Farewell Summer by Ray Bradbury

Farewell Summer

by Ray Bradbury

Series: Green Town (2)

It's really Bradbury. It's really not Dandelion Wine. Nothing ever is. ( )
  mobill76 | Apr 22, 2014 |
The sequel to the excellent Dandelion Wine. Written in the 2000s when Bradbury was past his best, & unfortunately it shows. ( )
  marek2010 | Nov 7, 2013 |
Follow-up to Dandelion Wine. If you think of it as Jean Sheppard or Garrison Keillor with a twist you get the idea. Not as good as its predecessor, but Bradbury still reminds you why he is a master. ( )
  PghDragonMan | Aug 13, 2013 |
I was standing at Powell's the other day, saw this book, and actually shrieked right there in the aisle. I had no idea this was in the works. You'd think the Bradbury machine could have sent me an email, no? This one picks up a summer or two after Dandelion Wine, at the tail end of the summer. The old man has the old men nailed this time. As one might expect. However, he's still fully aware of what it's like to be a youth, teetering on the brink. There's a kiss in this book, and some silliness that will make you smile. There are bits of it that feel a little contrived, but not so's you'd notice much. It's a delightful addition to the Spaulding canon. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
In his afterword to Farewell Summer, "The Importance of Being Startled", Ray Bradbury writes: "Surprise is everything with me. When I go to bed at night I give myself instructions to startle myself when I wake in the morning. That was one of the great adventures in letting this novel evolve: my instructions at night and my being startled in the morning by revelations."

He certainly opens and closes the novel with a couple of startling revelations, and there are plenty of other surprises along the way. He had me laughing out loud in pure delight. I know a lot of fans of Dandelion Wine found this followup disappointing, but personally, I think I enjoyed it even more (and I loved Dandelion Wine too, you can read my review of it here: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1NBOJWF984KYH). It's shorter and not as wide-ranging, but in a way that's it's strength: it's more of an integrated whole than just a collection of interconnected short stories, more narrowly focused, more sort of concentrated, and can thereby have a more powerful impact. As in Dandelion Wine, Bradbury deftly uses summer and its coming to an end as a metaphor for this time of life on the cusp of young adulthood, but he does not idealize childhood in the sense of naively enshrining youthful innocence and bemoaning the necessity of growing up. This is especially clear here in Farewell Summer, in which he writes explicitly that "The worst thing is to never grow up," and shows us in depth, even while reminding us of the wonders of childhood, what we'd be missing if we never experienced adulthood.

And of course, the "war" between the kids and the old people, which provides sort of the main storyline, is not only thematically interesting but also very amusing. It's nice to see Mr. Quartermain fleshed out after his brief but hilarious appearance in Dandelion Wine...poor Cal never gets a break! ( )
  AshRyan | Sep 10, 2012 |

Ray Bradburyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fass, RobertNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With love to John Huff, alive many years after Dandelion Wine
There are those days which seem a taking in of breath which, held, suspends the whole earth in its waiting.

In a summer that refuses to end, in the deceiving warmth of earliest October, civil war has come to Green Town, Illinois. It is the age-old conflict: the young against the elderly, for control of the clock that ticks their lives ever forward. The first cap-pistol shot heard 'round the town is dead accurate, felling an old man in his tracks, compelling town elder and school board despot Mr. Calvin C. Quartermain to marshal his graying forces and declare total war on the assassin, thirteen-year-old Douglas Spaulding, and his downy-cheeked cohorts. Doug and his cronies, however, are most worthy adversaries who should not be underestimated, as they plan and execute daring campaigns—matching old Quartermain's experience and cunning with their youthful enthusiasm and devil-may-care determination to hold on forever to childhood's summer. Yet time must ultimately be the victor, with valuable revelations for those on both sides of the conflict. And life waits in ambush to assail Doug Spaulding with its powerful mysteries—the irresistible ascent of manhood, the sweet surrender to a first kiss . . .

One of the most acclaimed and beloved of American storytellers, Ray Bradbury has come home, revisiting the verdant landscape of one of his most adored works, Dandelion Wine. More than fifty years in the making, the long-awaited sequel, Farewell Summer, is a treasure—beautiful, poignant, wistful, hilarious, sad, evocative, profound, and unforgettable . . . and proof positive that the flame of wonder still burns brightly within the irrepressible imagination of the incomparable Bradbury.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:05 -0400)

"In a summer that refuses to end, in the deceiving warmth of earliest October, civil war has come to Green Town, Illinois. It is the age-old conflict: the young against the elderly, for control of the clock that ticks their lives ever forward. The first cap-pistol shot heard 'round the town is dead accurate, felling an old man in his tracks, compelling town elder and school board despot Mr. Calvin C. Quartermain to marshal his graying forces and declare total war on the assassin, thirteen-year-old Douglas Spaulding, and his downy-cheeked cohorts. Doug and his cronies, however, are most worthy adversaries who should not be underestimated, as they plan and execute daring campaigns - matching old Quartermain's experience and cunning with their youthful enthusiasm and devil-may-care determination to hold on forever to childhood's summer. Yet time must ultimately be the victor, with valuable revelations for those on both sides of the conflict.And life waits in ambush to assail Doug Spaulding with its powerful mysteries - the irresistible ascent of manhood, the sweet surrender to a first kiss."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,113,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible