The Land of the Silver Apples by Nancy…

The Land of the Silver Apples

by Nancy Farmer

Series: Sea of Trolls (2)

4771521,645 (4)23

As a sequel, I felt that the book was somewhat forced. I would have also liked some more resolution as far as Thorgil and Jack (since they were key characters in both books). As a story unto itself I thought that Farmer proved very intriguing and creative, as usual, and it kept me pretty well hooked until the end. ( )
  KingdomOfOdd | Dec 9, 2013 |
Young bard Jack is back, with Thorgil the shield-maiden, and new companions including Pega, a freed slave. This time there's elves, hobgoblins, scary monks and okay monks, Picts, and kelpies. For reals, people! If you like your YA fantasy full of earth-loving anti-slavery young people who eshew traditional gender roles and are critical of Christian religion without being dismissive of actual Christian thought, maybe you'll like this as much as I did. ( )
  anderlawlor | Apr 9, 2013 |
I really liked this sequel to The Sea of Trolls. There were a couple of credulity-straining moments, but they were pretty minor when considered against the well-researched, compellingly told story. I especially enjoyed the Norse/Christian byplay- there were times I guffawed at the monks. Excellently written, highly recommended. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Something goes dreadfully wrong at the ceremony to kindle the need-fire. And that leads to a pilgrimage to St. Filian's Well by the Bard, Jack, the newly emancipated slave Pegga, and Jack’s father and sister Lucy. But at St. Filian's Jack unwittingly sets off an earthquake and Lucy runs off with an elf, so what started as a pilgrimage turns into an underground rescue mission to Elfland.

As she did with Norse mythology in The Sea of Trolls, Farmer now mines Celtic and Germanic mythology and folklore in its sequel. Her mixture of characters, Pagan and Christian, Saxon and Viking, human and non-human, provide humorous counterpoint to each other on the way to and from Elfland as they battle monsters and spells with the aid of (mostly) friendly hobgoblins and in spite of the beautiful but callous elves. ( )
  MaowangVater | Dec 25, 2012 |
Jack, the Bard’s apprentice, sets off on a rescue quest when his sister Lucy is kidnapped by Elves. His companions are an unreliable slave/rightful-heir-to-the-throne and a recently freed girl-slave who worships the ground Jack walks on. They meet many magical creatures, re-discover some old friends, and have lots of exciting adventures along the way. I thought this was an excellent sequel to Sea of Trolls. It expanded the mythology of the land while developing the characters already introduced in the first book. I really appreciated the way Farmer handled the three religions that were represented by her characters in this 790AD Britain-based world. She showed the power and beauty of the Pagans as well as the Christians and subtly made the point that they all got their believers where they needed to go—but she did this without forcing the point or lecturing, which is the sign of excellent story-telling! My only quibble about this book is that most of the major plot threads were completed by page 400, leaving 100 pages for the final (and least pressing) plot thread. This is why the book got 4 instead of 5 stars. ( )
  The_Hibernator | Mar 28, 2012 |

Nancy Farmerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bastia, ValeriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was the middle of the night when the rooster crowed.

After escaping from the Sea of Trolls, the apprentice bard Jack plunges into a new series of adventures, traveling underground to Elfland and uncovering the truth about his little sister Lucy.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,346,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible