The Adventuress by Audrey Niffenegger

The Adventuress (2006)

by Audrey Niffenegger

199859,063 (3.34)41

I don't really know how to describe this - experimental and really really weird? Some of the illustrations were really interesting (I especially liked the theme of hands and eyes), others I didn't like much. I think in the end it was an interesting way of telling a story, the way she went about it and the content itself, but it wasn't really for me. ( )
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
Nice to see after reading the exhibition cat. from her mid-career retrospective. The original artist's book must be gorgeous and arresting. ( )
  beckydj | Jan 19, 2014 |
A picture book for adults, with a simple but engaging story. I wouldn't be rushing to read any more of this sort of book by Niffenegger but I definitely enjoyed it. ( )
  juniperjungle | Apr 16, 2013 |
  juniperjungle | Apr 16, 2013 |
The surreal story of a woman built by an alchemist, wearing a long skirt and evening gloves and nothing else, who is abducted, transforms into a moth, has a love affair with Napoleon and gives birth to a cat. Feels extremely close to the works of Edward Gorey in story and in the stylistic approach of the art. Beautiful. ( )
  catfantastic | May 11, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 081097052X, Hardcover)

The author of the New York Times bestseller The Time Traveler’s Wife returns with another evocative “novel in pictures,” the much-anticipated follow-up to 2005’s The Three Incestuous Sisters. The Adventuress follows the dreamlike journey of an alchemist’s daughter. After she is kidnapped by a lascivious baron, she turns herself into a moth and flees to the garden of a charming butterfly collector named Napoleon Bonaparte. The story of how the two become lovers, and how their affair ends in tragedy and transcendence, is told through Niffenegger’s spare prose and haunting aquatint etchings. With a stunning and distinctive visual style reminiscent of the work of Edward Gorey, this gothic romance packs the emotional heft of the world’s great fairy tales. It will delight fans of the author’s previous works and enchant an entirely new legion of readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:48 -0400)

The much-anticipated follow-up to 2005s The Three Incestuous Sisters. The Adventuress follows the dreamlike journey of an alchemists daughter. After she is kidnapped by a lascivious baron, she turns herself into a moth and flees to the garden of a charming butterfly collector named Napoleon Bonaparte. The story of how the two become lovers, and how their affair ends in tragedy and transcendence, is told through Niffeneggers spare prose and haunting aquatint etchings. With a stunning and distinctive visual style reminiscent of the work of Edward Gorey, this gothic romance packs the emotional heft of the worlds great fairy tales.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,448,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible