Dr. Mutter's Marvels: A True Tale of…

Dr. Mutter's Marvels: A True Tale of Intrigue and Innovation at the…

by Cristin O'Keefe Aptowicz

Memoirs of Military Surgery, and Campaigns of the French Armies, On the Rhine, In Corsica, Catalonia, Egypt, and Sy by Dominique-Jean Larrey (Artymedon)
    Artymedon: Written in 1812 by a French Surgeon the memoirs of Dominique Jean Larrey cover the early part of the XIXth century while Dr. Mutter covers surgery in the United States around the middle of the XIXth Century. Dr. Mutter founded one of the first Colleges of Medicine in the USA after finding inspiration through a visit to French hospitals and surgeons.… (more)

One of those books that almost seems to be more tangent than narrative - and I was really surprised at how little the author focuses on the medical oddities collected by Mütter and more on a somewhat conventional biography (which is perfectly interesting, to be sure). ( )
1 vote JBD1 | Aug 7, 2018 |
I mostly enjoyed this. I like reading about medical history (you know, heavier on the history, lighter on the technical details), and I'd never heard of Dr. Mutter, so it seemed like a good match. The author spends a significant amount of time writing about Mutter's "rivalry" with one of his colleagues, Dr. Meigs, in which the two men differed greatly in their approaches to the teaching and practice of medicine (Dr. Mutter believed in washing his hands, Dr. Meigs most emphatically did NOT-which was awesome as his specialty was obstetrics). The detail surrounding this "rivalry" seemed a little over the top. The author writes more about Meigs' personality and personal life than any specifics regarding tension between the two men. I don't know, it just felt like she was digging for information to keep the story more interesting. Honestly, I thought it was interesting enough without the distractions. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
It was so interesting. Cristin Aptowicz visited Dr. Mutter's museum in Philadelphia and was inspired to write about his fascinating life. He was a pioneer of plastic surgery in the early 1800s, back when people were born malformed or damaged due to injury and lived miserable lives, wishing for death. Dr. Mutter pioneered techniques that are still being used today and was an excellent professor, according to his students. Unfortunately, he died fairly young, but he left behind an extensive collection of medical artifacts. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this one, since medical books have never really been my thing, but it was really good. ( )
  bekkil1977 | Feb 9, 2018 |
I knew nothing of Mütter aside from his famous museum, which is only an hour and change from where I live, but somehow have never visited. I always assumed just a collector of curiosities, but turns out he was a very skilled surgeon dedicated to improving the lives of so called "monster." This book is part Philadelphia history book, part medical history and all interesting biography. A really wonderful read! ( )
  Bricker | Aug 19, 2017 |
I loved this biography of Dr. Mutter and his medical discoveries, mainly in the surgical aspect of medicine. Prior to this, I had only known of the museum that the College of Physicians of Philadelphia opened when bequeathed Mutter's specimens prior to his death. He was actually a very compassionate doctor, championing the use of anesthetics when others in his college were against them and actively campaigned against them. He did facial reconstruction in those who would be forgotten or maligned without the surgery, doing his best to lower the risk and make the surgery easier to endure. Unfortunately, he died young and left much of what he considered his life's work unfulfilled. ( )
  Diana_Long_Thomas | Jul 16, 2017 |

Cristin O'Keefe Aptowiczprimary authorall editionscalculated
Singer, ErikNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thomas Dent Mutter is dead and the world will forget him.
ISBN 0553545159 is unabridged audiobook

A mesmerizing biography of the brilliant and eccentric medical innovator who revolutionized American surgery and founded the country's most famous museum of medical oddities. Imagine undergoing an operation without anesthesia performed by a surgeon who refuses to sterilize his tools-or even wash his hands. This was the world of medicine when Thomas Dent Mütter began his trailblazing career as a plastic surgeon in Philadelphia during the middle of the nineteenth century. Although he died at just forty-eight, Mütter was an audacious medical innovator who pioneered the use of ether as anesthesia, the sterilization of surgical tools, and a compassion-based vision for helping the severely deformed, which clashed spectacularly with the sentiments of his time. Brilliant, outspoken, and brazenly handsome, Mütter was flamboyant in every aspect of his life. He wore pink silk suits to perform surgery, added an umlaut to his last name just because he could, and amassed an immense collection of medical oddities that would later form the basis of Philadelphia's Mütter Museum. Award-winning writer Cristin O'Keefe Aptowicz vividly chronicles how Mütter's efforts helped establish Philadelphia as a global mecca for medical innovation-despite intense resistance from his numerous rivals. (Foremost among them : Charles D. Meigs, an influential obstetrician who loathed Mütter's "overly" modern medical opinions.) In the narrative spirit of The Devil in the White City, Dr. Mütter's Marvels interweaves an eye-opening portrait of nineteenth-century medicine with the riveting biography of a man once described as the "P.T. Barnum of the surgery room."--Provided by publisher.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Cristin O'Keefe Aptowicz's book Dr. Mütter's Marvels was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,964,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible