Sunburn by Laura Lippman

Sunburn

by Laura Lippman

I've been reading a lot of noir lately, especially noir written by women (such as Dorothy B. Hughes). This was a fine tribute to them. My main issue was how information was fed to the reader. The narrative kept talking around gaps in the reader's knowledge in order to preserve surprises at the end, but that left me feeling muddled and sometimes as if the plot were being forced rather than proceeding organically. I was never quite sure of Polly's and Adam's love, given how many secrets they were keeping and how cool they acted. It was hard to emotionally connect with these characters, but the end chapter did help to redeem Polly a lot. ( )
  sturlington | Jun 9, 2019 |
I thought this book plodded along at times. It was very slow while it built the story. It gave a nod to film noir and the scorned wife / murderer.
In the summer of 1995, Polly / Pauline walks away from her family while on a beach vacation and holes up in a small town in DE. She meets Adam, but Adam doesn't tell her that he is a Private Investigator and he has been hired to follow her. Over the summer, you find out a bit of the back story on Polly / Pauline and why she is running from her family, and you get leaks into her family, but she still has many secrets.
I thought the best chapter was the final chapter when all is revealed. That chapter saved the book for me.

#Sunburn #LauraLippman ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
Sunburn is Lippman’s first foray into noir fiction. Though inspired by James M. Cain’s classic noir novel The Postman Always Rings Twice, the enigmatic character of Polly Costello is uniquely Lippman’s own creation. Because there are so many twists and turns, it's hard to give too many details about the plot, though a few things are quite clear from the get-go.

First, beautiful redhead Polly is a woman with a troubled past. She’s obviously on the run, but from what? As the book opens, she meets a handsome stranger Adam in a bar in Delaware. Sparks fly but the real fun for the reader is trying to figure out what these two people are up to—because they are definitely up to something.

The ending came as a total surprise and was eminently satisfying, in a dark, noirish sort of way.

Somewhere out there, James Cain must be smiling. ( )
  darylanderson | Dec 26, 2018 |
Noir! ( )
  grigoro | Dec 13, 2018 |
This book was captivating from the very beginning. I was instantly drawn in to the characters and wanted to know more about them. I am a total sucker for characters with hidden backstories, and this book was no exception. The way the story unfolded, I fully believed that I had predicted the ending and everything would be tied up in a neat little bow for me just the way I expected. I am happy to say that I was wrong. The ending shocked me in more ways than one and I was pleasantly surprised with how the author chose to end the story. I don't really have any complaints about this novel, I thought each character was relatable and lovable. I thought the book was unique, even though I don't think the core plot was. I honestly would read this book again right away if I had the time and a smaller TBR stack! ( )
  startwithgivens | Dec 4, 2018 |
For Ann and Michael
Because in real life, I root for happy endings
It's the sunburned shoulders that get him. Pink, peeling.

When they meet at a local tavern in the small town of Belleville, Delaware, Polly is set on heading west. Adam says he's also passing through. Yet they stay-- and over a punishing summer, Polly and Adam abandon themselves to a steamy, inexorable affair. Still, each holds something back from the other-- dangerous, even lethal, secrets. Then someone dies. Accident, or part of a plan? By now, Adam and Polly are so ensnared in each other's lives and lies that neither one knows how to get away-- even if they want to. Will the truth ultimately destroy them? -- adapted from jacket blurb.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,298,731 books! | Top bar: Always visible