Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You by…

Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You

by Peter Cameron

English (43)  Italian (5)  Catalan (3)  All languages (51)
The writing is very competent, but the story just never comes together. I get that this may be the author's intent, and if so then it works. As a reader, though, I expected more of a pay off for having to deal with a fairly abrasive character. The novel seems more to just stop than end. The high point, though, is that this is one of the few novels I've read that contains interaction between therapist and patient that rings true. ( )
  JWarren42 | Oct 10, 2013 |
È il primo libro di Cameron che leggo.
I personaggi sono ben calibrati e delineati, oscillando di continuo tra una comprensibile debolezza e una affascinante "spacconeria" e vis polemica. I dialoghi sono serrati e in molti casi esilaranti nel loro acume e intelligenza. Ecco, per riassumere direi che questo è un libro intelligente (avrebbe potuto essere molto più ruffiano data la trama), ben scritto, ben tradotto, e ben curato nell’edizione italiana. ( )
  Kazegafukuhi | Aug 10, 2013 |
I didn't believe for a second that an 18 year old, even a haughty rich white 18 year old New Yorker Stuyvesant grad, would sound like this narrator. The narrator sounds like a snarky GWM in his 50s, who ridicules such imaginative new targets as gallerists, therapists, professors, and businessmen. Risky! Okay, maybe this could sound like someone who just graduated from Stuyvesant. Read that Andre Aciman book instead, if you want to read about educated rich gay boys. ( )
  anderlawlor | Apr 9, 2013 |
This was a beautifully written book with a main character I found to be entirely annoying. The angst is simply overwhelming and more pointless than usual. James is well-off and whiny and wearying to my ear. I didn't much care if he ended up going to the Ivy League school of his parents choice or not. The narrator was a little flat, too. It failed to work for me. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
I read this book a while ago, so I don't remember enough to give a really detailed review. But the book really sucked me in. It wasn't a comfortable read by any means, James has too many issues for it to be that, but even so, when it ended I was really sad to leave him

ETA. There's a movie version in the works for 2011 starring Toby Regbo as James. Exciting! ( )
  shojo_a | Apr 4, 2013 |
Be patient and tough; someday this pain will be useful to you. -Ovid
When you long with all your heart for someone to love you, a madness grows there that shakes all sense from the trees and the water and the earth. And nothing lives for you, except the long deep bitter want. And this is what everyone feels from birth to death. -Denton Welch (journal, 8 May 1944, 11:15 pm)
For Justin Richardson and in memory of Marie Nash Shaw 1900-1993
The day my sister, Gillian, decided to pronounce her name with a hard G was, coincidentally, the same day my mother returned, early and alone, from her honeymoon.

It’s time for eighteen-year-old James Sveck to begin his freshman year at Brown. Instead, he’s surfing the real estate listings, searching for a sanctuary—a nice farmhouse in Kansas, perhaps. Although James lives in twenty-first-century Manhattan, he’s more at home in the faraway worlds of Eric Rohmer or Anthony Trollope—or his favorite writer, the obscure and tragic Denton Welch. James’s sense of dislocation is exacerbated by his willfully self-absorbed parents, a disdainful sister, his Teutonically cryptic shrink, and an increasingly vague, D-list celebrity grandmother. Compounding matters is James’s growing infatuation with a handsome male colleague at the art gallery his mother owns, where James supposedly works at his summer job but where he actually plots his escape to the prairie.

In the tradition of The Catcher in the Rye and The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Booklist has hailed Cameron as “one of the best writers about middle-class youth since Salinger”), Peter Cameron paints an indelible portrait of a teenage hero holding out for a better grownup world.

Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You is a 2008 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:36 -0400)

Eighteen-year-old James living in New York City with his older sister and divorced mother struggles to find a direction for his life.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,669,676 books! | Top bar: Always visible