Cycle of Lies: The Fall of Lance Armstrong…

Cycle of Lies: The Fall of Lance Armstrong

by Juliet Macur

4.5 stars- This book is meticulously researched and expertly written. I was familiar with Armstrong's story before I read this book, but there were still instances in this book that made be gasp out loud and I definitely shook my head in disbelief more than a few times at the brazen nature of Armstrong's hubris. There is a line on page 402 that reads, " He isn't sorry for lying." That pretty much sums it up. Armstrong is a bully, liar, cheat and one of the few characters I have come in contact with who had zero redeemable qualities. I looked up the definition for sociopath this is what I found: "a person with a psychopathic personality whose behavior is antisocial, often criminal, and who lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience" - the only thing that surprised me was that Lance Armstrong's picture was not posted next to the definition. Another great read about this subject is [b:The Secret Race: Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France: Doping, Cover-ups, and Winning at All Costs|15823426|The Secret Race Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France Doping, Cover-ups, and Winning at All Costs|Tyler Hamilton|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1344963275s/15823426.jpg|21553734] by [a:Tyler Hamilton|6895821|Tyler Hamilton|https://www.goodreads.com/assets/nophoto/user/m_50x66-e89fc14c32a41c0eb4298dfafe929b65.png]. Highly recommend both that book and this book if you are at all interested in the details of the worst sports cheating scandal of all time. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
Man - Lance is a real dick! Just seems like a horrible person. Author told some good stories about Lance and all the crap he pulled. I actually was hoping for MORE info - like what happened to all his teammates. Well done though. ( )
  bermandog | Jan 20, 2016 |
Disgusts me that I spent hours and hours of July after July watching the Tour de France and believing in Lance Armstrong. ( )
  wareagle78 | Dec 6, 2014 |
Great fast reading book. I hope the author wasn't playing fast and loose with the facts. Many insights here. Lance and his mother drifted apart, apparently. He would not give her money when she needed it nor use her as his real estate agent thus giving her some income. My favorite character is Dave Zabrieske. His father was heavily involved in drugs and he did not want to dope, but did to stay on Postal team. ( )
  velopunk | Aug 5, 2014 |
Interesting to read what people were thinking and doing while the public information was out there. No real new information, but confirmation of all the rumours that have been a part of cycling and specifically Lance Armstrong and the Tour forever. ( )
  RBarfuss | Jun 21, 2014 |

Cycle of Lies by New York Times reporter Juliet Macur is the definitive account of the rise and fall of the most famous athlete of our generation, Lance Armstrong, through unprecedented access to the key players in his life, and the investigation into the allegations of systemic doping. Relying on previously unpublished documents, Cycle of Lies reveals how Armstrong managed to perpetuate his myth for so long, the fortress he built to protect his image and upend anyone who got in his way, and why he fell so quickly.

Spanning 14 critical years in Armstrong's cycling career, Cycle of Lies: The Fall of Lance Armstrong covers his comeback from cancer, to the business deals that would make him a millionaire many times over, until the moment he stepped down as the chairman of his Livestrong charity. The story features key characters such as disgraced Tour de France champion Floyd Landis; Armstrong teammate George Hincapie; and Kristin Richard, Armstrong's first wife and possible doping accomplice.

The history of one of the most precipitous and unceremonious falls in the history of sports, Cycle of Lies delves into exactly who was complicit in keeping Lance Armstrong’s doping a secret from his legion of fans.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:05 -0400)

Draws on interviews with more than one hundred people close to the famous athlete to chronicle fourteen critical years in his career, from his cancer recovery to his precipitous fall after revelations about his systemic doping became public.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,938,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible