My Italian Bulldozer by Alexander McCall…

My Italian Bulldozer (2016)

by Alexander McCall Smith

McCall Smith always a fun read and this one is set in Italy which makes it all the better. ( )
  triscuit | Oct 4, 2017 |
Because of a bulldozer, it's absurd and delightful and loving. Paul, from Scotland, arrives in Italy. Little does he expect that transportation will become his major problem. Thank God for people who own and drive bulldozers. Also, thank goodness there are people who are willing to try something new. They aren't afraid to take a risk.

Over and over I told myself this isn't a memoir it's a novel. I now desire a bulldozer for a Christmas gift. With that extravagant wish put aside, I have loved meeting Paul and his friends. At one point, he is a man with not a woman in sight. In the next moment, there are far too many ladies grabbing for his attention. Paul's heart is huge, and so he never can throw any one over. No matter how aggravating he finds something in a person to love and cherish.

With unexpected misfortunes, he doesn't give up. He makes the best of every situation. Paul also knows not only about mushrooms he is able to gather the best from conversations. In "My Italian Bulldozer" by Alexander McCall Smith, the conversations are like vintage wine from Tuscany. I wanted to swirl the conversations in a wine goblet and sniff the richness of the grapes. Of course, there is Italy with its magic: Caravaggio, Montalcino and the Pisa.

The novel is all about love whether it is given back in a package of your choosing or given back looking totally different from what you would ever expect. The Italians are friendly, and there is always salami, olives and best of all Art. ( )
  Tea58 | Sep 25, 2017 |
A chapter of accidents, a passage of misunderstandings, a good-natured journey to the hearts of Italy, wine and man, and an enticing blend of atmosphere, humor, bemusement, amusement and romance, My Italian Bulldozer is highly recommended.

As usual with Alexander McCall Smith’s books, there’s a fine cast of off-beat characters, a wealth of crazy situations—starting of course with the eponymous bulldozer, which begs the question (and will have you believing the answer), who rents bulldozers to tourists?

Love, like fine wine, is many splendored, may be inconveniently labeled, and deserves a serious chance in this novel. There’s a pleasing feel that all necessary second chances will somehow appear, and an enjoyable pact between reader and author that the glorious countryside will be enjoyed, as will the food; disbelief will be most willingly suspended and rewarded during the process.

Disclosure: I borrowed it from a friend and I love it! ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Jul 12, 2017 |
A light and enjoyable read. Great sense of humor, as always. And as usual, apart from the main plot ( which in itself is a curious one, with slightly ridiculous circumstances), McCall Smith ventures with abandon into interesting ruminations on life, history, politics, art and what not.​ As my friend once pointed out, "there is always a lesson to be learned" in each of McCall Smith's books... ( )
1 vote Clara53 | Jul 5, 2017 |
Delightful. McCall Smith can always add a smile to my day as I read his latest book. Imagine going to Italy, finding the car that you had rented is not available, and being forced to use a bulldozer as your vehicle. As always, McCall makes the plot work and as the story illustrates you accept what life gives you, and in the case of a rented bulldozer, you can change life for several people. McCall Smith’s description of small town Italian life rings true with his careful seasoning of variety of characters in in this book about a food writer. ( )
  brangwinn | May 27, 2017 |
THIS BOOK IS FOR William Dalrymple, author and historian
It was the first time Paul had made duck a l'orange for friends since Becky left him for her personal trainer.
Love was a soufflé that could only too easily collapse and could rarely be revived.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,508,876 books! | Top bar: Always visible