The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco

The Bone Witch

by Rin Chupeco

Sabriel by Garth Nix (bibliovermis)
    bibliovermis: A cultural tradition of Necromancy

I received an advanced copy of this book from Netgalley and Sourcebook. In exchange for a fair and honest review. Thank you! 🙂

I enjoyed 3/4 of this book. I found the idea of using tunes in magic and that there are different levels of magic power. The heartsglass each person wears around their neck was a neat idea. The story moved along fairly quickly until near the end and then it just lost its cohesion a bit. In my opinion. It hints at other events that have happened but they aren’t gone into in the book. Also this will probably be a series. ( )
  Arkrayder | Oct 22, 2017 |
Told in an interview past and present text, (think interview with a vampire) it's the story of a young witch's exile due to her inherent craft of raising the dead. Shunned as a dark art, Tea is sent off to apprentice under an elder Dark Asha (Bone Witch) after she unintentionally raised her dead brother from his grave.
Being a witch of great power, she is brought forth for proper training, much in line of a Geisha, but also in that of harnessing her abilities and protection against enemies.
There is a telling and showing of her story, which is intriguing. Each of her flashbacks are given their own chapters. But even tho there was great potential for this book, so much to get excited about, that just never happened. It was tediously slow and basically monotone. I kept plodding along for that crescendo building, but when the aria came, it was as flat as Tea's purported singing. Abrupt, awkward & adrift. ( )
  CherylGrimm | Sep 17, 2017 |
This book was absolutely amazing! I kept seeing it on various social media, Instagram, Facebook etc so when the opportunity to read it came I jumped on it. WOW it reminded me of Memoirs of a Geisha meets high fantasy. The story is about a girl named Tea who inadvertently raises her dead brother from the grave at his funeral. Thus revealing her power as a bone witch. The bone witch is a needed member of the community but looked down upon due to their dealing with Dark Runes. Her instructor (a powerful asha/ bone witch)finds her and takes her to train as an asha. asha are like geisha in their traditional dress and instruction. Tea is set to be one of the most powerful dark asha ever. This is the first book in a trilogy and I am dying to find out what she does next! ( )
  Verkruissen | Sep 9, 2017 |
This book had me hooked from the beginning. From the concepts of “bone witches” (witches that can raise the dead), to the society of the asha (a geisha-like community of women who wield magic), to the intricately beautiful cover, I was intrigued. Although I must say I enjoyed the story overall – and will definitely be reading the next book in the series, The Heart Forger – I think it fell short of its potential.

Rin Chupeco’s The Bone Witch told the story of Tea, already unique because of her name. In her grief after her brother’s untimely death, she accidently raises him from his grave, to the shock of those around her, family included.

"Let me be clear: I never intended to raise my brother from his grave, though he may claim otherwise. If there’s anything I’ve learned from him in the years since, it’s that the dead hide truths as well as the living."

“Bone Witch” is a derogatory term for these Dark asha able to wield magic controlling the dead, both rare and often feared amongst the people. Tea of one of these rare asha, and after raising her brother, goes to the capital to start her training. These asha are almost like geisha…though fighting geisha. Their beautiful hua they wear are similar to kimonos, and the way they entertain are likewise similar. However, asha are powerful.

Lady Mykaela: “Most people know three kinds of asha, Tea. The first are performing asha, known for their dancing and their singing, though their magic may be weaker than others. The second are fighting asha, known for their magic and prowess, though they may not be the most gracious of hosts. The third are Dark asha like us, the strongest of them all.”

Rin Chupeco has a way with words. Her writing style is very floral, and her descriptions of this strange world are beautiful, from the hua the asha wear to the city where they live. I was sucked into this world of beauty and magic and intrigue.

Although The Bone Witch follows several similar YA Fantasy tropes – a girl singled out as unique and given special powers, with which she is expected to save the world chief among them – the story itself felt new and fresh. However, the author also generally relied on descriptions rather than actions to move the story forward. I really just wanted more from this book: more background on the history of the kingdoms, more establishment for how magic and the runes worked, more about the history of bone witches and heart forgers, etc.

Overall, I actually really liked this book. The characters were interesting if often a bit one-dimensional, the world-building was well-done if a bit vague, the writing style was beautiful if a bit flowery, and the story left me wanting more. I really don’t know if I can wait another year or so until the sequel comes out (it is set to be released on March 1st, 2018)!

Thank you to NetGalley and SOURCEBOOKS Fire for an advanced copy of this eBook in exchange for an honest review.

Pst, you can also check out this review on my blog, Allison's Adventures Into Wonderlands, with added bonus material of a quiz to determine what asha you are! (Sadly, I can not take credit for the quiz, but it's still fun!)
https://allisonsadventuresintowonderlands.wordpress.com/2017/06/20/rin-chupecos-the-bone-witch/ ( )
  Allison_Krajewski | Jun 20, 2017 |

Tea's gift for death magic means that she is a bone witch, a title that makes her feared and ostracized by her community, but when an older bone witch trains her to become an asha--one who can wield elemental magic--Tea will have to overcome her obstacles and make a powerful choice in the face of danger as dark forces approach.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,408,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible