The Land of the Silver Apples by Nancy…

The Land of the Silver Apples

by Nancy Farmer

Series: Sea of Trolls (2)

The Land of Silver Apples by Nancy Farmer is the second volume in her Sea of Trolls Trilogy. I was totally enchanted by the first book, but this one didn’t quite cast the same spell upon me. I found it overly long and it wasn’t able to hold my interest. I also missed those rough and tumble Viking characters. I also found the Nordic mythology much more interesting than the Celtic myths that were explored in this book.

In this outing Jack’s spoiled and unlikeable younger sister is spirited away by elves and Jack, after his magic goes astray and he accidently causes an earthquake, is sent to both recover his sister and find the water that drained away during the quake. His companions are a slave called Brutus, a disfigured girl called Pega, and Thorgil, the shield maiden. Along the way they fall in with hobgoblins, whose king decides he has fallen in love with Pega, and meet both a priest and a half-elven princess that play an important role in the story.

The story of Jack’s sister has been resolved and I am glad to see the end of the unlikeable Lucy as a main character. The last book will probably deal with both Torgil and Pega, and hopefully see Jack become the bard that he is training to be. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Aug 13, 2015 |
As a sequel, I felt that the book was somewhat forced. I would have also liked some more resolution as far as Thorgil and Jack (since they were key characters in both books). As a story unto itself I thought that Farmer proved very intriguing and creative, as usual, and it kept me pretty well hooked until the end. ( )
  swampygirl | Dec 9, 2013 |
Young bard Jack is back, with Thorgil the shield-maiden, and new companions including Pega, a freed slave. This time there's elves, hobgoblins, scary monks and okay monks, Picts, and kelpies. For reals, people! If you like your YA fantasy full of earth-loving anti-slavery young people who eshew traditional gender roles and are critical of Christian religion without being dismissive of actual Christian thought, maybe you'll like this as much as I did. ( )
  anderlawlor | Apr 9, 2013 |
I really liked this sequel to The Sea of Trolls. There were a couple of credulity-straining moments, but they were pretty minor when considered against the well-researched, compellingly told story. I especially enjoyed the Norse/Christian byplay- there were times I guffawed at the monks. Excellently written, highly recommended. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Something goes dreadfully wrong at the ceremony to kindle the need-fire. And that leads to a pilgrimage to St. Filian's Well by the Bard, Jack, the newly emancipated slave Pegga, and Jack’s father and sister Lucy. But at St. Filian's Jack unwittingly sets off an earthquake and Lucy runs off with an elf, so what started as a pilgrimage turns into an underground rescue mission to Elfland.

As she did with Norse mythology in The Sea of Trolls, Farmer now mines Celtic and Germanic mythology and folklore in its sequel. Her mixture of characters, Pagan and Christian, Saxon and Viking, human and non-human, provide humorous counterpoint to each other on the way to and from Elfland as they battle monsters and spells with the aid of (mostly) friendly hobgoblins and in spite of the beautiful but callous elves. ( )
  MaowangVater | Dec 25, 2012 |

Nancy Farmerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bastia, ValeriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was the middle of the night when the rooster crowed.

After escaping from the Sea of Trolls, the apprentice bard Jack plunges into a new series of adventures, traveling underground to Elfland and uncovering the truth about his little sister Lucy.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,968,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible