Untamed: The Wild Life of Jane Goodall by…

Untamed: The Wild Life of Jane Goodall

by Anita Silvey

Very Informational book about Jane Goodall's life and adventures. I love how this book talks about how bold and adventurous Jane Goodall, she was much braver than we give her credit for. The best part about this book however, is the photographs of Jane. There are many of her while she was still a child. It is very interesting to see Jane as Jane, and not Jane Goodall. Her personality really comes through in these black and whites. Young animal lovers will love reading about this adventuresome woman. ( )
  hannahmariebell | Apr 11, 2017 |
Excellent biography of Jane Goodall, covering her childhood through age 80. Has tons of color photographs, and is nicely designed with one and two page spreads on individual plants and animals of the Gombe--text is laid over a color screened image of a plant, different ones on different pages, giving a more well-rounded look at the habitat of the chimpanzees Jane studied. Photos are full-page "bleeds" in a visually exciting design. All the photos also have informative captions that give additional information not found in the text; I love books that do that, it feels like a reward for reading the captions! Excellent bibliography and sources. Winner of the 2016 Norman A. Sugarman Children's Biography Award from the Cleveland Public Library. ( )
  GoldieBug | Dec 31, 2016 |
A marvelous books for adults as well as children (I'd say directed to the 10-12 year old range but I'm not a children's librarian). Definitely will purchase in future when I inevitably have little ones of my own. ( )
  Kristin_Curdie_Cook | Apr 29, 2016 |
A wonderfully photographed look back at Jane Goodall's work and legacy. ( )
  dcoward | Aug 10, 2015 |
I've determined to finally tackle the biography section of my juvenile fiction next year, which means, of course, that I've been thinking about it on and off all this year. Biographies are hard. There are so many picture book biographies being released and yet they very rarely circulate. Middle grade readers do ask for biographies, but it's so difficult to strike a line between the same old dead white males who have been done a million times and names so obscure no one will ever look at them.

So I was quite pleased when I saw that National Geographic was releasing a new biography of Jane Goodall. Goodall is well-known, but not so much so that another biography is superfluous. She's a woman in the sciences, with a powerful legacy that adds diversity to the field.

The biography itself is well-written in a way that will attract the reader's attention without sensationalizing or sentimentalizing the subject. The book begins with her childhood, the all-important research in Gombe that changed her life and the way chimpanzees were researched, and her transition into a public figure and fight for conservation. The final chapter talks about the way Goodall's research and continued advocacy has changed not only the way animals are researched and studied, but also treatment of animals in labs. It discusses modern methods and technology, several of the groups she started or sponsored, and some of the people she has influenced, both young and old.

Extensive back matter includes information about chimpanzees, photographs and specifics about some of the chimps of Gombe, a time line of Jane Goodall's life, maps, organized resources to read more about Jane and her work, detailed notes and index, and an author's note. The book is laid out in a large chapter book format with plenty of photographs, quotations, and additional facts and interesting highlights of Jane Goodall's life and contemporaries. National Geographic is really good about putting their nonfiction into attractive formats and this is no exception.

From an adult perspective, it was interesting to read this after having read Primates, which gives a more nuanced view of Goodall, Fossey, and Galdikas. This biography focused more on inspiring and informing the reader than discussing the more controversial aspects of Goodall's life and while I'm usually a little leary about biographies that gloss over issues, I thought this handled her life very well in a way that's accessible and appropriate for middle grade readers.

Verdict: Even if you're not currently updating your biography collection, this is a must-have for any juvenile biography section. Thoughtful, informative, and will interest a wide range of children as well as teens and adults. Highly recommended.

ISBN: 9781426315183; Published 2015 by National Geographic; Review copy provided by the publisher; Donated to the library; Purchased for the library
  JeanLittleLibrary | Jul 26, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 142631518X, Hardcover)

Jane Goodall, one of the most recognized scientists in the Western world, became internationally famous because of her ability to observe and connect with another species. A girl of humble beginnings and training, she made scientific breakthroughs thought impossible by more experienced field observers when she was only in her twenties. Then these animals shaped Jane's life. She began tirelessly fighting to protect the environment so that chimpanzees and other animals will continue have a place and a future on our planet. Jane Goodall continues to leave the modern world with an extraordinary legacy and has changed the scientific community forever.

From the Hardcover Library Binding edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 03 Jul 2015 15:08:17 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,929,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible