Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Little Book of Hygge: Danish Secrets to…

The Little Book of Hygge: Danish Secrets to Happy Living (2017)

by Meik Wiking

English (19)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (22)
I was definitely intrigued to learn more about Hygge when I heard of the concept. It's about a happiness and comfort, about making your life cozy. I'm definitely the kind of person who enjoys little things like a fuzzy blanket, a warm beverage and a good book. So the concept totally appeals to me.

This is the first book I've read on the topic and it seems like a very good place to start. This book teaches you what Hygge is, about how important/essential it is to the Danes and offers ideas on how to embrace Hygge in your own life.

I'll read more on the subject but I'll look for a book with more suggestions on creating Hygge. This book focuses more, in my opinion, on defining Hygge.
But I think it's a really good place to start in order to really understand the concept.

A quick, easy read, includes some recipes that I plan to try and encourages the desire to read more about Hygge. ( )
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
Coziness = Happiness

An overall interesting read, but nothing earth-shattering in my opinion. It talks about how hygge, a Danish concept that everyone can understand once explained, makes people overall happier. It shares ideas on how to bring hygge into your own life, both through actions and surroundings. It gave some good tips that I'd definitely like to incorporate into my own day-to-day. ( )
  samesfoley | Dec 26, 2018 |
The first half of this book was delightful. Full of ideas of how to bring more (for lack of a better English word) cozy into your life, it presents the case for living more simply and with more emphasis on social interactions and relationships. It also talks about cake. A lot.

The problem lies in the fact that there was probably enough information for a nice long article, but it was stretched out into a book-length project. It got a bit tedious and repetitive in the last half. I bought this for kindle for $2. I definitely think I got my money's worth. However, with the formatting issues, I do think it would be more enjoyable (and more hygge) as a physical book. So, would I recommend it? Yes. With the understanding that it's a cute little book with some interesting information about attaining happiness, but a lot of it is just gimmick. ( )
  virginiahomeschooler | Jun 8, 2018 |
While there are definitely some concepts that I want to apply to my daily life, it felt more like a gloss over than an introduction to the Danish art of living or an explanation of hygge. ( )
  oOArankaOo | Apr 2, 2018 |
A Danish researcher on happiness describes the Danish concept of hygge: a safe coziness that permeates Danes' concept of a happy life.

Wiking mostly restricts himself to survey data in bolstering his argument that happiness comes from a sense of safety, a liberal dose of unstressful social interaction, and close attention to one's physical surroundings.

There is an interesting thread to untangle about the balance between maintaining close long-term relationships and being open-hearted to new people (Wiking calls social circles that are difficult to break into the dark side of hygge). Scandanavians are famously clannish (I imagine it's not poor form to say that as I'm Swedish on one of side of my family), but maintaining one's own close relationships is what fills one's own happiness well, so that one has something to offer people who are really in need of a hot drink and a warm heart. A Swede would call that 'lagom' and a Buddhist would call it the true kind of compassion that is born from a consistent meditation practice. Or in the words of Suze Orman - put your own oxygen mask on first, and then help others :)

This looks like a short self-help book, but there's some real substance. I'm still thinking about it several weeks later. And I bought a few candle dishes. ( )
  bexaplex | Mar 13, 2018 |
Het boek Hygge, De Deense Kunst van het Leven, trekt in een boekhandel mijn aandacht: het is prachtig vormgegeven, ik word er blij van als ik het zie en in mijn handen neem. Een mooi hardcover boek, met rustige kleuren, tekeningen en foto’s. Ik ben mijn hele leven al geïnteresseerd in Levenskunst – van de Deen Meik Wiking, die in het gelukkigste land van de wereld woont en ook nog eens directeur van het Happiness Research Institute is, hoor ik dus graag zijn visie...lees verder >

The Danes are famously the happiest people in the world, and hygge is a cornerstone of their way of life. Hygge (pronounce Hoo-ga) loosely translates as a sense of comfort, togetherness, and well-being. You know hygge when you feel it. It is when you are cuddled up on the sofa with a loved one, or sharing comfort food with your closest friends. It is those crisp blue mornings when the light through your window is just right. It is about gratitude and savoring the simple pleasures in life. In short, it is the pursuit of everyday happiness.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,519,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible