Shadowshaper by Daniel José Older
    Mermaid in Chelsea Creek by Michelle Tea (iluvvideo)
    iluvvideo: Gritty, urban and magical...

Another YA fantasy book with female lead. Creative. ( )
  asawyer | May 7, 2018 |
Unbelievably disappointing. Amazing concept with flat characters and a poorly thought out plot. It read like a first draft, so maybe my issue is with the editor more than the writing? ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
I was pleasantly surprised by this book! When reading the synopsis, I wasn't sold on the concept behind Shadowshaping and how it all worked. However, WOW WOW WOW! What amazing cultural folklore - I WISH THIS STUFF WERE TRUE! The connections with culture, loving yourself, and knowing who you are is vital, and Sierra embraces it all so strongly.

Highly recommend! ( )
  KWadyko | Mar 5, 2018 |

Highly recommend! ( )
  KWadyko | Mar 1, 2018 |
Oh, Shadowshaper, what a let down.

You had such a good premise -- a young girl discovering her magical abilities handed down through the generations, saving her family, and being pretty kick-ass throughout.

Your mythology was new (to me anyway). Your urban setting was appreciated. Sierra, your MC (main character) was a WOC (woman of color), and that was so refreshing. Nothing was cliched, and the dialogue felt authentic and youthful. The writing was decent in the way that all trad-published writing is decent.

But.

But your pacing was scatter-brained.

I felt like I was watching a runner who had been on the bench for six months and finally started running again, but this runner has forgotten that they need to ease into the laps. Their body has become weakened and can no longer sustain its once-fast pace, but they ignore that and run in fits and starts and then say f*** it and stop only to charge on again in about twenty seconds. Whew! Sorry for the drawn-out metaphor.

But.

But your story felt incomplete.

Oh, the ends were tied-off, but I'm left with this feeling of it's not over yet. I almost wanted to shake the book to see if some hidden pages would fall out. And this isn't a series. It feels like the setup for a series. You know, those series where the first book is just all right because it's doing the setting-the-scene work, and the real nitty gritty good stuff only comes around in book two or four. Except this is it.

Disappointed. ( )
  Raeleigh | Feb 23, 2018 |

When the murals painted on the walls of her Brooklyn neighborhood start to change and fade in front of her, Sierra Santiago realizes that something strange is going on--then she discovers her Puerto Rican family are shadowshapers and finds herself in a battle with an evil anthropologist for the lives of her family and friends.… (more)

Daniel José Older is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,538,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible