Percy Jackson's Greek Heroes by Rick…

Percy Jackson's Greek Heroes (2015)

by Rick Riordan

Read this review and more on my blog October Tune!

Actual rating: 4,5*. Just like with Percy Jackson's Greek Gods, this book tells the story of the most well known Greek Heroes as if it was written down by Rick Riordan's most famous character himself. As I enjoyed the previous companion novel so much, I decided I was definitely going to pick up this book as well. So I pre-ordered the paperback that matched my other Riordan books and immediately started it upon receiving it.

In this book you'll read about the most well known Greek Heroes such as Otrera, Atalanta, Bellerophon and Cyrene. And also about a couple of lesser known Heroes such as Perseus, Hercules and Jason, you know - I don't blame you if you don't know these three! ;) (To be honest, those three were the only ones whose names sounder familiar to me, though the stories of the other were familiar too, just not their names).

This book is written as if it were actually written by Percy Jackson (wait, what am I saying, it is written by Percy because he's totally real, right?) and honestly this is what made me enjoy this book and the Greek Gods one so much. Because I already know most of these stories very well (okay a lot of the heroes described in this book were completely new to me, though some of their stories sounded familiar shh), but the way Rick/Percy wrote them were just hilarious, with all kinds of references to modern things such as phones, iTunes and stuff. My favourite part was when Hercules was about to fight the Hydra, I had been anticipating a Captain America or at least a Marvel reference for that - and lo and behold, it was there!

'It is a Hydra.' 'A what now?' Hercules thought he might have heard that name in a Captain America movie.
I honestly would have loved this book even more if I had gone for the illustrated editions, but they were rather large and more expensive, so I had to go for the mortal editions without pictures, oh well, maybe in the future! This book was entertaining enough without the pictures, though, so I didn't really miss out that much.

Like with the previous book, this is a good way of reading more about the Greek mythologies without having to read all those boring old books that will take you a thousand lifetimes to read. So if you're looking for a way to read about Greek mythology in a fun and easy way, definitely pick up both Percy Jackson's Greek Gods ánd this book, Percy Jackson's Greek Heroes!

My opinion on this book in one gif:

october.tune | Nov 15, 2017 |
Leave it to Rick Riordan to even manage to inject the trademark Percy Jackson humor into a guidebook about the Greek heroes. The major figures are pretty much all here, though you have almost certainly never heard their stories told in quite this way. A very fun read. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Nov 14, 2017 |
If you're interested in the story behind famous Greek heroes and you like Percy Jackson's type of narration, you will really like this story. If not, this book will probably be boring to you. I'm interested in the stories, and Percy's brand of humor is cute to me. I really enjoyed it. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
This book is about Greek mythology. There is a strange part of the book, Percy Jackson has actually told the myths with only a few changes. There are some things that he mentioned that are inventions of now a days, such as video games! Percy did a good job, and the changes make it funny. There are 12 sections, and every myth about a person that is in the book is in the section of that person is in. There are 12 sections, or chapters, and they are in order about; Perseus, Psyche, Phaethon, Otrera, Daedalus, Theseus, Atalanta, Bellerophon, Cyrene, Orpheus, Hercules (Heracles in Greek), and Jason. Hercules actually was supposed to have 10 tasks, not 12, Otrera was the creator of the Amazons, and Jason's crew consisted of Hercules, Orpheus, and Atlanta, but there was many others such as the Boreads, sons of the north wind, Boreas.

I gave this book 5 stars because I love Greek mythology, and the modern day twists was hilarious! My favorite parts is when when he forgets to be focused and talk about himself or a part of his life or gives comments based on the part of the myth the comment is in. Another things I like is when he adds in things that have to do with modern day times, such as video games, or WiFi! There is a good thing he added to, he adds the back story and what important events that lend to them becoming them, such as the story that lead to his (or her's) birth. The book is also good for this reason, he tried to put them in order, meaning order of age, but he might he might of had trouble with some. Then there is another fun part, he added a prologue and epilogue, the prologue is why he did it, the epilogue is says he is late for the Argo II reunion. ( )
  NoahJ.BG3 | Oct 8, 2016 |
For Becky, who has always been my hero
--R.R.
Introduction: Look, I'm only in this for the pizza.

"Who cut off Medusa's head? Who was raised by a she-bear? Who tamed Pegasus? It takes a demigod to know, and Percy Jackson can fill you in on the all the daring deeds of Perseus, Atalanta, Bellerophon, and the rest of the major Greek heroes. Told in the funny, irreverent style readers have come to expect from Percy --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,423,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible