The Jefferson Bible: The Life and Morals of…

The Jefferson Bible: The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth

by Thomas Jefferson

Only mildly interesting and less "enlightened" than moralistic. Jefferson's selections of "truth" are alternately redundant or contradictory, and his English translation of some words ill-chosen (e.g., "straight" when the context calls for "narrow"). The God of his Deism and his definition of morality are straight from the patriarchal Old Testament of the Jewish faith, despite his concentration on only the gospels, which is consistent with the fact that Jesus was a Jew but not necessarily with his message.
  Bonnie_Bailey | Jan 26, 2018 |
President Kennedy said something during a dinner honoring Nobel laureates about it being the greatest gathering of intelligence in that room since Jefferson dined alone. Mr. Jefferson had a good idea here, cutting out everything he thought to be unnatural (the more common, if incorrect, term is "super"natural). I wonder if he believed anything of his end product, of if he just passed it on without applying critical thinking. He was not without flaws.

I've decided that part of my reading track for 2016 will be Books I Should Have Read Already. This is the first. Am I enriched? Not very. I've already read the source material (not primary source material...those don't exist) in multiple versions. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
Thank goodness the Smithsonian reproduced this valuable book. So proud to have one and will give several as gifts. I agree with Jefferson`s ideas about the important parts of the Bible. ( )
  kerrlm | Apr 1, 2017 |
With Cover ( )
  larainy | Feb 3, 2017 |
I picked this up because it was recommended to me as "Jesus without the magic," which it turns out is not quite what it is (nor quite what I was interested in). But like any "best of" list, the most entertaining part of this is arguing with the selections -- "divorce is adultery" is in (twice!) but not the loaves and the fishes? I get wanting to take out the miracles, but in the process Jefferson's managed to remove everything that made it sound like the guy had a sense of humor. I was prepared to be annoyed by duplication, but it turns out that putting in the same story told in different gospels gives a remarkable effect of veracity. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Dec 30, 2016 |
A lovely addition to thoroughgoing Americana collections.
added by Christa_Josh | editBooklist, Ray Olson (Oct 15, 2011)

Thomas Jeffersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Church, F. ForresterIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pelikan, JaroslavAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Tom's Jesus needs no
Superstitious nonsense nor
Careless damnation.
(paradoxosalpha)

We must reduce our volume to the simple evangelists, select, even from them, the very words only of Jesus. There will be remaining the most sublime and benevolent code of morals which has ever been offered to man.—Thomas Jefferson

Featuring an introduction by Forrest Church, this reissue of The Jefferson Bible offers extraordinary insight into the logic of Thomas Jefferson and the Gospel of Jesus. Working in the White House in 1804, Jefferson set out to edit the Gospels in order to uncover the essence of true religion in the simple story of the life of Jesus. Jefferson was convinced that the authentic message of Jesus could be found only by extracting from the Gospels Jesus's message of absolute love and service, rather than the miracle of the Annunciation, Virgin Birth, or even the Resurrection. Completed in 1819, this little book is the remarkable result of Jefferson's efforts.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:37 -0400)

Contains the chronicles of Jesus from the New Testament, selected and arranged from the original text by President Jefferson himself.

Legacy Library: Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Thomas Jefferson's legacy profile.

See Thomas Jefferson's author page.

Beacon Press

An edition of this book was published by Beacon Press.

Akashic Books

An edition of this book was published by Akashic Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,895,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible