Phoning Home: Essays by Jacob M. Appel

Phoning Home: Essays

by Jacob M. Appel

I never thought that a collection of essays could be so interesting. Well, I suppose there is a first time for everything. I honestly enjoyed each and every essay, but I especially loved the ones where the author talks about his family and his childhood.

The author is such an amazing person, a complex character with so many interests and occupations. His knowledge is extensive, allowing him to reach a wide audience. I was pleasantly surprised when I read about his reference to Atticus Finch and Gregory Peck because I had just read To Kill a Mockingbird and watched its movie. It created an instant connection and I was hooked. A psychologist, physician, and bioethicist who knows Atticus Finch is a person worth getting to know.

I like how the author explores deep subjects in interesting ways by including anecdotes, expounding on his unpopular thoughts, and weaving in humour. His writing style is beautiful and poignant. The best part is that he encourages his readers to engage with his writings, ask questions, and give some thought to the topics he addresses. I look forward to reading his other works. ( )
  EllenHamilton | Apr 1, 2019 |
This is another great book by a talented author. This is another book of short stories. This book maybe offers a glimpse into the mind of the talented author. The author has such an impressive background, that the stories stayed true to form in being thought provoking and entertaining. It allowed you to see the world from another point of view. Thank you for another great book. ( )
  pegramprincess | Mar 5, 2019 |
I recieved a PDF version of this book as part of a giveaway. This is an honest review.

A very thought provoking and interesting read covering the history and perspective of a bioethesist. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone in the medical field. ( )
  cryczak232 | Jan 4, 2019 |
Phoning Home is a series of essays. From the title I expected the essays to center around Appel's home and family life, and while the early essays did focus on his childhood and family (particularly his grandparents), the later essays had a broad scope. In some, Appel wrote about his experiences as a resident/doctor or about particular patients, but others focused on ethics, particularly pertaining to his philosophies surrounding health/medicine. I wish Appel had separated these essays into two separate books - preferably published separately but at least organized as two distinct sections within the book as the tone and topic of the later essays is quite a departure from the earlier essays. Furthermore, the essays didn't appear to be edited to be published together as Appel often repeats information from essay to essay, and his frequent use of footnotes is distracting and could also have been helped in the editing process. I enjoyed most of the early autobiographical essays but the later ones were a mixed bag, in part because I have worked in health care and while I respect Appel's right to his opinions, some were offensive. For example, he states that he has done a lot to champion the rights of disabled people, but goes on to state that if he found himself in a wheelchair or needing a limb amputated that he would immediately find a gun and kill himself - I don't think disabled people need supporters who find their situations so abhorrent. All in all, an eclectic and uneven collection of essays that won't suit every reader. ( )
  porcupines | Nov 26, 2018 |
The author gives us some delightful insight into his own life from childhood to the realization of his own mortality. The childhood stories reminded me of my own misdeeds as a youngster. I will never look at green jello the same ever again!

I was especially intrigued by the discussions of moral/ethical issues which really made me think about my beliefs and why I feel the way I do. Is it just because it's what I've been told, or can I rationally defend my position.

The medical stories bring such a peek into a doctor's relationships with his patients and how sometimes the choice regarding the patient's care is not very clear cut.

Overall, I thought his was an amazing collection of short stories and well worth the read.

I won this book from LT Member Giveaway in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  hazeleyeflgal | Oct 29, 2018 |
During the summer following my seventh birthday, my parents began receiving prank telephone calls from an anonymous source.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 161117371X, Hardcover)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:01 -0400)

Phoning Home is a collection of entertaining and thought-provoking essays featuring the author's quirky family, his Jewish heritage, and his New York City upbringing. Jacob M. Appel's recollections and insights, informed and filtered by his advanced degrees in medicine, law, and ethics, not only inspire nostalgic feelings but also offer insight into contemporary medical and ethical issues. At times sardonic and at others self-deprecating, Appel lays bare the most private aspects of his emotional life. "We'd just visited my grandaunt in Miami Beach, the last time we would ever see her. I had my two travel companions, Fat and Thin, securely buckled into the backseat of my mother's foul-tempered Dodge Dart," writes Appel of his family vacation with his two favorite rubber cat toys. Shortly thereafter Fat and Thin were lost forever--beginning, when Appel was just six years old, what he calls his "private apocalypse." Both erudite and full-hearted, Appel recounts storylines ranging from a bout of unrequited love gone awry to the poignant romance of his grandparents. We learn of the crank phone calls he made to his own family, the conspicuous absence of Jell-O at his grandaunt's house, and family secrets long believed buried. The stories capture the author's distinctive voice--a blend of a physician's compassion and an ethicist's constant questioning.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Jacob M. Appel's book Phoning Home: Essays is currently available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Jacob M. Appel is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,138,543 books! | Top bar: Always visible