Unveiled by Francine Rivers

Unveiled (2000)

by Francine Rivers

Series: Lineage of Grace (1)

It is a good thing that i wear waterproof eye makeup! I listened to the last section of this book on my to to work. Although this book is mostly fiction in the dialog and some of the storyline, the core of it is 100% scripture.
This is a great story of a strong, courageous, and righteous young Canaanite woman who found a great faith in the Unseen God of Abraham. Isaac, and Jacob. it is also a remarkable and wonderful story of the redemption of a man named Judah .
I love the way Francine uses scripture for dialog as well. it shows how scripture permeates our life, to give us hope, strength and courage.
Now.....time for the next book of the women in the linage of Christ....Rahab. ( )
  slhayes | Jul 2, 2016 |
The Lineage of Grace series consists of 5 books, all fictional accounts of biblical women in the genealogy of Christ. Rivers does a good job portraying each of the famous characters and giving their point of view in the unique situations. Most people are familiar with at least some of these stories, but reading a personal account shines a different light on the well-trod ground. The five books are listed below with the title and the woman they feature.

Unveiled – Tamar
Unashamed - Rahab
Unshaken - Ruth
Unspoken - Bathsheba
Unafraid - Mary

My favorite two of the series are Unveiled and Unshaken. I’ve always loved Ruth’s story and I knew very little about Tamar’s story. My lease favorite was Unspoken, which tells the story of David and Bathsheba. It was hard to connect to the characters' selfish motives.

One aspect I really like about the books is the fact that River prints the complete Biblical passage at the end. That allows the reader to see what she took from scripture and what she fictionalized. There’s also a devotional with relevant questions at the end of each book. I think they would be perfect for a small women’s Bible study or something similar, because the questions could spark good discussion. ( )
1 vote bookworm12 | May 26, 2011 |
NO OF PAGES: 173 SUB CAT I: Fiction SUB CAT II: Bible Stories SUB CAT III: DESCRIPTION: Five women whom God chose, each was faced with extraordinary-even scandalous-challenges. Each took great personal risk to fulfill her calling. Each was destined to play a key role in the lineage of Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world. With her hallmark touches of brilliant prose and gripping characterizations, Francine Rivers tells these women's stories in a way you've never heard before. Remaining true to the facts given in Scripture, she brings these long-ago women to life and lets them speak to us in new and life-changing ways. In "Unveiled", you'll meet Tamar, who risked her life to be the woman she was called to be. Learn along with her the overwhelming truth that God uses our circumstances and our steps toward him, however faltering, to fulfill his plan.NOTES: SUBTITLE: One of five unlikely women who changed eternity. A Novella.
  BeitHallel | Feb 18, 2011 |
This was a wonderful book. It was so inspiring. I learned alot that I intend to apply to my life. Tamar was a couragious, faithful woman who got what she intended to get. I wish I were more like her. When I get to heaven I am going to find her and thank her for her persisance. ( )
  RPerritt | May 19, 2010 |
I really like Francine Rivers because her stories bring Biblical stories to life for me. I appreciate the way she provides details of the setting and fills in the gaps with dialogue so that I can visualize, "hear", and "feel" with the characters. One of my biggest obstacles when it comes to reading the Bible is not being able to identify with the characters and the times. Francine Rivers bridges that gap for me without embelishing too much so that we stray from the Biblical message. It is important for me that an author stays as true to the Biblical story as possible. I am not interested in turning the Bible into a soap opera like some re-telling authors do. I am looking for just enough dialogue and detail to bring the characters to life and make them memorable. Francine River's stories do that for me. ( )
  TammyPhillips | Jan 5, 2010 |

Francine Riversprimary authorall editionscalculated
Visser-Slofstra, MargrietTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To those who have been abused and used and yearn for justice.
When Tamar saw Judah leading a donkey burdened with sacks and a fine rug, she took her hoe and ran to the farthest border of her father's land.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0842319476, Hardcover)

Unveiled is the first in award-winning veteran author Francine Rivers' Lineage of Grace series of five novellas, which feature biblical women in the genealogy of Christ: Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, Bathsheba, and Mary. This dramatic retelling of the scandalous risks Tamar must take to ensure her place in biblical history showcases Rivers' ability to sketch a short vignette of an ancient character and bring her to life in the minds of contemporary readers. The twin themes of sin's consequences and God's redemption resonate throughout the pages of this engrossing novella. --Cindy Crosby

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:18 -0400)

Her name meant "date palm," and like her namesake, Tamar hoped to survive the harsh environment she was placed in: to bend but not to break. Rubbed with scented oil and arrayed in wedding finery, 14-year-old Tamar is thrust into a world of abuse, betrayal, and disillusionment when she is given in marriage to an evil, idol-worshiping man. In the face of her suffering, she must make choices: Will she let her new husband, Er, destroy her innocence and corrupt her? Will she leave the religion of the Canaanites and embrace the God of the Hebrews despite the life of misery she is cast into? Or will she fall into despair and become as wicked as her husband and his brothers?… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,581,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible