Running With the Wolves by J.E. Reed

Running With the Wolves (2018)

by J.E. Reed

The Maze Runner by James Dashner (paigemartin)
    paigemartin: The characters are placed in a foreign environment without an understanding of how they got there or who put them there. The battle to escape back to reality is filled with monsters and adventures that lead to an incredible amount of character development.… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Leaves a lot unanswered, but I am assuming it will have a sequel based on where (physically, not emotionally) it left off. Since that is probably the case, I would have even broke this in two and there are two very distinct halves to the story. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Nov 9, 2018 |
I heard about this book a while back and could not wait to dig in. I was not disappointed, finding it difficult to put it down. One reviewer called Running With the Wolves (The Chronopoint Chronicles Book 1) by J.E. Reed, Ready Player One/Hunger Game’s love child. I’d add to that characterization that it could have been nannied by the Maze Runner.

Kiuno is what I call a likely hero thrown into a world she’s apparently destined to come out on top in. The thrill ride is in getting there. Kiuno is not your run-of-the-mill wishy-washy heroine, she’s a true girl on fire, and some, that knows what she wants. Straightway, Reed successfully throws Kiuno and the reader into the game, only spattering in backstory through dialogue when needed. This one starts out fast and finishes even faster. Reed gets it all right from world-building (loved the escalation of scary creatures and increasingly elaborate structures), to imagery/description (I often times felt like I was watching a movie) to fast-paced action and fight scenes (brutal comes to mind. Watch out kiddies. PG-13 for sure).

Reed’s pacing is also on point. Kiuno has a lofty goal early on in the novel. She’s on a quest of sorts. Her search leads to a satisfying resolution in a big way and at a costly price. I love the characters and their development through their actions. They were both complex and contrasting. Get the names; Kikyo, Scorpios, Elite, Blade, and my favorite, Palindrome, just to name a few. The biggest bomb drops halfway through the novel when Reed makes a daring move (can’t say ‘cause that would be a spoiler) that’s she executes brilliantly, and it plays out well in the end. Five easy stars for Running With the Wolves and impatiently, eagerly awaiting Book 2 of the Chronopoint series. Monster debut. Well done, J.E. Reed. ( )
1 vote jwins2hot | Jul 22, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Overall I enjoyed this book and it was a lot of fun, although it had a frustrating hiccough in the middle. Based on the idea of becoming trapped in a fantasy computer game it could have been completely derivative, but it managed to partially avoid this. One thing that I found confusing was the age of the main character - was referred to as a girl but was also married, so that made it difficult for me to create a good image of her in my mind. ( )
  Cfraser | Jun 23, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book has a very deceptive title but I totally enjoyed reading it. Following the lives of Kiuono, Kikyo, Reece, Scorpios, Matlack, Elite was an absolute joy that made me seriously want to read any other books under Chronopoint series. If you love gaming and fantasy fiction, this book is a perfect match for you! ( )
1 vote kmshah | Jun 1, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The book started off really slowly. I pushed myself to continue reading it and it improved. The pace picked up and the details were amazing. Over halfway done, somethings happened in the story and I lost interest. There were a lot of things that did not add up while reading. It was still an amazing book to read and an wonderful idea. If the one thing had not happened, I would have continued reading and I would have left a higher rating. ( )
  dreamer66 | May 20, 2018 |
To my loving husband, whose patience knows no bounds, and whose encouragement could make anyone believe in changing the world.
Lying in bed, the chatter caused her mind to stir from that blissful place that lingers on the edge of dreams.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

J.E. Reed's book Running With the Wolves is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

J.E. Reed is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,822,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible