Local Girl Missing: A Novel by Claire…

Local Girl Missing: A Novel (2016)

by Claire Douglas

The Sisters by Claire Douglas (KayCliff)
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both novels have multiple points of view, an unreliable narrator, and a complex, clever plot, but only Gone Girl is stuffed with filthy language.

English (16)  Dutch (1)  All (17)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Francesca ("Frankie") has spent the last several years creating a new life for herself in London. After the mysterious disappearance of her best friend Sophie back in their seaside hometown 18 years previously, she is making a name for herself in the hotel business in the big city. But when Sophie's older brother Daniel calls with news that some remains have washed up on shore which are suspected to be Sophie's, Frankie returns to Oldcliffe-on-Sea in the hopes of finding some answers with Daniel's urging.

I typically like stories such as these -- those with a mysterious past that gradually reveal secrets to the reader. But I found myself picking this one apart and being critical throughout my reading. The story alternates between present-day Frankie's story and supposed journal entries from Sophie back in the weeks and days before her disappearance. On the surface, I enjoyed the basic story line. However, there were too many things I didn't like about this one for it to rank higher for me. The writing itself bothered me. It was often overly dramatic and too cliche'd. It felt as though the author were trying too hard and it was obvious. No 21-year-old young woman would realistically write in her journal the way these journal entries were written. The novel seemed too drawn-out and featured a largely dislikeable main character. And during the latter portion of the book, the plot began to just get ridiculous and unrealistic.

There were some interesting aspects to the plot in this one, but they weren't enough to salvage this one for me. ( )
  indygo88 | Sep 22, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Eighteen years ago, twenty-one year old Sophie Collier disappeared from the old Victorian pier at Oldcliffe-on-the-Sea. To this day, her best friend Francesca Howe remains haunted by her disappearance. So when human remains wash up by the old pier, Frankie returns home in search of answers.

Sophie’s brother, Daniel, now an editor for the local newspaper, doesn’t believe the “death by misadventure” finding reached by the local police who investigated his sister’s disappearance. He is convinced that Sophie’s death was the result of foul play, caused by someone who terrified her.

Frankie, seeing the pier from her window, remembers how the young people who hung out there used to say it was haunted. When she catches a glimpse of a woman out on the pier, she wonders if it could possibly be the ghost of her friend. What exactly happened all those years ago? And why is Frankie so disturbed?

Alternating narratives offer readers a perspective between Sophie’s past and Frankie’s present, slowly revealing their complicated friendship, the secrets they shared, the secrets they kept from each other. As the story unfolds, however, readers may find themselves doubting the narrator’s reliability.
With strong, well-developed characters, and a twisty plot filled with unexpected revelations, readers will find this suspenseful psychological thriller difficult to set aside before turning the final page.

I received a free copy of this book through the LibraryThing Early Readers program ( )
  jfe16 | Sep 8, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was fantastic. Creepy and moving and spell binding. Such a great book to snuggle up into this fall...to get lost in and get moved by. It was paced wonderfully and kept me fully engaged, as I had a hard time putting it down. I highly recommend this book. ( )
  Mrsmommybooknerd | Sep 7, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm on page 64 and so far it is like pulling teeth. Part of the reason is where the story takes place . If it is here in the states I have a local that pulls me along. Since I have not traveled in any European countries I see nothing familiar. And unless the story is really engaging I just flip pages. I will do my best to finish and add on the rest of my review. ( )
  Kikoa | Sep 5, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was a challenge to finish. My interest gradually waned due to the tedious repetitions and a plot that needed some serious tightening. It did pick up speed toward the end, but by then I'd begun to lose interest in the mystery surrounding Sophie's death.

Francesca returns to the town where she grew up with her best friend, Sophie, when Daniel, Sophie's older brother, calls with the news that Sophie's remains have been found after twenty years. The book is told in alternating chapters between Frankie in the present and Sophie in the past.

My thanks to LibraryThing and to the publisher for this ARC. ( )
  pdebolt | Sep 4, 2017 |
Voor mijn man, Ty
It's a dreary afternoon, just after lunch, when I finally find out that you're dead.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Claire Douglas's book Local Girl Missing is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,498,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible