The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul…

The Cabin at the End of the World

by Paul Tremblay

A quick read, but not well written. ( )
  sberson | Mar 9, 2019 |
Eric and Andrew have taken their daughter Wen to a remote cabin in the woods to, what else, get away from it all. It is in a beautiful, remote spot on a lake. Wen has just turned seven and is enthralled with the world around her and her perspective informs the reader that she is old hat at the adopted with two dads business and completely precious.

Wen is outside when she is approached by a strange man. He's huge, friendly, and Leonard befriends her quickly despite her knowing better. He tells Wen that her daddies are going to have to let him and his friends in, that nothing is going to be her fault, and that her daddies have to help them save the world.

I was captivated by this, make no mistake. But there were elements of this that, while important to the plot, I couldn't accept as a reader. In many ways it was too unrelenting, too dark. An apocalypse novel shouldn't be light, but there was too much left unsaid by the last page for me to get over what had happened and call it fair. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 20, 2019 |
Ugh, I absolutely did not like this book! Too much gore and violence. Eric, Andrew, and their 7-year old daughter, Wen, are on vacation at a secluded New England cabin. Wen is outside catching grasshoppers when a strange man approaches her, and promises that he will not hurt her. Then, three more people come and force their way into the cabin.
They claim to the family that the apocalypse is near unless the family sacrifices one of their own. They refuse, and the killings start.
It takes a tragic turn, which is heartbreaking, but the ending provides a small bit of hope.
I read this book on the recommendation of a book list for new novels, but it was not my cup of tea!

#TheCabinAtTheEndOfTheWorld #PaulTremblay ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
5 Stars

The Cabin at the End of the World is, without a doubt one of the most talked about novels of the year, with nearly equal amounts of love and hate for the latest work from Paul Tremblay. This is my third book by this Massachusetts writer. I loved A Head Full of Ghosts and liked Disappearance at Devil's Rock and fall squarely in the love column for this brilliant take on the apocalypse.

I took the time to read several of the one-star reviews and they actually have legitimate complaints, I just happen to have a difference of opinion. I actually liked the open ending. It left me pondering the possible outcomes. Something I'll be thinking about for some time to come.

The whole story is thought-provoking, start to finish. Andrew and Eric are spending time at their secluded cabin in the woods. Their little girl, Wen, is in the yard catching grasshoppers and putting them in a jar. She knows all about stranger danger, but sometimes a child just gets caught in the moment. That's what happens when the kind and gentle Leonard starts to engage her about the art of catching the insects.

Before we know it Leonard is joined by Redmond, Adriane, and Sabrina. Their story about the end of the world and the part Andrew, Eric, and Wen are to play is unfathomable and the solution untenable.

The writing is wonderful...

"Too many people have smiles that don't mean what a smile is supposed to mean. Their smiles are often cruel and mocking, like how a bully's grin is the same as a fist."

I found The Cabin at the End of the World to be an imaginative "What would you do?" story. I asked myself that very question, again an again, as I read the story. I could easily see this as a feature film.

Strongly recommended, but be prepared to love it or hate it. There is little middle ground.

Cabin at the End of the World is published by William Morrow and is available in all formats.

From the author's bio - Paul Tremblay is the author of Disappearance at Devil’s Rock, A Head Full of Ghosts, and the crime novels The Little Sleep and No Sleep Till Wonderland. He has won the Bram Stoker, British Fantasy, and Massachusetts Book Awards and is currently a member of the board of directors of the Shirley Jackson Awards. He has a master’s degree in mathematics and lives outside Boston with his wife and two children. ( )
  FrankErrington | Dec 27, 2018 |
If countless horror movies haven't convinced you that it's never a good idea to vacation in a remote cabin in the woods, this book surely will. Married couple Eric and Andrew are vacationing with their adopted daughter Wen in the New Hampshire backwoods when four very creepy people show up, break in, and tell them that the world is going to end imminently if they don't make a horrendous choice. The action takes place over the next couple of days as the suspense ratchets up to unbearable levels--and Tremblay does not take the action in expected directions. Some readers may not care for the ending, but I thought it was perfect, because the novel captured so well the existential uncertainty we all live in, having to make choices without knowing what the potential consequences may be and having to continue moving forward no matter what--a theme that elevates this above a mere thriller. Paul Tremblay is fast becoming one of my favorite horror writers, and his latest did not disappoint. ( )
1 vote sturlington | Dec 6, 2018 |
Then back in the ground / We look at our hands / And wonder aloud / Could anyone choose to die / In the end everybody wins / In the end everybody wins --Future of the Left, "The Hope That House Built"

Meanwhile, planes drop from the sky / People disappear and bullets fly... Wouldn't be surprised if they have their way / (Tastes just like chicken they say.) --Clutch, "Animal Farm"

...because when the blanket of death came for us we kicked it off and were left naked and shivering in the world. --Nadia Bulkin, "Seven Minutes in Heaven," She Said Destory
for Lisa, Cole, Emma, and for us
The girl with the dark hair walks down the wooden front stairs and lowers herself into the yellowing lagoon of ankle-high grass.

Seven-year-old Wen and her parents, Eric and Andrew, are vacationing at a remote cabin on a quiet New Hampshire lake. Their closest neighbors are more than two miles in either direction along a rutted dirt road. One afternoon, as Wen catches grasshoppers in the front yard, a stranger unexpectedly appears in the driveway. Leonard is the largest man Wen has ever seen but he is young, friendly, and he wins her over almost instantly. Leonard and Wen talk and play until Leonard abruptly apologizes and tells Wen, "None of whats going to happen is your fault". Three more strangers then arrive at the cabin carrying unidentifiable, menacing objects. As Wen sprints inside to warn her parents, Leonard calls out: "Your dads wont want to let us in, Wen. But they have to. We need your help to save the world." Thus begins an unbearably tense, gripping tale of paranoia, sacrifice, apocalypse, and survival that escalates to a shattering conclusion, one in which the fate of a loving family and quite possibly all of humanity are entwined.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,445,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible