A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by…

A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier (2007)

by Ishmael Beah, ishmael beah

4,5422461,055 (4.01)1 / 221

My son had to read this for eighth grade, so I did too. Ugh. ( )
  Stembie3 | Jun 14, 2015 |
RGG: First-person account of a teenage boy surviving a civil war in Sierra Leone, in part by being drafted into the army and then later being rehabilitated. Very graphic violence.
  rgruberhighschool | May 17, 2015 |
So many horrific atrocities involving children that I kept rechecking the cover desperately hoping to see it was really a novel. Not an enjoyable read, but a very important one. ( )
  dele2451 | Mar 21, 2015 |
Really anything that I could write here would be insufficient, so I just have to say - READ THIS BOOK. It's amazing and heartbreaking and inspiring all at once. The only thing I would have liked to read in this book is how the author made it from Guinea to the United States at the end. Maybe he'll write another memoir about that step of his life later on? Otherwise - perfection. ( )
  schatzi | Mar 8, 2015 |
Ismaeh Beah recounts how he was recruited, against his will, to be a child soldier in Sierra Leone. This is a riveting story of how innocent children are exposed to violence and forced to commit horrible acts in order to survive. I was especially horrified at how relentlessly soldiers recruited children to fight their war. The accounts are sometimes graphic but necessary in order to understand the conditions that Beah lived through. This book is recommeded for young adult readers from grade 10 upward. ( )
  AleashaKachel | Feb 19, 2015 |

Ishmael Beahprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
beah, ishmaelmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To the memories of Nya Nje, Nya Keke, Nya Ndig-ge isa, and Kaynya. Your spririts and presence within me give me strength to carry on,

to all the children of Sierra Leone who were robbed of their childhoods,

and to the memory of Walter (Wally) Scheuer for his generous and compassionate heart and for teaching me the etiquette of being a gentleman
My high school friends have begun to suspect I haven't told them the full story of my life.
Disturbing, but powerful book that deals with the horrible effects of violence and desperation. The author was lucky to be chosen to be "rehabilitated", but so many others were not. It actually seems like a miracle that he could be rehabilitated- his mentors showed incredible persistence in the face of extreme resistance. The memoir also demonstrates the power of the group to influence the behavior of the individual. It staggers the mind to try to grasp how much effort it would take to rehabilitate all the violent members of the world.

This is how wars are fought now: by children, hopped-up on drugs and wielding AK-47s. Children have become soldiers of choice. In the more than fifty conflicts going on worldwide, it is estimated that there are some 300,000 child soldiers. Ishmael Beah used to be one of them.

What is war like through the eyes of a child soldier? How does one become a killer? How does one stop? Child soldiers have been profiled by journalists, and novelists have struggled to imagine their lives. But until now, there has not been a first-person account from someone who came through this hell and survived.

In A Long Way Gone, Beah, now twenty-five years old, tells a riveting story: how at the age of twelve, he fled attacking rebels and wandered a land rendered unrecognizable by violence. By thirteen, he'd been picked up by the government army, and Beah, at heart a gentle boy, found that he was capable of truly terrible acts.

This is a rare and mesmerizing account, told with real literary force and heartbreaking honesty.

"My new friends have begun to suspect I haven't told them the full story of my life.
'Why did you leave Sierra Leone?'
'Because there is a war.'
'You mean, you saw people running around with guns and shooting each other?'
'Yes, all the time.'
'Cool.'
I smile a little.
'You should tell us about it sometime.'
'Yes, sometime.'"

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:33 -0400)

A human rights activist offers a firsthand account of war from the perspective of a former child soldier, detailing the violent civil war that wracked his native Sierra Leone and the government forces that transformed a gentle young boy into a killer as a member of the army.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,856,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible