West with the Night by Beryl Markham

West with the Night (1942)

by Beryl Markham

English (64)  Spanish (2)  All languages (66)
Phenomenally well written! I don't usually highlight passages when I read, but Beryl Markham uses absolutely fantastic phrases and analogies, honestly I've highlighted entire pages. An incredible memoir of a remarkable woman. ( )
  Jackie_Sassa | Nov 20, 2015 |
This is the second time that I've read this book, and it's been one of my favorite books since I first read it about 25 years ago. Beryl is a very modern woman living in Africa in the 1920s, embracing a spirit of adventure, and rising to challenges. She opens the book by identifying it as a memoir and not an autobiography, and her writing draws the reader into the tapestry of her memory so that we can relive the adventures along with her. It's no wonder that Hemingway praised this book - there's a lot to admire in the writing and the woman who wrote it. ( )
  Neftzger | Oct 19, 2015 |
I read this after reading Paula McLain's historical fiction Circling the Sun about Markham's life in Kenya.This lovely and well written memoir describes her memories as a child growing up in colonial Africa, as a horse trainer and as a pilot. As an aviator, mark ham carries mail and supplies to those in need, scouts elephants for white hunters, and journies west with the wind across the Atlantic. Her descriptions and musings about life in Africa illustrate her affection for the nature and the wild. ( )
  KatherineGregg | Oct 18, 2015 |
Circling the Sun enters now. Here we have the beautiful setting of Kenya of the 1920’s and the characters of Out of Africa, but the focus is on the life of Beryl Markham. Beryl Markham like Karen Blixen was another very strong female in a man’s world of aviation and horse racing. Not only did she train prize-winning race horses, but she also was a pioneer in aviation. She was the first woman to fly west over the Atlantic. This book focuses on her early life and interactions with Karen Blixen and her own love affair with Denys Finch Hatton. We learn of Beryl’s wild upbringing and early exposure to the Kipsigis natives which will impact Beryl’s life.

I could not believe it when I saw that this was 384 pages!!! It went so fast and was packed with action. Never a dull moment. I will say that this is the cleaned up and romanticized version of Beryl’s life. I loved Paula’s writing style in this book. I went on to read Beryl Markham’s own book about her life afterwards, West with the Night. It is good, but you can tell that is a factual work. It has a little bit different style being a memoir. Beryl had her own writing style and is often satirical. I liked that her book told of her aviation explorations with Baron Bror Blixen. I think it actually was a good companion to Circling the Sun. It was originally published by Markham in 1942. It was 294 pages and I bought it from Amazon.com for my kindle. ( )
  Pattymclpn | Sep 21, 2015 |
excellent novel Africa, horses, dogs, elephants - flying 1st woman solo England to Africa

West with the Night is the story of Beryl Markham--aviator, racehorse trainer, beauty--and her life in the Kenya of the 1920s and '30s.
  christinejoseph | Sep 11, 2015 |

Beryl Markhamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gellhorn, MarthaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I speak of Africa and golden joys." -- Shakespeare, Henry IV, Act V, Sc. 3
For my Father
"I wish to express my gratitude to Raoul Schumacher for his constant encouragement and his assistance in the preparations for this book."
"How is it possible to bring order out of memory?"
Namen sind die Schlüssel für Türen, hinter denen Halbverschüttetes liegt, verschwommen für den Verstand, vertraut jedoch im Herzen. - S.14
Niemals zögern oder zaudern, niemals sich umdrehen und niemals glauben, dass eine Stunde, an die man sich erinnert, eine bessere Stunde ist, weil sie tot ist. Vergangene Jahre scheinen sichere Jahre zu sein, eine entschwundene, gefahrlose Zeit, während die Zukunft, wie in einer konturlosen Wolke, aus der Ferne bedrohlich wirkt. Dringt man in die Wolke ein, so klart sie auf. - S. 144
Ich lernte, was jedes träumende Kind wissen muss - dass kein Horizont zu weit ist, um bis zu ihm und über ihn hinaus vorzustoßen. - S. 198
Was immer der Mensch unternimmt, Würde erlangt sein Bemühen erst, wenn echte Arbeit dahintersteckt, und fühlt man dann das Bedürfnis, sein - im Wortsinn - Handwerk auszuüben, so begreift man, dass die anderen Dinge - all die Experimente, die Eitel- und Nichtigkeiten, denen man nachjagte - ganz einfach unsinnig waren. - S. 298
...every farmer is a midwife. There is no time for mystery. There is only time for patience and care, and hope that what is born is worthy and good. p. 121
From book cover: 'More than a biography; a poet's feeling for her land; an adventurer's response to life; a philosopher's evaluation of human beings and human destinies'.
This unusual and beautifully written memoir was first published in 1942 to huge critical acclaim. Beryl Markham was born in England in 1902 and has lived in Africa since the age of four. Her father, a horse-breeder, scholar and adventureer, chose East Africa because 'it was new and you could feel the futuer of it under your feet'. She spent her childhood playing with Murani children, hunting with the Murani cheiftan and witnessing her father's patience and labour as he transformed a stretch of wilderness into a working farm. She learnt to speak Swahili, Nandi, Masai. In adolescence she was apprenticed to her father as a trainer and breeder of racehorses, and at eighteen became the first woman in Africa to be granted a racehorse trainer's license.

IN 1931, Beryl Markham turned to flying. She carried mail, passengers and supplies to the remote corners of Kenya, the Sudan and was was then Tanganyika and Rhodesia. In September1936 she made worl headlines by becoming the first person to fly solo across the Atlantic from east to west - taking off from England and crash landing in Nova Scotia twenty-one hours and twenty-five minutes later. This evocative book is rare and remarkable testimony to an Africa that no longer exists.
Original title: West with the night

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0865471185, Paperback)

One of the most beautifully crafted books I have ever read, with some of the most poetic prose passages I could imagine, such as the following, resonating with a stately and timeless quality so absent in our modern life:
There are all kinds of silences and each of them means a different thing. There is the silence that comes with morning in a forest, and this is different from the silence of a sleeping city. There is silence after a rainstorm, and before a rainstorm, and these are not the same. There is the silence of emptiness, the silence of fear, the silence of doubt. There is a certain silence that can emanate from a lifeless object as from a chair lately used, or from a piano with old dust upon its keys, or from anything that has answered to the need of a man, for pleasure or for work. This kind of silence can speak. Its voice may be melancholy, but it is not always so; for the chair may have been left by a laughing child or the last notes of the piano may have been raucous and gay. Whatever the mood or the circumstance, the essence of its quality may linger in the silence that follows. It is a soundless echo.
Born in England in 1902, Markham was taken by her father to East Africa in 1906. She spent her childhood playing with native Maruni children and apprenticing with her father as a trainer and breeder of racehorses. In the 1930s, she became an African bush pilot, and in September 1936, became the first person to fly solo across the Atlantic from east to west.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:26 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,848,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible