Quidditch Through the Ages by J. K. Rowling
7,14564499 (3.57)1 / 90

English (61)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All (1)  French (1)  All (65)
Better than Fantastic Beasts - it is a much easier read. Makes me yearn for Rowling to publish Bathilda Bagshot's "A History of Magic" ( )
  mcj545 | Mar 14, 2017 |
This is presented as a history of Harry Potter's favorite sport, quidditch supposedly written by Kennilworthy Whisp. This is supposed to be a duplicate of the Hogwarts library copy which was protected from defacement by powerful curses, so it does not have the mildly amusing graffiti by Harry and his friend Ron Wesley which adorned the companion volume Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. The main part of the book is, as the title says, a history of quidditch from the development of the flying broomstick (dated to 962 AD) through early broomstick games to the earliest reference to quidditch in the eleventh century. and later additions to the game, the most important being the development of the Golden Snitch to replace the use of a live bird, the Snidget (also described in Fantastic Beasts). The history proper is followed by descriptions of the roles of different players (keeper, beaters, chasers, seeker), rules and fouls, with a short comment on the hard life of the referee, and then accounts of all 13 professional teams in the British/Irish league ad selected well-known teas world wide. As with soccer, on which it is modeled, quidditch is not as popular in the Americas due to a local rival, Quodpot, played with an exploding ball. There is a chapter on the development of the racing broom, leading up to the Nimbus featured in the Harry stories, and finally a description of popular quidditch moves like the Wronski Feint. Overall, I think this volume is more coherent and consistently amusing than the Fantastic Beasts, though if this book became a movie, it should be a pseudo-documentary. ( )
  antiquary | Jan 31, 2017 |
Cute & fun ( )
  nx74defiant | Aug 15, 2016 |
History of all things Quidditch ( )
  MinDea | Jul 5, 2016 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I have a confession to make: I'm not a big fan of Quidditch. At my first reading of Harry Potter I didn't particularly liked the world championship at the start of book four and I think that was the reason why I hadn't read this booklet before now.

All questions you (n)ever had about Quidditch will be answered in this little book brought to you from the Hogwarts Library.

I found it to be very entertaining. Of course, it mostly reads as a course book, which in itself might not be that amusing, but being back in the Potter universe is a lot of fun. Besides there are some interesting 'facts' on Quidditch and its history.

I would certainly recommend it to fans of the series. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
With thanks to J.K. Rowling for creating this book and so generously giving all her royalties to Comic Relief.
Kennilworthy Whisp is a renowned Quidditch expert (and, he says, fanatic).

A copy of a book from the library at Hogwart's, the school where Harry Potter and other young wizards receive their training, providing information about history and conduct of Quidditch, a sport played by competing teams on flying brooms.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,249,956 books! | Top bar: Always visible