The Peacekeepers by Gene DeWeese
Exploring a deserted alien spaceship, Lt. Commander Data and Lt. Geordi LaForge suddenly find themselves transported light-years away -- into the prison cell, into the middle of a deadly conflict! While Captain Picard and the crew of the U.S.S. EnterpriseTM search feverishly for the missing crewmen, Data and LaForge discover they are in a station almost identical to the one they were exploring, high in orbit around an Earth-type world. Years before, the occupants of that planet accidentally stumbled onto the ship and its advanced technology -- and since then have used its weapons to keep the nations on the planet below disarmed, and at peace. Now their own arrival has precipitated a crisis on the station. Somehow, Data and LaForge must find a way to restore trust between the planet below and the station's guardians up above -- before a final, destructive war breaks out!… (more)

Being very early in the TNG timeline, both show and novel, this was "nothing more" than a parable of our world and future potentially going astray if we don't get our act together. Low-tech and unknowingly inaccurate (it claims Geordi has no physical eyes vs. just being blind), but the episodic beats were predictably hit. The ending was an incredible farce of eye-widening "really?!" ( )
  morbusiff | Sep 20, 2018 |
For Becky Bontreger
You were there when I couldn't be,
and you did more for her than I could
ever have done. . .
Thanks.
"It was a wild-goose chase, Number One, but I have to admit I am not at all displeased at that."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,971,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible