Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Letters to the Lost by Iona Grey

Letters to the Lost

by Iona Grey

2292074,319 (4.14)7

English (19)  German (1)  All languages (20)
An amazing read- I didn't want the book to ever end! This is one of those books I would keep on my bookshelf forever. I wish I could give it ten stars! ( )
  Chelz286 | Aug 26, 2018 |
Forever is finally running out for Dan Rosinski. Now in his 90s, he has been given mere weeks to live. He has only one regret: he was never able to find the woman he fell in love with during World War II. Oh yes, he’s tried hard over the years to find Stella, but she seems to have vanished.

In a parallel story, it’s 2011. Jess Moran is running from her abusive, drug-user/seller boyfriend. She’s escaped and is running through London’s cold rain. She stumbles into a cul-de-sac that seems to have been mostly forgotten. One house in particular looks abandoned. She breaks in through the back.

The story jumps back to 1942 when Dan meets Stella Thorne, a unhappily married woman seeking refuge from the rain in a bombed church.

Inside the abandoned home, Jess finds Dan’s latest letter, trying to locate Stella. With nothing to do since she’s all alone and on the lam, Jess tries to find Dan and Stella. The she discovers a trove of letters from Dan during what was left of the war. What the reader gets is two love stories. The one between Jess and the real-estate agent, Will, who eventually discovers her living there. Then there’s the one between Dan and Stella.

Well written, although predictable, the story is a good one. I felt that Jess needed to be more complex that she was portrayed. While I enjoyed the story, I never that urge to hurry home to find out what was happening. I give Letters to the Lost 3 out of 5 stars. ( )
  juliecracchiolo | Feb 16, 2018 |
I anticipate that this novel will become a timeless classic. It's a heart-absorbing story that has truly touched my heart and soul. This is a novel that I could read again in the years to come and it is extremely rare for me to feel that way as there are so many novels that are on my bookshelves waiting for my reading time and even more titles on my 'wish list' for some day. ( )
  Corduroy7 | Nov 16, 2017 |
Somewhat predictable, but delicious none-the-less. Iona Grey is a marvelous storyteller. ( )
  mfabriz | Jun 26, 2017 |
A story of lovers torn apart after WWII, of the woman who finds their letters, and the the series of events that the discovery sparks. And so much more... ( )
  PlanCultivateCreate | May 15, 2017 |

1943, in the ruins of Blitzed London…
Stella Thorne and Dan Rosinski meet by chance and fall in love by accident. Theirs is a reluctant, unstoppable affair in which all the odds are stacked against them: she is newly married, and he is an American bomber pilot whose chance of survival is just one in five.

… He promised to love her forever
Seventy years later Dan makes one final attempt to find the girl he has never forgotten, and sends a letter to the house where they shared a brief yet perfect happiness. But Stella has gone, and the letter is opened by Jess, a young girl hiding from problems of her own. And as Jess reads Dan's words, she is captivated by the story of a love affair that burned so bright and dimmed too soon. Can she help Dan find Stella before it is too late?

Now forever is finally running out.

Late on a frozen February evening, a young woman is running through the streets of London. Having fled from her abusive boyfriend and with nowhere to go, Jess stumbles onto a forgotten lane where a small, clearly unlived in old house offers her best chance of shelter for the night. The next morning, a mysterious letter arrives and when she can't help but open it, she finds herself drawn inexorably into the story of two lovers from another time. Fate is unkind and they are separated by decades and continents. In the present, Jess becomes determined to find out what happened to them. Her hope--inspired by a love so powerful it spans a lifetime--will lead her to find a startling redemption in her own life.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,453,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible