The Black Tower by P. D. James

The Black Tower (1975)

by P. D. James

Series: Adam Dalgliesh (5)

Will anyone but Dalgliesh figure out that there is a murderer about in this commune/hospital and will he himself get out alive?

http://nicolewbrown.blogspot.com/2016/11/the-black-tower-by-pd-james.html ( )
  nicolewbrown | Nov 16, 2016 |
I tried but I couldn't get into this book. I kept plugging along with it (I hate hot reading a book all the way through) and have to admit I skipped many chapters but it just did not keep me interested. When I got to the ending..... Yeah..... Still couldn't get into it... ( )
  jvizza | Jan 18, 2016 |
A conventional but well written who-dunnit.
Read Samoa Dec 2003 ( )
  mbmackay | Nov 28, 2015 |
I got a little tired of the anthropomorphic objects. The interior musing of Adam Dalgliesh I didn't mind so much, but when the narration got a little too florid it took me out of the story. E.g: 'yellow dandelions, pinpoints of brightness on the faded autumnal grass' which concludes a lengthy intro of a landscape at the beginning of a chapter.
Some nice passage, p. 18 and p. 271 favorites, and a well done way of having the detective discover the truth before the reader, even though it's form his perspective. Did not guess this one! ( )
1 vote MargaretPinardAuthor | May 23, 2015 |
Definitely not one of the better Dalgliesh mysteries. There's too much navel gazing on Adam Dagliesh's part, after leaving the hospital recovering from what he thought was death's door. I suppose nearly dying does that to someone. He spends the entire book trying to stay out of the company at the nursing home he has gone to in answer to an old friend (now dead).

Yet, Dagliesh cannot stop employing his "little grey cells" (as Poirot would call them), and makes a leap which neatly solves the mystery of serial killings and an unlikely motive. I still don't understand how the leap from young homosexual boy being sent away to heroin smuggling in wheelchairs was made. Nor do I understand how we are expected to believe that the small amount of heroin smuggled would lead to enough money for a somewhat lavish lifestyle on Toyton Grange.

Buck up Dagliesh, better times are ahead. ( )
3 vote AuntieClio | May 2, 2015 |
Adam Dalgliesh på uhyggelig pleiehjem
Dalgliesh i krise i en utsøkt kriminalintrige. «Det svarte tårnet» er en over tretti år gammel kriminalroman av den britiske sjangermesteren, og som vanlig overrasket hun leseren med et uvanlig plott. P.D. James bruker over halvparten av boka før Dalgliesh, eller vi for den saks skyld, egentlig vet om det har skjedd noe straffbart

P. D. Jamesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Solinas, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was to be the consultant physician's last visit and Dalgliesh suspected that neither of them regretted it, arrogance and patronage on the one side and weakness, gratitude and dependence on the other being no foundation for a satisfactory adult relationship however transitory.
The next morning was airless and sultry, inducing headache, the sky a tent of stained calico ponderous with unspilt rain.

The first victim is a priest without an enemy; the second a monster of a man who spreads hate wherever he goes. The third victim is a sweet spinster who is the soul of loving kindness; the next, a seductive temptress who is the embodiment of sensual lust.

And Adam Dalgliesh knows that unless he can find the hidden pattern in this seemingly senseless series of slayings, the nightmare of death will go on and on...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743219619, Paperback)

Just recovered from a grave illness, Commander Adam Dalgliesh is called to the bedside of an elderly priest. When Dalgliesh arrives, Father Baddeley is dead. Is it merely his own brush with mortality that causes Dalgliesh to sense the shadow of death about to fall once more?

"Splendid, macabre," wrote the London Sunday Telegraph. "The Black Tower is a masterpiece," the London Sunday Times concurred.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:15 -0400)

Responding to an old friend's call, Commander Adam Dalgliesh travels to Toynton Grange, a convalescence home in Dorset, where he finds his friend dead and, himself weakened by a recent illness, encounters multiple murder and malicious intrigue.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,038,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible