All Our Wrong Todays by Elan Mastai

All Our Wrong Todays (2017)

by Elan Mastai

English (47)  German (1)  All languages (48)
Starts off clunky and tough to read, but by the end resolves itself into an interesting time-travel romp. ( )
  lkuttenkuler | Sep 10, 2018 |
Close...but not quite a favorite.

It's a very complex storyline and at some point, you just have to release trying to figure out the logic of the plot and ride it. The first 2/3 is really less about time travel and more about parallel timelines. As in, we have multiple selves that exist on different planes of time) and involves the main character traveling across the same window of time, but experiencing different versions of himself. The last 1/3 involves both directions of time travel - traveling back to a point in time and materially changing the selves that would come later. Like I said...interesting, but very complicated to follow.

There's aspects of sci-fi and romance, but it's not wholly either so it might find readers in either of these genres, but won't wholly satisfy either. It doesn't have the romance of The Time Traveler's Wife or Outlander, the cultural drama of 11/22/63, or the mechanics of the time machine.

Thematically, t's probably closest to Crouch's Dark Matter, though not *that* close. Of the too, I preferred Dark Matter, but there's room for both, so if you liked that, try this one and vice versa.

I'll be curious to follow the author's writing trajectory - there's a lot of interesting potential there. ( )
  angiestahl | Aug 20, 2018 |
I don't really know how I feel about this book. There were parts that were enjoyable and parts that were so long and boring. It was an interesting premise and generally I enjoyed it. ( )
  Catsysta | Aug 5, 2018 |
I like books that review themselves: "So, I'm sorry this isn't a time travel romp. I was expecting causal loops and reality fluctuations and branching dimensions and scientifically questionable solutions to ornate space-time paradoxes. I wasn't expecting actual human pain."

A fun, goofy narrator gets the book started, romance helps drive it along, and dramatic turns keep it thrilling. What a wonderful take on the time travel genre. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
Honestly, I had a hard time with this one starting out, as the main character is such a sad sack. And when they explain how his world turned into the Future That Never Was, I found myself doubting that a world of plenty would really overcome racism, sexism, and all the other crap humans do. But I will say, it improved quite a bit, with a great ending. So there’s that. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Jul 7, 2018 |
For my wife
So, the thing is, I come from the world we were supposed to have.

THERE’S NO SUCH THING AS THE LIFE YOU’RE “SUPPOSED” TO HAVE

You know the future that people in the 1950s imagined we’d have? Well, it happened. In Tom Barren’s 2016, humanity thrives in a techno-utopian paradise of flying cars, moving sidewalks, and moon bases, where avocados never go bad and punk rock never existed . . . because it wasn’t necessary.

Except Tom just can’t seem to find his place in this dazzling, idealistic world, and that’s before his life gets turned upside down. Utterly blindsided by an accident of fate, Tom makes a rash decision that drastically changes not only his own life but the very fabric of the universe itself. In a time-travel mishap, Tom finds himself stranded in our 2016, what we think of as the real world. For Tom, our normal reality seems like a dystopian wasteland.

But when he discovers wonderfully unexpected versions of his family, his career, and—maybe, just maybe—his soul mate, Tom has a decision to make. Does he fix the flow of history, bringing his utopian universe back into existence, or does he try to forge a new life in our messy, unpredictable reality? Tom’s search for the answer takes him across countries, continents, and timelines in a quest to figure out, finally, who he really is and what his future—our future—is supposed to be.

All Our Wrong Todays is about the versions of ourselves that we shed and grow into over time. It is a story of friendship and family, of unexpected journeys and alternate paths, and of love in its multitude of forms. Filled with humor and heart, and saturated with insight and intelligence and a mind-bending talent for invention, this novel signals the arrival of a major talent.

"There's no such thing as the life you're "supposed" to have... You know the future that people in the 1950s imagined we'd have? Well, it happened. In Tom Barren's 2016, humanity thrives in a techno-utopian paradise of flying cars, moving sidewalks, and moon bases, where avocados never go bad and punk rock never existed. because it wasn't necessary. Except Tom just can't seem to find his place in this dazzling, idealistic world, and that's before his life gets turned upside down. Utterly blindsided by an accident of fate, Tom makes a rash decision that drastically changes not only his own life but the very fabric of the universe itself. In a time-travel mishap, Tom finds himself stranded in our 2016, what we think of as the real world. For Tom, our normal reality seems like a dystopian wasteland. But when he discovers wonderfully unexpected versions of his family, his career, and--maybe, just maybe--his soul mate, Tom has a decision to make. Does he fix the flow of history, bringing his utopian universe back into existence, or does he try to forge a new life in our messy, unpredictable reality? Tom's search for the answer takes him across countries, continents, and timelines in a quest to figure out, finally, who he really is and what his future--our future--is supposed to be. All Our Wrong Todays is about the versions of ourselves that we shed and grow into over time. It is a story of friendship and family, of unexpected journeys and alternate paths, and of love in its multitude of forms. Filled with humor and heart, and saturated with insight and intelligence and a mind-bending talent for invention, this novel signals the arrival of a major talent"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,984,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible