Irish Girls About Town: An Anthology of…

Irish Girls About Town: An Anthology of Short Stories (2002)

by Maeve Binchy, Cathy Kelly, Marian Keyes

Some of the stories in this book were a little too "romance novel"ish for my tastes but some were quite good. The Twenty-eighth Day, which is about a woman with severe PMS, by Catherine Berry was quite funny given the topic. Your Place or Mine by Gemma O'Connor is not at all what you would expect from the title;in fact, the ending is creepy. Carissima by Maeve Binchy is a story I had read before but it reminds me why Binchy is so well-liked. Playing Games by Catherine Dunne had a totally unexpected twist at the end. So I'm giving it an average rating because some of the 16 stories were quite good but some were pedestrian. ( )
  gypsysmom | Jul 23, 2014 |
A collection of short stories, most of which resembled each other. The one I liked best was "The Cup Runneth Over". The others were too girly and not original at all.
  verenka | Jun 17, 2010 |
I like how there is a mixture of styles in this collection, and most of the stories have quite unpredictable endings.
  deadgirl | Dec 27, 2008 |
Excellent collection of humorous short stories based in and around the UK. "28 days" is probably relatable to every female on the planet :) ( )
  debavp | Dec 8, 2008 |
I flew through this book of 15 stories, all written by Irish women. The theme throughout is that of relationships, ranging from familial to marriage, and even though there is a single theme, there are enough variations of it to make it easy to read and just as easy to enjoy.

My personal favorites were "Soulmates" by Marian Keyes, "The Twenty-Eighth Day" by Catherine Barry, and "Thelma, Louise and the Lurve Gods" by Cathy Kelly. Don't get me wrong though, there is not a bad story in the bunch, it's just that I felt compelled to list the ones that stick out in my mind the most.

"Soulmates" is an interesting tale about two 'perfect' people fated to meet and be together because they are, yes, soulmates. Everything is just right when it comes to these two: their meeting, their courtship, and subsequent marriage. But when trouble looms on the horizon, their friends harbor a secret hope that all will unravel, and do so badly. I will leave it for you to read the story to find out what happens.

"The Twenty-Eighth Day" is for anyone who has suffered through PMS – and I just don't mean the woman:

"I am being tormented and tortured by some unknown force I cannot touch or feel. It's like somebody else has taken over my body, mind, and soul. There is a demon spirit inside me, telling me to do inappropriate things, prompting me to say hurtful, offensive words, urging me to be the meanest b---- that ever walked the earth."

"Thelma, Louise and the Lurve Gods" initially appears to be a story about a woman who needs a vacation from her boring life, to experience something more exciting than "not having a Chinese takeaway on Friday nights but…shock, horror…having pizza instead." No sooner does the vacation begin than a snag threatens to destroy all her hopes. However she eventually learns that the trip she is on is one of self-discovery, for as she notes, "Although my own world had shifted on its axis after the holiday, in the office nothing had changed." Things around her remained the same, it was she who had changed - who needed to change - so she could see those things, and herself, more clearly.

I am giving this book a 5 star rating since I truly could not put this book down. Not once.

Note: As with the U.K. and Irish edition, Barnardo's and the Society of St. Vincent de Paul will benefit from the sale of this edition of Irish Girls About Town.
1 vote jcmontgomery | Oct 23, 2008 |

Maeve Binchyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kelly, Cathymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Keyes, Marianmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743483014, Mass Market Paperback)

Get ready to paint the town green.

New York Times bestselling authors Maeve Binchy and Marian Keyes top an impressive roster of the Emerald Isle's most popular women writers as they celebrate the joys and perils of love and the adventure and constancy of female friendships.

In Maeve Binchy's "Carissima," an ex-pat returns to Ireland and shakes things up for her family, who finds her free spirit scandalous. In "Soulmates," by Marian Keyes, one woman's relationship is so bleedin' perfect that it's driving her friends crazy. In Cathy Kelly's "Thelma, Louise and the Lurve Gods," two women on a madcap Stateside road trip encounter a pair of insanely good-looking men....These fabulous stories and a baker's dozen more prove that when it comes to spinning a good yarn, the Irish are the best in the business.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:06 -0400)

Contemporary Irish stories.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,024,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible