Roma by Steven Saylor

Roma (2007)

by Steven Saylor

Series: Novels of Ancient Rome (1)

Recently added byprivate library, bibliophilistic21, penrodbm, rodrigo.e, BarbN, brainx, kara.shamy, alimcintyre

English (48)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (51)
I love all of Steven Saylor's writings, since he brings the ancient world to life and somehow binds the reader to the book's characters with an emotion that endures. The added bonus is that you can actually learn some history along the way. This book recounts the history of Rome, giving a likely scenario of how diverse legendary characters developed. It is a great read, as are all his books. I am going to read the 7 Wonders next ( )
  MTedesco | Jul 3, 2013 |
As I read Roma, I was reminded of [b:Sarum: The Novel of England|92163|Sarum The Novel of England|Edward Rutherfurd|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1266470349s/92163.jpg|1952547]. Roma has the same sweeping historical span while remaining in one geographical location. I can't speak for the historical accuracy, although I'm sure Mr. Saylor did his research; but the characters were real and intriguing. While this is not a book I will re-read, it still led me to find and purchase the next few books in the series. ( )
  Jammies | Mar 31, 2013 |
A history of ancient Rome, from the pre-regal period, through the Republic, to the age of Augustus, told through the eyes of successive family members. Key points in Roman history are highlighted.

Overall, not so good. Tells the story, but not in anyway exciting. Saylor's detective stories are far more fun and enjoyable to read. ( )
  Traveller1 | Mar 30, 2013 |
If you like history, love the Roman Empire, and enjoy historical fiction, then I would definitely recommend this book. I admit that I'm a Saylor fan - I love his Roma Sub Rosa series - but this is quite a different undertaking. He does not shy away from the grittier parts - I love that. Some may complain that it is fragmented and the breadth is too large to attempt with cohesion, but I think it was really well done. I enjoyed watching the Potitii/Pinarii morph through history, and I found myself wanting more all the time. I read it quickly and I'm happily delving into Empire now. Obviously by covering so much you cannot develop characters as much as a traditional novel might, but I didn't feel like it was lacking. I devoured the book, the history, the hypothetical characters intertwined with the lives of great men and women of the past. It may not be for everyone, but I recommend it! ( )
  texichan | Aug 18, 2012 |
More an interesting way to get some Roman history than a satisfying novel. It reminds me of those dioramas you used to get in museums, full of interesting features, convincing detail, and little wooden people. ( )
  annesadleir | Mar 20, 2012 |
Like James Michener, Saylor the novelist (A Gladiator Dies Only Once, 2005, etc.) is upstaged by Saylor the historian—except when he suggests that history itself is fact-based fiction.
added by Christa_Josh | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 1, 2007)

This work will attract a different fan base from Saylor's other work (e.g., Arms of Nemesis ) but should prove appealing to history and political buffs who enjoy comparing our current events with ancient Rome
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Mary K. Bird-Guilliams (Feb 1, 2007)

Author of the critically acclaimed Roma Sub Rosa series of historical mysteries, Saylor (The Judgment of Caesar) breaks out on an epic scale in this sprawling novel tracing Rome's extraordinary development over five centuries, as seen through the eyes of succeeding generations of one of its founding families.
added by Christa_Josh | editPublishers Weekly (Nov 27, 2006)

Steven Saylorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hjukström, CharlotteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the shade of Titus Livius, known in English as Livy, who preserved for us the earliest tales of earliest Rome.
As they rounded a bend in the path that ran beside the river, Lara recognized the silhouette of a fig tree atop a nearby hill.

Weaving history, legend, and new archaeological discoveries into a spellbinding narrative, critically acclaimed novelist Steven Saylor gives new life to the drama of the city's first thousand years -- from the founding of the city by the ill-fated twins Romulus and Remus, through Rome's astonishing ascent to become the capitol of the most powerful empire in history. Roma recounts the tragedy of the hero-traitor Coriolanus, the capture of the city by the Gauls, the invasion of Hannibal, the bitter political struggles of the patricians and plebeians, and the ultimate death of Rome's republic with the triumph, and assassination, of Julius Caesar.
Witnessing this history, and sometimes playing key roles, are the descendents of two of Rome's first families, the Potitius and Pinarius clans: One is the confidant of Romulus. One is born a slave and tempts a Vestal virgin to break her vows. One becomes a mass murderer. And one becomes the heir of Julius Caesar. Linking the generations is a
mysterious talisman as ancient as the city itself.

Witnessing this history, and sometimes playing key roles, are the descendents of two of Rome's first families, the Potitius and Pinarius clans:  One is the confidant of Romulus. One is born a slave and tempts a Vestal virgin to break her vows. One becomes a mass murderer. And one becomes the heir of Julius Caesar. Linking the generations is a
mysterious talisman as ancient as the city itself.
     Epic in every sense of the word, Roma is a panoramic historical saga and Saylor's finest achievement to date.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:24 -0400)

"Spanning a thousand years, and following the shifting fortunes of two families though the ages, this is the epic saga of Rome, the city and its people."--From source other than the Library of Congress

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

ROMA by Steven Saylor was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,483,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible