The Island Stallion by Walter Farley

The Island Stallion (1948)

by Walter Farley

443None23,489 (4)8

Read this book when I was very young, it made such an impression on me that I couldn't remember the title, or if I had watched a movie or just read the book. Took me years of working in a bookstore to find out what book had made such an impression on me! ( )
  jspringbrinkley | Mar 15, 2014 |
I started a Black Stallion re-read several years ago, and though I've been buying the books as I come across them, I've failed to keep up with my re-read. Probably because I knew that this was next in line, and I never liked the Island books as well as the ones about the Black. My memory served me well- this is a clunky, painful book. The two human characters are dorky beyond all belief, and the horses are either angels or demons. The plot about the Conquistadores is also clunky. Clunky, clunky, clunky. And yet... I read the whole thing again. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
This is one of my favorite books in the series. I loved the idea of the hidden valley and all the secret tunnels (I'm a sucker for tunnels ever since I read "The Hobbit") and of course the magnificent wild stallion. ( )
  FionaCat | Aug 21, 2007 |
It's been years since I read this, but I loved these books when I was a child. ( )
  herebedragons | Feb 9, 2007 |
Dedicated to all boys and girls who love horses but never have had one of their own.
Azul Island.

When Steve Duncan is asked to go on an archeological search on a remote Caribbean island, he never imagines the stallion he will find there. But the giant horse is unapproachable, showing nothing but fear and fury towards people. When the stallion gets caught in quicksand, can Steve get close enough to save the wild horse?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:44 -0400)

A boy and his archeologist friend spend two weeks on a desolate Caribbean island where they discover a hidden valley, underground tunnels built by Spanish Conquistadors, and a wild flame-colored stallion.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,279 books! | Top bar: Always visible