The Dirty Cowboy by Adam Rex

The Dirty Cowboy

by Adam Rex

Other authors: Adam Rex (Illustrator)

Wonderful illustrations and hilariously told, the Dirty Cowboy is about a cowboy taking a bath. Sounds innocent enough except for the nearly nude drawings of the cowboy getting clean. The illustrator used creative ways, like mud or frogs, to hide the private bits of the cowboy but he's basically stark naked. I enjoyed the plot, especially the twist when the dog doesn't recognize his owner because his smell is different. ( )
  maturne2 | Sep 28, 2016 |
This book is a fun story about the life of a cowboy. I thought it was interesting that it has been banned in some places because it implies that a cowboy was taking a bath naked. I am not sure as to whether or not I would carry this book on my class library for that reason.
  chelseaandrews | May 6, 2016 |
In my opinion this is a good book it is lighthearted and fun to read. This story is about a cowboy who decides he needs a bath, but after he is clean, his dog doesn't recognize his small anymore. I particularly loved the writing of this book. The cowboy spoke with a very quaint southwestern accent and used many funny expressions that children reading this book would find entertaining. The illustrations were also beautifully done. A lot of browns and tans and other earth tones were primarily used, which reflected the lifestyle of living on a range and being a cowboy is the Southwest. ( )
  rlove2 | Oct 13, 2015 |
This book is not my favorite book I have read throughout my years of read children’s books. This book was just a little weird, a bit disgusting, and seems to have no purpose or meaning to it except to be strange. One of the themes that they express in the story is how a simple decision could have ramifications, like when he loses his clothes, gets attacked, and has to travel all day just because he decides to shower. The other thing you can notice if you look past the initial grossness of the book is the level of detail and description. For example “where was the sweaty, wild boar-like smell that clung to the cowboy like a second pair of clothes?” ( )
  drhode3 | Apr 4, 2014 |
I really liked this mostly because it was so well illustrated. I loved the expressiveness of the characters and the story was silly fun like the old Steven Kellogg tall tales. I really liked this all the way through. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |

Adam Rexprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rex, AdamIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

This ol’ boy needs a bath!

After he finds a tumbleweed in his chaps and the numerous bugs buzzing around him affect his hearing, the cowboy decides it’s time to head to the river. Once there, he peels off all his clothes and tells his trusty old dog to guard them against strangers. He takes a refreshing bath and emerges clean as corn – but so fresh-smelling that his dog doesn’t recognize him! Negotiations over the return of the clothes prove fruitless. A wrestling match ensues in a tale that grows taller by the sentence, climaxing in a fabric-speckled dust devil.

Amy Timberlake has inserted a Western twang into this tale of filth and friendship, and Adam Rex has found many creative means of bodily concealment in his expressive, comical paintings.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:15 -0400)

Telling his faithful dog to make sure nobody touches his clothes but him, a cowboy jumps into a New Mexico river for a bath, not realizing just how much the scrubbing will change his scent.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,060,411 books! | Top bar: Always visible