Revival: A Novel by Stephen King

Revival: A Novel (edition 2015)

by Stephen King

Member:TheAlternativeOne
Title:Revival: A Novel
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Gallery Books (2015), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Fantasy

Revival by Stephen King

English (127)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All (132)
For a while, I actually thought that this would be the first book I would give five stars to in ages. But in the end, it just got four stars. Why? Because of the ending. I just didn't like it very much. It was very depressing and for some reason, it felt like a letdown. All I could think was: "Is that all, have I been reading all day for that kind of ending?" I would rather have had a more ambiguous ending to the story. Instead of just the bleak ending. (I need to read something cheerful after this...) However, I'm sure there are people that will love the ending, and it was not a bad ending, but perhaps I'm just a gal that what some hope in the end...

The rest of the book was great, I love Jamie and his family. I love watching him growing up, hell I would have loved reading a book about Jamie's life without Charles Jacobs. I know Jamie would have been a hell of a lot of happier without him in his life. Stephen King is a master telling tales, he has an uncanny ability to create interesting characters (both good and bad) and this book is one his greatest! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
This one will haunt me for the rest of my days. I am a huge King fan. I'm used to being creeped out by his never-ending darkness, but whew this one takes the prize for creepiest. It's a sleeper scary story. It seems normal and comes in for a knock out at the end. ( )
  staceyfronczak | Mar 12, 2017 |
I am a recent King convert. Better late to the party than never arriving at all. So it happened that I bought this book twice, once in hardback and once in soft. Since there were enough books to go around the house, I dug in.

Set in Maine and Colorado, our main character is Jaimie Morton. We meet him as a six year old when his family is responsible for helping to hire the new Methodist preacher for their small church in rural Maine.

Charles Daniel Jacobs arrives with his young family and is a hit with the church. A terrible event occurs which forces the congregation to dismiss the preacher. But he and Jaimie will meet several times throughout the course of the book because as Jaimie says, Jacobs is his fifth business.

Jaimie is a session musician with issues so music plays an important role in the story. Electricity also plays an important role. And although the book is called Revival, religion is not as important although it raises its head in very interesting ways.

This might be called Frankenstein: A Modern Prometheus Part II. That is all I am going to say about that. As has been the case with the other King novels I have read so far, the dialogue is excellent, the characters well defined and the story keeps you reading to the end.

I was mildly dissatisfied with the ending but only the last few pages. It was a really great read as evidenced by the fact that I was anxious to return to it as soon as possible whenever I had to put it down. I will be back for more King and am almost ready to take on what many consider his magnum opus, The Stand. Looking forward to it. ( )
  ozzie65 | Dec 21, 2016 |
Cthulhu is back: "Revival" by Stephen King

King’s 66th book (published 11/11/2014).

“That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.” (H.P. Lovecraft)

I’ve never been a Stephen King die-hard fan. There were a few of his novels that I elevated to Nirvana status (eg, “The Stand” being one of them).

When I think about King I always have two things in my mind:

He once said, I don’t remember where, and I now I’ll paraphrase, that Stephanie Meyer couldn’t write anything worth a damn. For me that was the start to see Mr. King in a new light…;

When King won the National Book Foundation, I remember Harold Bloom saying that (I’ll paraphrase again), Mr. King was destroying Literature (with a capital “L”).

The rest of this review can be found on my blog. ( )
  antao | Dec 10, 2016 |
3.5 stars ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
The last part of the book moves from the raw emotion about family, love, aging and lost opportunity — all of it written with unusual candor, even for Mr. King — to the horror legacy of those names to whom the book is dedicated.
added by ozzer | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Nov 13, 2014)

...veteran yarn spinner King continues to point out the unspeakably spooky weirdness that lies on the fringes of ordinary life.
added by sturlington | editKirkus Reivews (Oct 2, 2014)

Was inspired by

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons, even death may die.

—H. P. Lovecraft
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons, even death my die.

- H. P. Lovecraft

August Derleth
Shirley Jackson
Robert Bloch
Peter Straub

And ARTHUR MACHEN, whose short novel The Great God Pan has haunted me all my life.
This book is for some of the people who built my house:

August Derleth
Shirley Jackson
Robert Bloch
Peter Straub

In one way, at least, our lives really are like movies.
When I think of Charles Jacobs--my fifth business, my change agent, my nemesis--I can't bear to believe his presence in my life had anything to do with fate. It would mean that all these terrible things--these horrors--were meant to happen. If that is so, then there is no such thing as light, and our belief in it is a foolish illusion. If that is so, we live in darkness like animals in a burrow, or ants deep in their hill.

And not alone.
Astrid and I spent most of the breaks kissing, and I began to taste cigarettes on her breath. I didn't mind. When she saw that (girls have ways of knowing), she started to smoke around me, and a couple of times she'd blow a little into my mouth while we were kissing. It gave me a hard-on I could have broken concrete with.

In a small New England town, over half a century ago, a shadow falls over a small boy playing with his toy soldiers. Jamie Morton looks up to see a striking man, the new minister. Charles Jacobs, along with his beautiful wife, will transform the local church. The men and boys are all a bit in love with Mrs. Jacobs; the women and girls feel the same about Reverend Jacobs—including Jamie’s mother and beloved sister, Claire. With Jamie, the Reverend shares a deeper bond based on a secret obsession. When tragedy strikes the Jacobs family, this charismatic preacher curses God, mocks all religious belief, and is banished from the shocked town.

Jamie has demons of his own. Wed to his guitar from the age of thirteen, he plays in bands across the country, living the nomadic lifestyle of bar-band rock and roll while fleeing from his family’s horrific loss. In his mid-thirties—addicted to heroin, stranded, desperate—Jamie meets Charles Jacobs again, with profound consequences for both men. Their bond becomes a pact beyond even the Devil’s devising, and Jamie discovers that revival has many meanings.

"In a small New England town over half a century ago, a boy is playing with his new toy soldiers in the dirt in front of his house when a shadow falls over him. He looks up to see a striking man, the new minister, Jamie learns later, who with his beautiful wife, will transform the church and the town. The men and boys are a bit in love with Mrs. Jacobs; the women and girls, with the Reverend Jacobs--including Jamie's sisters and mother. Then tragedy strikes, and this charismatic preacher curses God, and is banished from the shocked town. Jamie has demons of his own. Wed to his guitar from age 13, he plays in bands across the country, running from his own family tragedies, losing one job after another when his addictions get the better of him. Decades later, sober and living a decent life, he and Reverend Charles Jacobs meet again in a pact beyond even the Devil's devising, and the many terrifying meanings of Revival are revealed. King imbues this spectacularly rich and dark novel with everything he knows about music, addiction, and religious fanaticism, and every nightmare we ever had about death. This is a masterpiece from King, in the great American tradition of Frank Norris, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Edgar Allan Poe"--… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,889,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible