Whatever Happened to Janie? by Caroline B.…

Whatever Happened to Janie? (1993)

by Caroline B. Cooney

993None8,581 (3.51)26

English (18)  French (1)  All languages (19)
A continuation of The Face on The Milk Carton. Janie has to go live with her "real" family, even though she considers her other parents to be her "real" parents. She has a hard time going from being an only child to being one of five noisy children, all the while missing her boyfriend and other parents. ( )
  LaneLiterati | Mar 27, 2013 |
I absolutely loved the dynamics between the characters. I just wanted to slap the shit out of Jodie and Stephen and tell them to fucking get over it, but it was very realistic in the portrayal of teenagers who've lived through something traumatic. ( )
  benuathanasia | Feb 24, 2013 |
I’ve always been conflicted about this book. I’m a huge “what happens next” kind of person, but in some way, I don’t really want anything more to happen to Janie. Everyone involved in these stories has suffered immeasurably and I very much want things to be better. But life doesn’t usually work that way, so why would a book?

I’d first like to acknowledge that this story is pretty implausible. I know that most kids who are kidnapped aren’t really living safely with another family. They don’t usually come home. And they definitely don’t get to choose anything that goes along with this. But if you set that all aside, I still say this is a reasonably realistic set of books.

To read the rest of my review, please visit my blog. ( )
  dorolerium | Dec 31, 2012 |
This book picks up right where the first book ("The Face on the Milk Carton") left off. After discovering that she was kidnapped at the age of three, Janie is forced to live with her "birth" parents, much to her dismay. She is rude and obnoxious and makes little attempt to blend in or get to know her birth family. Although not as good as the first book, i thought this was an interesting read. I can see its appeal to teenagers, and would not hesitate to recommend the series. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Jul 11, 2011 |
I didn't mean to read this book, it was just sitting there. Thrust aside as the second in a series that I was not able to locate the first. Honnest it was an accident.
Despite being the second in a series it was a stand alone book, there was nothing that was missing or sections where you felt you were having a quick update from the other book. Where informtion needed to be passed a number of different techniques were used from flash backs to telling other characters. when this ws done there was always more to the passage so that those who had read the first book would still see a progression and not simply a retelling.
The story is of a girl who discovers from a picture on a milk carton that she is infact not the daughter of teh people she calls mom a dad but a kidnap victim (the first book). this second book covers what happens after she has it confirmed, the meeting of her other family and how they react to her. The emotional turmoil that she and all of the those arround her suffer.
It is a teen book, but a good one.
  jessicariddoch | Aug 10, 2010 |
For Sayre, who knew what happened to Janie.
After their sister's kidnapping, Dad not only took Stephen and Jodie to school every morning, he held their hands.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440219248, Mass Market Paperback)

No one ever paid attention to the faces of missing children on milk cartons. But as Janie  Johnson glanced at the face of the little girl who had been taken twelve years ago, she recognized that little girl--it was herself.

The mystery of the kidnapping is unraveled, but the nightmare is not over. The Spring family wants justice, but who is to blame? It's difficult to figure out what's best for everyone.

Janie Johnson or Janie Spring? There's enough love for everyone, but how can the two separate families live happily ever after?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:58 -0400)

The members of two families have their lives disrupted when a teenage girl who had been kidnapped twelve years earlier discovers that the people who raised her are not her biological parents. Sequel to "The Face on the Milk Carton."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible