Irish Girls About Town: An Anthology of…

Irish Girls About Town: An Anthology of Short Stories (2002)

by Maeve Binchy, Cathy Kelly, Marian Keyes

Mixed bag of short stories - outside my normal genre so i can't judge objectively but I liked some a lot, suspect others are more harlequin-weight - but a fun quick read if you're at all interested I do recommend. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Some of the stories in this book were a little too "romance novel"ish for my tastes but some were quite good. The Twenty-eighth Day, which is about a woman with severe PMS, by Catherine Berry was quite funny given the topic. Your Place or Mine by Gemma O'Connor is not at all what you would expect from the title;in fact, the ending is creepy. Carissima by Maeve Binchy is a story I had read before but it reminds me why Binchy is so well-liked. Playing Games by Catherine Dunne had a totally unexpected twist at the end. So I'm giving it an average rating because some of the 16 stories were quite good but some were pedestrian. ( )
  gypsysmom | Jul 23, 2014 |
A collection of short stories, most of which resembled each other. The one I liked best was "The Cup Runneth Over". The others were too girly and not original at all.
  verenka | Jun 17, 2010 |
I like how there is a mixture of styles in this collection, and most of the stories have quite unpredictable endings.
  deadgirl | Dec 27, 2008 |
Excellent collection of humorous short stories based in and around the UK. "28 days" is probably relatable to every female on the planet :) ( )
  debavp | Dec 8, 2008 |

Maeve Binchyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kelly, Cathymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Keyes, Marianmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743483014, Mass Market Paperback)

Get ready to paint the town green.

New York Times bestselling authors Maeve Binchy and Marian Keyes top an impressive roster of the Emerald Isle's most popular women writers as they celebrate the joys and perils of love and the adventure and constancy of female friendships.

In Maeve Binchy's "Carissima," an ex-pat returns to Ireland and shakes things up for her family, who finds her free spirit scandalous. In "Soulmates," by Marian Keyes, one woman's relationship is so bleedin' perfect that it's driving her friends crazy. In Cathy Kelly's "Thelma, Louise and the Lurve Gods," two women on a madcap Stateside road trip encounter a pair of insanely good-looking men....These fabulous stories and a baker's dozen more prove that when it comes to spinning a good yarn, the Irish are the best in the business.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:06 -0400)

Contemporary Irish stories.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,152,030 books! | Top bar: Always visible