This is the second book in the Roy Grace series. In both cases the pace was a bit slow, then ultra fast paced toward the end, quite a contrast but exciting to read. This one was quite scary because of the awful activities of the bad guys - taking videos of people being killed that they were killing for the purpose of selling the videos to a creep audience that gets off on watching that kind of thing. Again, though the pace at first was a bit slow and meandering and again it really took off toward the end, becoming almost too fast-paced and thrilling, by comparison. So, I am in two minds about this series, interesting characters but slow pace until near the end. The author has apparently spent a lot of time shadowing his local police force to help him make his books more realistic, but I think he goes too far with too much unnecessary detail that takes a heavy toll on the pace and suspense dimensions. ( )
  MitchMcCrimmon | Apr 27, 2018 |
Detective Superintendent Roy Grace gets better and better as these books progress. He has intelligence but at the same time he shows his human side and he works well with his co-workers. Although, it is not just Grace that I enjoy about these books but the story as well. Instantly, I connect with the story in the moment and stay engaged all the way until the end.

While, Tom Bryce may have been fighting for his family, he still put up a good fight. Yet, I probably would have done the same thing if I had been in Tom's shoes. A reason why I was very intrigued by this storyline is because it dealt with "snuff" films. Yes, they are real and no I have never watched one. Even with this subject matter in this book, the blood was limited and not gory. So, fans of a good mystery/thriller will enjoy this book. I know I did and plan to continue my journey reading these books and seeing what new cases Grace finds himself solving. ( )
  Cherylk | Oct 21, 2017 |
Not for the squeamish. I had to put the book down a few times, but the main characters are compelling and kept me reading. All of the gore and the action made me think that the author was writing this with a view to the Hollywood movie version of the book.
This novel was definitely not as good as the first Roy Grace novel, Dead Simple. That first novel was terrific. Because of the characters, I will read the next book in the series, I just hope that it's better than this story. 2.5 Stars. ( )
  Icewineanne | Aug 4, 2016 |
Everything a great thriller should be: strong characters, a plot that keeps you turning the pages till the last one. Great book. ( )
  deblemrc | Apr 2, 2014 |
“Slowly the cap began to turn. It took five, maybe six full turns before it came away in his hand. A vile, burning acrid reek instantly filled his nostrils. He lurched back, choking, dropping the cap and hearing it roll away in the darkness.” – Looking Good Dead

Not quite the same sense of urgency as Dead Simple, but gripping all the same. More a slow burn with the middle being the best reading (for me). ( )
  VickiTyley | Feb 24, 2013 |
Ze filmen, ze moorden, ze genieten...
Voor Helen
De voordeur van het ooit zo trotse herenhuis ging open en een langbenige jonge vrouw in een korte zijden jurk, die tegelijkertijd aan haar lichaam leek te kleven en op te waaien, stapte het zachte zonlicht van juni in, op de laatste ochtend van haar leven.

Tom Bryce did what any decent person would do. But within hours of picking up the CD that had been left behind on the train seat next to him, and attempting to return it to its owner, he is the sole witness to a vicious murder. Then his young family are threatened with their lives if he goes to the police. But supported by his wife, Kellie, he bravely makes a statemenet to the murder enquiry team headed by Detective Superintendent Roy Grace, a man with demons of his own to contend with. And from that moment, the killing of the Bryce family becomes a mere formality — and a grisly attraction. Kellie and Tom's deaths have already been posted on the internet; you can log on and see them on a website. They are looking good dead.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:22 -0400)

When Tom Bryce becomes the sole witness to a vicious murder, his family are threatened with their lives if he goes to the police. But supported by his wife he bravely makes a statement to the murder enquiry team. From that moment, the death of Tom's family is merely a formality.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,023,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible